Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help!!!

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:35 PM
  • 7 Replies

hey ladies ;)

i'm fairly new to cafe mom. My name is Niko and i am proud mother of two -new york city dreamer-  mary quite contrary- ++++. what brings me here today??? desesperation.  

my son is four years old, he was diagnosed with PDD @ age 3. for the last two years he has attended a special pre-school that has helped him substancially.Trust me... the things that's he learned and how he's progressed in such a short of amount of time has me @ a total loss for words... I'm tryuly grateful for his teacher's and all the people in his corner.   last friday, i attended my son's Parent Teacher Conference, there i found out this summer would be his last year there. I was happy to hear his Teacher's remarks, however i couldn't help but think about how hard it was to find a SUITABLE FULL Day program; and how difficult it was to get that program approved.  I got sooooo worked up about it, that on my way home i actually got off on the wrong exit and ended up in Paramus. (i don't live in New Jersey, I live in New York)

so this is where i'm at: 

i'm searching for an elementary school that has a smaller setting similar to the CABAS school that he's currently attending before it's tooo late and i have to settle for whatever the board of ed' deems adequate. (noooooooooooooo)

fact:  

• i had to advocate for my son's OT PT & ST
  • i also had to lobby for him to be placed in a Full Day program vs Half Day. 
  • i have google'd my bum of for the last 3 hours... i feel as though i'm slowly becoming insane. 
  • i don't really know what i'm doing, yes... i stalk my local library... but i need some help. 

sisters in arms, mothers for the cause... 
do any of you know or remember the name of a/the elementary school that your child may have gone to, or you've heard of? i could really use the help...  the location doesn't really matter that much. i'm willing to move in order to get my son the help he needs. 

thank you... (sigh)  

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
twins0506
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:13 PM
Have they told you where he will be going next? My boys are still in preschool so I don't know what the next step is but I *thought* they had to be reevaluated before being sent into an elementary school. And then I guess from there they would pick a class size. I have no idea though hopefully someone else can help you.

Oh and I'm in new york to! I'm in queens where are you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicksmom217
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

the school he is in now, should give you some recommendations, that is the way usually works is far is i know.

RockinMama0608
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

As far as any good schools for autism, I do not know many locations.  If I am correct, I think there are some in the Northeast (Massachusetts, Upstate NY, etc). 

Have you talked to other elementary schools in the city to see if he would qualify for programs?  If you are not sure where to turn, I would try talking to the school for recommendations or asking your child's pediatrician for some ideas (or OT, PT, ST).  I wish you the best of luck and welcome to the group!

-SeReNDiPiTy-
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:02 PM

well his iep is due to be revised next year around the same time that he'll be graduating... so yes, we'll probably be discussing all of that at a later date. right now his classroom's ratio is 4-1. his teacher had said that she feels that he would do well in a class with a 12-1 ratio...  i'm just trying to get a head start on the whole situation. ;) 

i'm in riverdale by the way. ;) 

RockinMama0608
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:05 PM

It is good to have a head start and knowing plans for our kids in the future.  That is great that he has improved so much though!!

-SeReNDiPiTy-
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:08 PM

all extremely helpful and insightful suggestions, thank you soooooo much!!! i will definitely reach out to his pediatrician and to his school. i thought about asking well harrassing the board the ed for a list of schools. i heard about something called district 75. anyone heard of it or familiar with them? 

ROGUEM
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I would go to a couple of support groups in your area.  Ask every mother there what the best school is.  This is how I knew what schools to request when the boys got ready to start kindergarten.  They are both in school not in my district because there were better ones else where.  You need to talk the real experts of schools......parents that have had children in them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)