Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Does your child exhibit these classic symptoms they use for diagnosis?

Posted by   + Show Post

Does your child exhibit these classic symptoms they use for diagnosis?

Since I have more that one I answered below :)

I thought this might help new members who are trying to decide if their children have autism or not.  Many times if a child doesn't exhibit a couple of these, they want to conclude that their child can't have autism.  I know I thought this in the early days too.  You want to cling to anything. I wish I could have seen that there are many autistic people that  do only a handful of the things on this list.  It would have made me accept it sooner.  By showing that your child doesn't have to have all of them to have autism, maybe a mom might realize the list is not all inclusive. 

I also think it is interesting to see the similiarites and differences between our children.  I know my 3 are so different.

Some autistic traits could include:

• Scatter/splinter skills of abilities –
    • such as poor gross motor or fine motor skills and the ability to read at a very young age
  • Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain
  • Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness”
  • Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia)
  • Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums
  • Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.)
  • Activity is noticeably under active or over active
  • Excessive or frequent tantrums
  • Can be aggressive or self injurious
  • Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits
  • Autistics can act deaf or be non responsive to verbal cues
  • Odd play such as; spinning objects, or using toys for something besides there their intended purpose or using an odd attraction to an item that is inappropriate for age
  • Non existent or poor eye contact
  • Non responsive to typical teaching methods
  • May respond negatively to crowds or not able to mix well with others
  • Difficulty with holding a conversation
  • May not like hugs, or to be cuddled.
  • Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells
  • Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level)
  • Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods they’ll eat to a very limited few items when previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.)
  • A high amount of severe food allergies
  • History of chronic ear infections as an infant
  • Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools.
  • Lack of imaginative play or imitation.
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 10:46 AM
Replies (21-30):
ames33
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 10:06 AM

• Scatter/splinter skills of abilities – yes 
    • such as poor gross motor or fine motor skills and the ability to read at a very young age
  • Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain yes 
  • Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness” yes
  • Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia) yes
  • Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums no and yes 
  • Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.) sometimes but not always 
  • Activity is noticeably under active or over active yes 
  • Excessive or frequent tantrums yes 
  • Can be aggressive or self injurious yes 
  • Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits  no she wants to be with people but people don't  want to be with her ( other children ) 
  • Autistics can act deaf or be non responsive to verbal cues no 
  • Odd play such as; spinning objects, or using toys for something besides there their intended purpose or using an odd attraction to an item that is inappropriate for age yes sometimes 
  • Non existent or poor eye contact yes fleeting 
  • Non responsive to typical teaching methods no 
  • May respond negatively to crowds or not able to mix well with others sometimes 
  • Difficulty with holding a conversation yes they are normally one sided her being the only one allowed to talk lol 
  • May not like hugs, or to be cuddled. She loves it 
  • Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells
  •  yes 
  • Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level) no 
  • Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods they’ll eat to a very limited few items when previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.) no 
  • A high amount of severe food allergies no 
  • History of chronic ear infections as an infant no 
  • Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools. no 
  • Lack of imaginative play or imitation. it was very late in coming she was 6 when she started trying to imagine things 
Lesliemom2mzjm
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 1:21 PM

my Aspie son has about 2/3 of these, but they aren't extreme and/or he has improved tremendously over the past year or 2.  most of the time average people don't know that there is anything different.  he is excellent in public, so we don't have big melt downs in public where people look and point and think "wth, why is she putting up with that, or what in the WORLD is wrong with that kid, or worse ....if that were me I'd smack his butt".  has he ever been hard to deal with in public?  sure, but no longer.  My son has the BEST imaginative play, if it's on his own.  If you try to give him a scenario that HE hasn't created and ask him to play in it or describe someone who might take part, putting himself in someone elses shoes or position, he can't do it...he just can't imagine it.

potty training was super hard, but done by 5.  very picky eater, tho usually gives in and eats what the rest of us eat.  it's as simple as telling him he can excuse himself and go straight to bed if he doesn't eat.  He has most of the communication issues that you listed, but again, he seems to do OK and has friends.  He does fine in our family too.  He is rather charming despite his issues :)

tairakittie
by Member on Dec. 9, 2011 at 1:35 PM
Hmm, my son only has a SPD diagnosis as far as I know, but he checks under quite a few on this list. :/ it makes me wonder though if Autisim is genetic or enviromental, but I guess thats the ultimate question...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by Jackie on Dec. 9, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Quoting ROGUEM:

I

• Yes.
  • Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain Yes Highly over sensitive
  • Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness” Yes.  He has trouble with transition and anything unknown.
  • Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia) No
  • Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums Shutting down with frustration or crying
  • Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.)  Not really
  • Activity is noticeably under active or over active He is extreme - either over or under.
  • Excessive or frequent tantrums No
  • Can be aggressive or self injurious aggressive when angry/frustrated.
  • Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits Yes!!!!
  • Autistics can act deaf or be non responsive to verbal cues Yes - I assumed this was a male trait tho.....male pattern deafness???
  • Odd play such as; spinning objects, or using toys for something besides there their intended purpose or using an odd attraction to an item that is inappropriate for age Yes
  • Non existent or poor eye contact Poor eye contact.  When over stim his eyes almost zoom the room.
  • Non responsive to typical teaching methods Depends on the subject.  If it is tough, yes.
  • May respond negatively to crowds or not able to mix well with others This is where it is puzzling.  If you watch him, he will paralell play in a group.  Not play with peers.  But seems very social.
  • Difficulty with holding a conversation Jumps from topic to topic
  • May not like hugs, or to be cuddled. With others, me - he craves.
  • Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells YES!!!!  Dx of SPD
  • Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level) I have not noticed.
  • Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods they’ll eat to a very limited few items when previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.) Yes.
  • A high amount of severe food allergies Not a high amount, but Peanut Allergy.
  • History of chronic ear infections as an infant No - he was breastfed until 2 and he had chiropractic when even he showed "signs" such as rubbing his cheek before the infection set in. 
  • Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools. Not that I am aware of.
  • Lack of imaginative play or imitation.He has started to develop this more as he has gotten older.  He does this with his brother. 

Imagine driving a car that isn't working well. When you step on the gas the car sometimes lurches forward and sometimes doesn't respond. When you blow the horn it sounds blaring. The brakes sometimes slow the car, but not always. The blinkers work occasionally, the steering is erratic, and the speedometer is inaccurate. You are engaged in a constant struggle to keep the car on the road, and it is difficult to concentrate on anything else. -Stanley Greenspan
Medications and Mother's Milk - Group Owner  

Hottubgodess
by Jackie on Dec. 9, 2011 at 2:31 PM

That is where we started, and we are now looking as Asperger's Syndrome.  :) 

Quoting tairakittie:

Hmm, my son only has a SPD diagnosis as far as I know, but he checks under quite a few on this list. :/ it makes me wonder though if Autisim is genetic or enviromental, but I guess thats the ultimate question...

Imagine driving a car that isn't working well. When you step on the gas the car sometimes lurches forward and sometimes doesn't respond. When you blow the horn it sounds blaring. The brakes sometimes slow the car, but not always. The blinkers work occasionally, the steering is erratic, and the speedometer is inaccurate. You are engaged in a constant struggle to keep the car on the road, and it is difficult to concentrate on anything else. -Stanley Greenspan
Medications and Mother's Milk - Group Owner  

gogetem
by Mama Duck on Dec. 9, 2011 at 2:35 PM
  • RED = YES
  • Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain
  • Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness”
  • Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia)
  • Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums
  • Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.)
  • Activity is noticeably under active or over active
  • Excessive or frequent tantrums
  • Can be aggressive or self injurious
  • Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits
  • Odd play such as; spinning objects, or using toys for something besides there their intended purpose or using an odd attraction to an item that is inappropriate for age
  • Non existent or poor eye contact
  • May not like hugs, or to be cuddled.
  • Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level)
  • Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods they’ll eat to a very limited few items when previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.)
  • History of chronic ear infections as an infant
  • Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools.
  • Lack of imaginative play or imitation.
    Telephus44
    by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 3:13 PM
      • such as poor gross motor or fine motor skills and the ability to read at a very young age - not sure about this.
    • Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain - yes.  Undersensitive as an infant/toddler.  Also undersensitive to temperature.
    • Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness” - NO
    • Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia) -YES
    • Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums - NO
    • Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.) - YES
    • Activity is noticeably under active or over active -YES
    • Excessive or frequent tantrums -NO
    • Can be aggressive or self injurious -NO
    • Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits -YES
    • Autistics can act deaf or be non responsive to verbal cues -YES
    • Odd play such as; spinning objects, or using toys for something besides there their intended purpose or using an odd attraction to an item that is inappropriate for age -YES
    • Non existent or poor eye contact -YES
    • Non responsive to typical teaching methods -YES
    • May respond negatively to crowds or not able to mix well with others -NO
    • Difficulty with holding a conversation -NO
    • May not like hugs, or to be cuddled. -YES as an infant/toddler
    • Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells -NO
    • Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level) -YES
    • Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods they’ll eat to a very limited few items when previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.) -NO
    • A high amount of severe food allergies -NO
    • History of chronic ear infections as an infant -NO
    • Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools. -NO
    • Lack of imaginative play or imitation. - YES as an infant/toddler
    hwifeandmom
    by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM

When my daughter was a toddler, I'd heard about Asperger's and that it could cause constipation.  I wasn't familiar with AS, and when I looked it up, at that point, I didn't feel my daughter met any of the criteria for AS.  I wasn't in denial -- she just didn't have stereotypical symptoms.  It wasn't until a few years later as I was reading about developmental delays and started visiting message boards where people posted their actual experiences with their kids that I started to feel like I was recognizing my kids in their symptoms.  My neurotyipcal son actually had more concerning symptoms (speech delays, sensory issues, etc) when he was younger than my AS kids did, so he got help from a young age, but they didn't.  

• such as poor gross motor or fine motor skills and the ability to read at a very young age   YES
    • Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain  YES - BOTH; they won't feel a gaping head wound, but if you barely touch them, they are oversensitive to it
    • Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums  SOMETIMES
    • Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.) SOMETIMES
    • Activity is noticeably under active or over active YES - UNDER ACTIVE
    • Excessive or frequent tantrums  SOMEWHAT but not necessarily
    • Can be aggressive or self injurious  SOMEWHAT
    • Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits  DON'T ALWAYS WANT TO BE ALONE (tho' ENJOYS THAT TOO), BUT DEFINITE SOCIAL DEFICITS
    • Non existent or poor eye contact SOMETIMES
    • May not like hugs, or to be cuddled.LIKES HUGS BUT HUGS MORE LIKE A HEAD BUTT
    • Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells SOME
    • Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods they’ll eat to a very limited few items when previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.)  HIGHLY LIMITED BUT ALWAYS THIS WAY EVEN AS INFANT
    • History of chronic ear infections as an infant  YES
    • Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools. YES - VERY SEVERE CONSTIPATION 
    • Lack of imaginative play or imitation. SOMEWHAT

TristansMom440
    by on Dec. 10, 2011 at 8:38 AM

• such as poor gross motor or fine motor skills and the ability to read at a very young age  YES
    • Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain NO
    • Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness” YES!!!
    • Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia) YES
    • Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums Yes, but has gotten better
    • Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.) NO
    • Activity is noticeably under active or over active Yeah, ball full of energy
    • Excessive or frequent tantrums Not as much as before
    • Can be aggressive or self injurious NO
    • Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits Not as bad as before
    • Autistics can act deaf or be non responsive to verbal cues NO
    • Non existent or poor eye contact  Yes, but much better than before
    • Non responsive to typical teaching methods yes
    • May respond negatively to crowds or not able to mix well with others YES!!!!!!
    • Difficulty with holding a conversationyes
    • May not like hugs, or to be cuddled.No
    • Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells YES
    • Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level) sometimes
    • Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods they’ll eat to a very limited few items when previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.)yes, but we're working on it
    • A high amount of severe food allergies No...some sensitivities, though
    • History of chronic ear infections as an infant NO..never had 1 ear infxn, ever!
    • Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools. no
    • Lack of imaginative play or imitation. yes, but he is starting to do pretend play now, just in the last few months.

aakeiser
    by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2011 at 3:05 PM

My son has some of the them. He likes alone time, sensitivity to pain or not, light, noises, didn't like to be touched, difficulty in talking, highly self-limited diet, acted deaf , and few others.. Okay, he hit most of them and he is highly functioning autism..All I can say if anyone's kids have a good number of these symptoms they should call their child's doctor and see what they think..

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)