Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Does your child exhibit these classic symptoms they use for diagnosis?

Posted by   + Show Post

Does your child exhibit these classic symptoms they use for diagnosis?

Since I have more that one I answered below :)

I thought this might help new members who are trying to decide if their children have autism or not.  Many times if a child doesn't exhibit a couple of these, they want to conclude that their child can't have autism.  I know I thought this in the early days too.  You want to cling to anything. I wish I could have seen that there are many autistic people that  do only a handful of the things on this list.  It would have made me accept it sooner.  By showing that your child doesn't have to have all of them to have autism, maybe a mom might realize the list is not all inclusive. 

I also think it is interesting to see the similiarites and differences between our children.  I know my 3 are so different.

Some autistic traits could include:

• Scatter/splinter skills of abilities –
    • such as poor gross motor or fine motor skills and the ability to read at a very young age
  • Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain
  • Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness”
  • Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia)
  • Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums
  • Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.)
  • Activity is noticeably under active or over active
  • Excessive or frequent tantrums
  • Can be aggressive or self injurious
  • Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits
  • Autistics can act deaf or be non responsive to verbal cues
  • Odd play such as; spinning objects, or using toys for something besides there their intended purpose or using an odd attraction to an item that is inappropriate for age
  • Non existent or poor eye contact
  • Non responsive to typical teaching methods
  • May respond negatively to crowds or not able to mix well with others
  • Difficulty with holding a conversation
  • May not like hugs, or to be cuddled.
  • Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells
  • Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level)
  • Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods they’ll eat to a very limited few items when previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.)
  • A high amount of severe food allergies
  • History of chronic ear infections as an infant
  • Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools.
  • Lack of imaginative play or imitation.
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 10:46 AM
Replies (141-142):
cheribabii831
by New Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Quoting ROGUEM:

• Scatter/splinter skills of abilities –idk
    • such as poor gross motor or fine motor skills and the ability to read at a very young age
  • Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain
  • Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness” dont think so
  • Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia) i'm not sure i understand what this is?
  • Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums yes
  • Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.) yes
  • Activity is noticeably under active or over active
  • Excessive or frequent tantrums sometimes she will be way overly dramatic about a situation but i wouldnt call it a tantrum
  • Can be aggressive or self injurious
  • Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits she likes to socialize but often gets irritated with her sister wanting to play with her
  • Autistics can act deaf or be non responsive to verbal cues yes - feels like she's either not paying attention or is ignoring you
  • Odd play such as; spinning objects, or using toys for something besides there their intended purpose or using an odd attraction to an item that is inappropriate for age yes
  • Non existent or poor eye contact yes
  • Non responsive to typical teaching methods i'm not sure, she's really smart but homework time is definitely difficult for me when trying to get through to her and teach her
  • May respond negatively to crowds or not able to mix well with others again, she's very social but a lot of the kids at school don't like her or don't want to be her friend because she's overly hyper and has to touch everything, which gets them in trouble
  • Difficulty with holding a conversation yes
  • May not like hugs, or to be cuddled. no
  • Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells she gets irritated with things like hair in her face but i'm not sure it's anything abnormal
  • Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level) i'm not sure
  • Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods they’ll eat to a very limited few items when previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.) no, she'll eat anything
  • A high amount of severe food allergies no
  • History of chronic ear infections as an infant yes
  • Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools. no
  • Lack of imaginative play or imitation. no

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:53 PM

jayden

• Scatter/splinter skills of abilities –
    • such as poor gross motor or fine motor skills and the ability to read at a very young age yes
  • Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain yes
  • Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness” yes
  • Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia) yes
  • Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums yes
  • Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.) no
  • Activity is noticeably under active or over active yes
  • Excessive or frequent tantrums yes
  • Can be aggressive or self injurious yes
  • Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits yes
  • Autistics can act deaf or be non responsive to verbal cues yes
  • Odd play such as; spinning objects, or using toys for something besides there their intended purpose or using an odd attraction to an item that is inappropriate for age yes
  • Non existent or poor eye contact yes
  • Non responsive to typical teaching methods yes
  • May respond negatively to crowds or not able to mix well with others yes
  • Difficulty with holding a conversation yes
  • May not like hugs, or to be cuddled. no
  • Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells yes
  • Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level) yes
  • Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods they’ll eat to a very limited few items when  previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.) no
  • A high amount of severe food allergies  some
  • History of chronic ear infections as an infant yes
  • Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools. no
  • Lack of imaginative play or imitation. no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)