Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone believe Jenny McCarthy's claim that we can recover our children from autism? Has anyone tried? Has anyone succeeded?

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 6:58 AM
Replies (251-256):
Siobhan69
by Siobhan on May. 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Wow, very strong emotions on this post. I do not believe that you can cure autism but I do believe that with therapy and or diet you can improve the child's level of functioning. I think Jenny worked really hard (therapy and diet) with her son to improve his level of functioning. Simply put she has not cured him of anything other than doing what the rest of us are doing like seeking therapy and diet to improve their levels of functioning.

Mrsprentice
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:04 PM
I'm sorry but what is GF

Quoting UrbanSoccerMom:

Holly Robinson Peete? She also did the GF thing and talked about it. I just think she is more realistic about her approach. And, I know she and her husband, Rodney Peete actually have a non-profit. I LOVE the book she wrote with her daughter, "My Brother Charlie"

Quoting nicksmom217:

sorry, but i don't believe this BS, she used her son for publicity. holly Robertson, that is some body to listen to.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UrbanSoccerMom
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:08 PM

gluten free

Quoting Mrsprentice:

I'm sorry but what is GF

Quoting UrbanSoccerMom:

Holly Robinson Peete? She also did the GF thing and talked about it. I just think she is more realistic about her approach. And, I know she and her husband, Rodney Peete actually have a non-profit. I LOVE the book she wrote with her daughter, "My Brother Charlie"

Quoting nicksmom217:

sorry, but i don't believe this BS, she used her son for publicity. holly Robertson, that is some body to listen to.

I'm a socially liberal, morally conservative, college educated, free-thinking, bible thumping yet anti-religious, organic and eco friendly, "cool" mom of a child with autism. I don't rely on a system of rules and consequences, but structure. My son does not swim with dolphins, he has been vaccinated, and I don't buy into every fad that has no scientific basis. I love to debate and piss people off for no reason...I'm the little sister you never wanted, the best friend you wish you had, and believe that anarchy is in...

lilstephie82
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 7:55 PM

well this is what I'm going with my son...... I get  most of his snack gluten free & some of his juices...... I try to give 100% juice...... And I which back and forth w/ regular milk and soy........ I gve him his vitiams that are full of folic acid....... And give him probiotics once in awhile..........  On top of him going to preschool at our local elementary school  for special education and a person comes to the house to work with him for 20 hrs a week.......

Cubanmom84
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I do not believe that Autism is something that you can "cure", if is a problem in their brain how is a diet going to fix whatever cable is wired differently?? It could reduce the hand flapping, the stimming, the melt downs, but your child is always going to be autistic, no matter what.. I took my son off dairy for about 5 months, you know what it did... nothing, absolutely nothing, then he got bored of it, and I had to go back to regular milk, cause that is basically the only dairy that he drinks.

lilstephie82
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:39 AM

No and there is no cure fro Autism. I know this very well...... But for some reason, andI think that they are still researching it. This diet helps with to control there moods and helps them become more focus.  I've been doing this all summer and he didn't have one out burst at all..... For the pst month I've stopped to see what would happen. And he went back to his destructed moods and un-controllable trantrums. So I'm putting his back on the diet. To see if he  calms down. Plus it never really hurts any child for give them healthyer foods. But it's all by choose really....... Never said it was a cure. You can't chance the make-up of a person brain.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)