Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My younger son...

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM
  • 5 Replies
So he's almost two. His language is delayed but he is catching up. He is differently sensory seeking. He walks on his tip toes and he stims by spinning. But he has wonderful eye contact and joint attention skills. Hmmmm. I don't know weather to call for a referral or not. He will go to his two year checkup in January. Would you be worried at this point? By the way he doesn't hang with kids his own age but is very aggressive to his older brother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
RockinMama0608
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:33 PM

If you are concerned for any reason I think you should call for a referral, especially if you have other children on the spectrum.  

Since he has his two year checkup in January, you could wait to discuss it with his doctor then.  Good luck!

ROGUEM
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Tip-toe walking, stimming, spinning, speech delay, aggression, social delays are all the main symptoms of autism.  I would get him tested.   Most of these are almost exclusive autism traits.   Stephen did all of these at 2 except the aggression and he is 8 and still doing them.  If he doesn't have autism then he definitely has SPD and still needs therapy.  You will want to work on that tip toe walking ASAP, my son is about to wear braces because he wasn't diagnosed till he was older.

If he isn't autistic then your mind will be put to rest.  If he is then you can get him the help he needs at a very early age when it is the most beneficial.

HUGS

-SeReNDiPiTy-
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:38 PM

honey, your concerns are more than valid. i have a one year old son and a 4 year old  son who's on spectrum and i worry about the exact same thing.  talk to your pediatrician, or the social worker @ his/her office. 

my advice?

don't catastrophize!!!
get him checked out, 
you don't lose or risk anything by calling early intervention and setting up an evaluation. if anything, you get peace of mind. ;)

RochelleFS
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:03 PM
I agree, get it checked out. If nothing else you will have peace of mind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kittie26
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Quoting -SeReNDiPiTy-:

honey, you concerns are more than valid. i have a one year old son and a 4 year old  son who's on spectrum and i worry about the exact same thing.  talk to your pediatrician, or the social worker @ his/her office. 

my advice?

don't catastrophize!!!
get him checked out, 
you don't lose or risk anything by calling early intervention and setting up an evaluation. if anything, you get peace of mind. ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)