Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your child exhibit these classic symptoms they use for diagnosis?

Posted by   + Show Post

Does your child exhibit these classic symptoms they use for diagnosis?

Since I have more that one I answered below :)

I thought this might help new members who are trying to decide if their children have autism or not.  Many times if a child doesn't exhibit a couple of these, they want to conclude that their child can't have autism.  I know I thought this in the early days too.  You want to cling to anything. I wish I could have seen that there are many autistic people that  do only a handful of the things on this list.  It would have made me accept it sooner.  By showing that your child doesn't have to have all of them to have autism, maybe a mom might realize the list is not all inclusive. 

I also think it is interesting to see the similiarites and differences between our children.  I know my 3 are so different.

Some autistic traits could include:

• Scatter/splinter skills of abilities –
    • such as poor gross motor or fine motor skills and the ability to read at a very young age
  • Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain
  • Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness”
  • Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia)
  • Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums
  • Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.)
  • Activity is noticeably under active or over active
  • Excessive or frequent tantrums
  • Can be aggressive or self injurious
  • Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits
  • Autistics can act deaf or be non responsive to verbal cues
  • Odd play such as; spinning objects, or using toys for something besides there their intended purpose or using an odd attraction to an item that is inappropriate for age
  • Non existent or poor eye contact
  • Non responsive to typical teaching methods
  • May respond negatively to crowds or not able to mix well with others
  • Difficulty with holding a conversation
  • May not like hugs, or to be cuddled.
  • Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells
  • Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level)
  • Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods they’ll eat to a very limited few items when previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.)
  • A high amount of severe food allergies
  • History of chronic ear infections as an infant
  • Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools.
  • Lack of imaginative play or imitation.
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 10:46 AM
Replies (131-133):
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Amber

• such as poor gross motor or fine motor skills and the ability to read at a very young age YES
  • Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain- YES
  • Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness”- NO
  • Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia) SOMETIMES
  • Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums YES
  • Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.) NO
  • Activity is noticeably under active or over active YES
  • Excessive or frequent tantrums- Yes & No (Only when expected to do things that she didn't want to do or understand)
  • Can be aggressive or self injurious- SOMETIMES
  • Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits- YES & NO- Likes being social but has social deficits
  • Autistics can act deaf or be non responsive to verbal cues- Not really
  • Odd play such as; spinning objects, or using toys for something besides there their intended purpose or using an odd attraction to an item that is inappropriate for age- NOT until an older age (lining toys)
  • Non existent or poor eye contact NO
  • Non responsive to typical teaching methods NO but sometimes
  • May respond negatively to crowds or not able to mix well with others NO
  • Difficulty with holding a conversation NO
  • May not like hugs, or to be cuddled. YES
  • Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells YES
  • Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level) YES
  • Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods they’ll eat to a very limited few items when previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.) YES
  • A high amount of severe food allergies NO
  • History of chronic ear infections as an infant NO
  • Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools. NO
  • Lack of imaginative play or imitation. NO
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:28 PM

MARKUS

• such as poor gross motor or fine motor skills and the ability to read at a very young age YES
  • Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain
  • Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness” YES
  • Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia) YES
  • Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums YES BUT ONLY AS A YOUNG TODDLER
  • Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.) NO
  • Activity is noticeably under active or over active YES OVERACTIVE
  • Excessive or frequent tantrums YES BUT WORSE AS A 2 YEAR OLD
  • Can be aggressive or self injurious ONLY AS A  YOUNG TODDLER
  • Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits DOESN'T PREFER TO BE ALONE BUT DOES HAVE TROUBLE WITH SOCIAL SKILLS
  • Autistics can act deaf or be non responsive to verbal cues ONLY AS A BABY AND YOUNG TODDLER
  • Odd play such as; spinning objects, or using toys for something besides there their intended purpose or using an odd attraction to an item that is inappropriate for age YES BUT NOT NOTICEABLE
  • Non existent or poor eye contact NO
  • Non responsive to typical teaching methods SOMEWHAT
  • May respond negatively to crowds or not able to mix well with others YES
  • Difficulty with holding a conversation SOMETIMES
  • May not like hugs, or to be cuddled. NO LOVES DEEP PRESSURE HUGS 
  • Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells YES
  • Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level) YES
  • Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods they’ll eat to a very limited few items when previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.) YES
  • A high amount of severe food allergies YES
  • History of chronic ear infections as an infant NO
  • Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools. YES
  • Lack of imaginative play or imitation. A LITTLE PRETEND PLAY
tonijoy79
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 7:09 PM

i was wondering about my sons diagnoses until i read this, brad is high functioning, and when we are with professionals or with new people you cant see it in him at all. when he is comfortable, at home and with my friends and family we see almost everyday, then he shows over 3/4 of all of those. i was hoping the diagnoses was wrong, that he was normal, i see so many worse than brad, then i read the list and i was like, yes, yes yes damn it. thanks for posting it, it would help to clear it up not just for me but for a lot of people.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)