Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Diagnosis 101: Find Support, Share Advice, and Talk About What Comes Next

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 8:21 PM
  • 74 Replies
4 moms liked this

It might start with a motherly instinct or the concern of a doctor, teacher, or family member. No matter what the initial signs, finding a diagnosis is often the next step - but where to begin?

We'd like to help!

The awesome moms in this group have shared valuable information, ideas, experience and support.

Here are just a few places you can start:

Plus: Read about symptoms, research various treatments, and learn about the most common therapies available.

Then share your questions, advice, concerns and experience below!

by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Dec. 16, 2011 at 5:11 PM
2 moms liked this

any questions? We are here for you Support!  

confused

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM

excellent idea to do this

tiredmommyof140
by on Dec. 18, 2011 at 9:02 PM
3 moms liked this

I just typed out this looong message about my situation, now it's gone.....

The short story was that I need help communicating my ds son's needs to dh.  I believe ds has aspergers, going through the eval process, age 8.  Dh was finally open to this eval after about 5 years of me expressing my concerns.  He is beginning to understand that ds' sensory issues and quirkiness may be due to this.  However when it comes to ds' tantrums, meltdowns, need for control, and frequent arguing with us to be right, dh will only see this as a behavior.  He thinks if he is just harder on him, yells louder, etc etc, that he is doing the right thing. 

Please help with any ideas you have for me.  When I talk to him, he blows me off as if I just want ds to get away with everything, and baby him.  I want to discipline ds, and he definitely needs it!  I just want to do it in the right way for him.  If you know of any articles, books, or your own personal advice that I could ask dh to read, that would be fantastic.  I'm about to pull my hair out.  Thank you in advance!

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Dec. 19, 2011 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Well I would definaltey print him up some info on meltdowns and how that is part of Autism and yes there are times for discipline but when he's having a meltdown he can't really control it unless if you catch him before it starts with some sort of distraction.  

this article is old but seems good:  Autism parents' plea: Understand kids' meltdowns

This article is good but I disagree with some things but its good still : The Meltdown

Quoting tiredmommyof140:

The short story was that I need help communicating my ds son's needs to dh.  I believe ds has aspergers, going through the eval process, age 8.  Dh was finally open to this eval after about 5 years of me expressing my concerns.  He is beginning to understand that ds' sensory issues and quirkiness may be due to this.  However when it comes to ds' tantrums, meltdowns, need for control, and frequent arguing with us to be right, dh will only see this as a behavior.  He thinks if he is just harder on him, yells louder, etc etc, that he is doing the right thing. 

Please help with any ideas you have for me.  When I talk to him, he blows me off as if I just want ds to get away with everything, and baby him.  I want to discipline ds, and he definitely needs it!  I just want to do it in the right way for him.  If you know of any articles, books, or your own personal advice that I could ask dh to read, that would be fantastic.  I'm about to pull my hair out.  Thank you in advance!

Ebryk
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM

My son is 19 months old. I took him to the doctor because I was worried about him not talking like he should be. He only says a few words, such as car, ball, star, dog..etc. It worried me because I figured he had a speech delay and wanted to get him the help he needs. We got him assessed, and they said he did have a speech delay but also showed alot of red flags for autism. This baffled me, because I never would have thought that as a possibility. They strapped him to a highchair and presented him with different toys to see how he played, and just because he didnt wave bye to the toys when she took him away, and he didnt feed the stuffed animal, this woman could tell my son was autistic in just 15 minutes!? My son is affectionate, he loves to give hugs & kisses, he plays with a variety of toys, scribbles on his easel, plays with his puppy. He does everything I would think that a normal child does. He lines up his cars sometimes, but he doesnt just stand there and stare at them, he crashes them into eachother and rolls them off the ottoman, just like a little boy would. Another concern I had was that he does spin sometimes, and I noticed that was an sign of autism. He does it for a few seconds, laughs, and falls down, like it is a game or something? If anyone has any advice for me or if theres other signs I should be looking for, please let me know. We are going to enroll in speech therapy and early intervention for autism, and we are on a waiting list to see a pediatric neurologist, to get an official diagnosis....

coco856
by on Feb. 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I really need to talk to some one on How to deal with a child th has asperger..She is 21, came home fromfeom College announced as he was moving to New York with a man from Yemem,,,At this time she was off her medicine....Now in the last year has been picked up by immigration and sent back to Yemem for 10 years. so she came back home to us married and pregnant..He was picj up and deported back to yemen for ten years. We are talking care of their baby because she does has not bounded with her. Now she wants to sign baby off to us so she can go off to Ney York and finish school,  I am Okay with that we will raise her baby.  My question is how did  go to Have her tubes tided so she has no move babies;;;;;;

sachab
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Quote:

I can understand this quite well. I am still dealing with this with my husband over my 5 year old son. It has caused more then a few problems but is slowly getting better. Yesterday was a big break through for us when I had him go to the therapist with me and our son. I had him sit and talk with her, and he is starting to understand that the behavier is part of the asd, but disagrees with thw fact she wants us to try distraction theapy for his behavior. I see it as a start. try to get him to go to as many of the dr appt with you as he can and let them help answer his questions.
i

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Feb. 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM

wow where is Yemem? And I dont know about her tubes tied but I would bring up birth control to her. 

Quoting coco856:

I really need to talk to some one on How to deal with a child th has asperger..She is 21, came home fromfeom College announced as he was moving to New York with a man from Yemem,,,At this time she was off her medicine....Now in the last year has been picked up by immigration and sent back to Yemem for 10 years. so she came back home to us married and pregnant..He was picj up and deported back to yemen for ten years. We are talking care of their baby because she does has not bounded with her. Now she wants to sign baby off to us so she can go off to Ney York and finish school,  I am Okay with that we will raise her baby.  My question is how did  go to Have her tubes tided so she has no move babies;;;;;;

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Feb. 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM

((hugs)) I would get him started in early intervention they can help him with any delays. 

Quoting Ebryk:

My son is 19 months old. I took him to the doctor because I was worried about him not talking like he should be. He only says a few words, such as car, ball, star, dog..etc. It worried me because I figured he had a speech delay and wanted to get him the help he needs. We got him assessed, and they said he did have a speech delay but also showed alot of red flags for autism. This baffled me, because I never would have thought that as a possibility. They strapped him to a highchair and presented him with different toys to see how he played, and just because he didnt wave bye to the toys when she took him away, and he didnt feed the stuffed animal, this woman could tell my son was autistic in just 15 minutes!? My son is affectionate, he loves to give hugs & kisses, he plays with a variety of toys, scribbles on his easel, plays with his puppy. He does everything I would think that a normal child does. He lines up his cars sometimes, but he doesnt just stand there and stare at them, he crashes them into eachother and rolls them off the ottoman, just like a little boy would. Another concern I had was that he does spin sometimes, and I noticed that was an sign of autism. He does it for a few seconds, laughs, and falls down, like it is a game or something? If anyone has any advice for me or if theres other signs I should be looking for, please let me know. We are going to enroll in speech therapy and early intervention for autism, and we are on a waiting list to see a pediatric neurologist, to get an official diagnosis....

AydenandAlyk
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 3:20 AM

My son was just diagnosed at the age of 8 with having Asperger's Syndrome! He does the same things as melt downs and yelling and tryn to argue to b right! He lacks in reading but a wiz in math! He cant stand having his hair cut he will sobbingly cry the whole time! I never knew anything about Asperger's til i started asking and its a sensory thing! I wanted to pull my hair out when i cut his hair cuz i didnt understand how he had a fit everytime! The only thing that i can give advice on is to keep on a schedule with him! Put in on a poster board wit times and what needs to be done like 700 get up get dressed 715 eat breakfast 730 brush ur hair and teeth 745 get ur coat on 800 leave for school then do the same for things after school and make sure u stay on that and give stickers for stayin on the sched and give treats after a week of stayin on track!! It helps them and you as well!!! Hope it helps!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN