Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Does your child exhibit these classic symptoms they use for diagnosis?

Posted by   + Show Post

Does your child exhibit these classic symptoms they use for diagnosis?

Since I have more that one I answered below :)

I thought this might help new members who are trying to decide if their children have autism or not.  Many times if a child doesn't exhibit a couple of these, they want to conclude that their child can't have autism.  I know I thought this in the early days too.  You want to cling to anything. I wish I could have seen that there are many autistic people that  do only a handful of the things on this list.  It would have made me accept it sooner.  By showing that your child doesn't have to have all of them to have autism, maybe a mom might realize the list is not all inclusive. 

I also think it is interesting to see the similiarites and differences between our children.  I know my 3 are so different.

Some autistic traits could include:

• Scatter/splinter skills of abilities –
    • such as poor gross motor or fine motor skills and the ability to read at a very young age
  • Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain
  • Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness”
  • Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia)
  • Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums
  • Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.)
  • Activity is noticeably under active or over active
  • Excessive or frequent tantrums
  • Can be aggressive or self injurious
  • Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits
  • Autistics can act deaf or be non responsive to verbal cues
  • Odd play such as; spinning objects, or using toys for something besides there their intended purpose or using an odd attraction to an item that is inappropriate for age
  • Non existent or poor eye contact
  • Non responsive to typical teaching methods
  • May respond negatively to crowds or not able to mix well with others
  • Difficulty with holding a conversation
  • May not like hugs, or to be cuddled.
  • Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells
  • Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level)
  • Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods they’ll eat to a very limited few items when previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.)
  • A high amount of severe food allergies
  • History of chronic ear infections as an infant
  • Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools.
  • Lack of imaginative play or imitation.
by on Dec. 8, 2011 at 10:46 AM
Replies (81-90):
desperatemom123
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM
I am going to get my son re evaluated because he has a lot of these traits but the drs were so focused on the eye contact with him. I think drs need to listen to the parents better we live with these children we know their symptoms.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
desperatemom123
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:12 PM
I am going to get my son re evaluated because he has a lot of these traits but the drs were so focused on the eye contact with him. I think drs need to listen to the parents better we live with these children we know their symptoms.
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:59 AM
For my son Markus who is diagnosed with "mild" ASD at 2.5... Forgive me I'm mobile so no colored text. I'll answer in caps.

Some autistic traits could Include:

Scatter/splinter skills of abilities –
such as poor gross motor or fine motor skills and the ability to read at a very young age-YES, YES, & CAN RECOGNIZE FAMILIAR WORDS AT 2

Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain- YES

Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness”- NOT AS BAD AS IT COULD BE

Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia)- YES & NO. STARTED LANGUAGE BY REPEATING PHRASES IN CONTEXT TO COMMUNICATE. STILL REPEATS THINGS A LOT BUT THEY ARE IN CONTEXT

Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums-HAD 200+ SIGNS BEFORE TALKING BUT WOULDN'T ASK FOR SIMPLE THINGS LIKE A DRINK UNTIL AFTER 2 SO YES BUT HE POINTED ON TIME AT 11 MONTHS OR SO
Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.) NO
Activity is noticeably under active or over active- YES HYPER ACTIVE FROM SENSORY

Excessive or frequent tantrums- YES
Can be aggressive or self injurious- RARELY
Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits- WITH OTHER KIDS. LOVES HUBBY AND I AND SEEKS US OUT. LOVES ADULTS. DOESN'T CARE TOO MUCH ABOUT OTHER KIDS BUT WILL TALK AND SAY HI. GETTING BETTER
Autistics can act deaf or be non responsive to verbal cues-ONLY SOMETIMES
Odd play such as; spinning objects, or using toys for something besides there their intended purpose or using an odd attraction to an item that is inappropriate for age- NO
Non existent or poor eye contact-NO HAS DECENT EYE CONTACT
Non responsive to typical teaching methods- SOMEWHAT.
May respond negatively to crowds or not able to mix well with others- NO JUST GETS WOUND UP FROM SENSORY OVERLOAD
Difficulty with holding a conversation-NO WAY LOL
May not like hugs, or to be cuddled.-NO BUT LIKES IT ON HIS TERMS. GIVES DAD AND I LOTS OF HUGS
Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells-YES
Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level)-YES BUT NOT FREQUENTLY. HAVE TO REALLY PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO SEE IT
Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods
they’ll eat to a very limited few items when previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.) SOMEWHAT
A high amount of severe food allergies-YES
History of chronic ear infections as an infant
Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools. USED TO
Lack of imaginative play or imitation.
cjsmommie98
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:06 PM
    • such as poor gross motor or fine motor skills and the ability to read at a very young age ...No
  • Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain....yes
  • Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness”....yes
  • Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia)....yes
  • Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums.....yes
  • Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.)...yes
  • Activity is noticeably under active or over active....yes
  • Excessive or frequent tantrums....yes
  • Can be aggressive or self injurious....yes
  • Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits  yes
  • Autistics can act deaf or be non responsive to verbal cues,......yes
  • Odd play such as; spinning objects, or using toys for something besides there their intended purpose or using an odd attraction to an item that is inappropriate for age....yes
  • Non existent or poor eye contact....yes
  • Non responsive to typical teaching methods....yes
  • May respond negatively to crowds or not able to mix well with others....yes
  • Difficulty with holding a conversation....yes
  • May not like hugs, or to be cuddled.....yes
  • Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells....yes
  • Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level)....yes
  • Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods they’ll eat to a very limited few items when previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.)...yes
  • A high amount of severe food allergies....no
  • History of chronic ear infections as an infant.....yes
  • Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools.....yes
  • Lack of imaginative play or imitation......yes
    Sassy992
    by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM

lesbians

Sassy992
    by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Hi Thank you so much for I found symptoms very helpful. I have a brother  who went to the Drs and he said that my Brother may havea type of Autism.. Thank You All Again.

GeoRocks
    by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Some autistic traits could include:

• such as poor gross motor or fine motor skills and the ability to read at a very young age- He is fine on his fine motor and slight delay on large
    • Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain- Has not fear of getting hurt, dosnt cry often when he is hurt.
    • Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness”-Very much so
    • Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia)- Only way he usually speaks is repeating things of shows, or repeating a word ALL day and that is the only form of verbal we get
    • Much difficulty expressing needs – they may use pointing, gestures versus words, or tantrums- He can not express needs. Dosnt point or anything. The only exception is his sippy. He will bring it and open your hand to ask for a drink. Everything else he cries until you figure it out
    • Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e., laughing at a baby crying.)- Yes he laughs athis sister crying/having tantrums or if someone gets hurt, he finds it funny or ignores it
    • Activity is noticeably under active or over active- Both he has days of extreme over activity to where he wanders all day and can sit and days he will just sit and stare at the wall or a particular toy etc
    • Excessive or frequent tantrums- yes
    • Can be aggressive or self injurious- Hits, kicks when throwing tantrums and purposly bangs his head
    • Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits- Yes
    • Autistics can act deaf or be non responsive to verbal cues-Yes
    • Odd play such as; spinning objects, or using toys for something besides there their intended purpose or using an odd attraction to an item that is inappropriate for age-Yes
    • Non existent or poor eye contact-Yes
    • Non responsive to typical teaching methods-Yes
    • May respond negatively to crowds or not able to mix well with others-OH yes!
    • Difficulty with holding a conversation- Is non verbal still besides babbling when he is by himself
    • May not like hugs, or to be cuddled.- yes and no. He has is cuddle moments still but on HIS terms and its rare
    • Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells_ Sounds, certain clothing and textures
    • Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level)-Yes
    • Highly self-limited diet (narrow down foods they’ll eat to a very limited few items when previously a broader range was accepted (e.g., bread, chicken nuggets, cheese, milk, and crackers – period.)-Very picky eater
    • A high amount of severe food allergies-He has an egg allergy but not severe, at least with his last reaction. He gets Hives
    • History of chronic ear infections as an infant-No
    • Severe gastro-intestinal issues; chronic loose and/or foul-smelling stools._OMG YES! The child can clear the house out with a pellet size poop!
    • Lack of imaginative play or imitation.- Yes

Koltie6
    by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:08 AM
    Allergies are an immune response. Most of these children have immune system issues. Many Drs just say it goes along with Autism but that's not true. If you heal the immune system and address the medical issues these symptoms will go away. My son had alternating diarrhea and constipation. We had testing and removed gluten and casein. We also removed preservatives and artificial everything. We added probiotics as well. In addition to all of this we has him tested for an antibody to folic acid. New research has revealed that 90 percent of Autistic children have this antibody. It prevents them from absorbing folic acid so folinic acid is given. It was life changing. No more diarrhea ! Seizures have decreased and speech is unbelievable.

Quoting SunshineBird:

Can someone explain the digestive issues? I have never heard of this being linked with ASD but I am just starting to get familiar with it. 

SunshineBird
    by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Thank you! My son has the exact same issue with diarrhea/constipation. I've known that he has gut issues since he was only a few months old (had tons of testing to try figuring out what it was). We are going to be adding probiotics (Culturelle) to his diet soon. Can you add folinic acid to their diet without having a test confirming the antibody? How did your son do with diet change? I have no idea how I will be able to change what DS eats....he is so, so, so picky and will starve rather than eat something he doesn't want to. Thanks for the info!

Quoting Koltie6:

Allergies are an immune response. Most of these children have immune system issues. Many Drs just say it goes along with Autism but that's not true. If you heal the immune system and address the medical issues these symptoms will go away. My son had alternating diarrhea and constipation. We had testing and removed gluten and casein. We also removed preservatives and artificial everything. We added probiotics as well. In addition to all of this we has him tested for an antibody to folic acid. New research has revealed that 90 percent of Autistic children have this antibody. It prevents them from absorbing folic acid so folinic acid is given. It was life changing. No more diarrhea ! Seizures have decreased and speech is unbelievable.

Quoting SunshineBird:

Can someone explain the digestive issues? I have never heard of this being linked with ASD but I am just starting to get familiar with it. 

Koltie6
    by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    You can get Merhyl Folate from Neurobiologix.com .com. It is not as many milligrams as what we take but it's a start. I would suggest reading the book Healing And Preventing Autism by Dr Jerry Kartzinel . He is a Pediatrician in Florida making great strides with these kids the book goes symptom by symptom explaining what causes them and what to do for each. There is a whole chapter on GI. The probiotics are key. It takes a while so don't give up. Sometimes a year or so. Anyone who has ever taken antibiotics needs probiotics. Just interested was your child a c section baby ? Mine was and these babies do not pick up the good bacteria when they are born from the birth canal. It's all very interesting. As far as diet goes it was hard at first but worth it. Many of these kids are picky eaters but not for the reason you might think. I read on here all the time people say my child only eats pizza chicken nuggets etc. all gluten. Well there is a reason for this. The protein in gluten is similar to moriphine so the brain craves it cuz it makes them feel good. Gluten isn't really good for you anyway but we are all addicted to it. It's in sooo many prepared foods. It's cheap and used for fillers even in lunch meat. The real answer is eating real food. Don't get me wrong my kids do eat chicken nuggets but applegate farms gluten free. There are many good GFCF foods . What you don't want to fall into us just replacing them like gluten free donuts for regular ones. I do it but try to limit because most iof our kids also have yeast problems and these all feed yeast. I know this is long but there is. A lot to learn. I am going on 3 years and still learning everyday. Please don't give up it can get better. Yes it's hard at first but it gets easier . Message me anytime I am no expert but will share what I do know. Good luck!

Quoting SunshineBird:

Thank you! My son has the exact same issue with diarrhea/constipation. I've known that he has gut issues since he was only a few months old (had tons of testing to try figuring out what it was). We are going to be adding probiotics (Culturelle) to his diet soon. Can you add folinic acid to their diet without having a test confirming the antibody? How did your son do with diet change? I have no idea how I will be able to change what DS eats....he is so, so, so picky and will starve rather than eat something he doesn't want to. Thanks for the info!

Quoting Koltie6:

Quoting SunshineBird:

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)