Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Your ASD Child & School: Resources, Support, Information, Questions and More!

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2011 at 9:40 AM
  • 88 Replies
7 moms liked this

Are you looking for information on school for your ASD child?  We've got tons!

Whether you're deciding between homeschool or public school, struggling with specific school issues, trying to find information about school services for your child, or looking for advice on when to start school, your fellow moms have been there!

Get started by joining one of these conversations:

Considering homeschooling? Read some pros and cons.

> Wondering what kind of school is right for your child? See what works for other moms.

> Need information on early intervention?  Start here!

> Looking for local resources? Click here to find help.

You can ask specific questions or share advice in the replies below, and you'll find many more discussions on a large variety of school issues and topics in the group

by on Dec. 16, 2011 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Dec. 16, 2011 at 5:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm here to help answer questions. My son has been in Special needs Public school pre-k class this is his 3rd and final year, next year Kindergarten! 

nicksmom217
by on Dec. 16, 2011 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

have IEP, have resource classes for your child, if he need it. if he has anxiety, ask for aid to be in school with your child, by the end of the year, if goals in IEP, wasn't meat, ask for a meeting. maybe he needs to be in mainstream class, maybe, special learning class. on a IEP  meetings, don't let professionals, make you feel stupid.  look for changes in your child behavior, maybe he needs phyciatrist, social skills group. post any time.

momgriffith1
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Does anyone know any tools that may help us our sonhas been diagnopsed aspergers He's 4 real smart and sweet .....We cant find many resources or educational tools for him   

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jan. 26, 2012 at 9:07 AM
3 moms liked this

Hi There are some resources in this Resource post and I'm not sure what tools you need but there are alot of games and Pictures on these pages too...

www.do2learn.com

www.difflearn.com

www.buildingblox.net

Quoting momgriffith1:

Does anyone know any tools that may help us our sonhas been diagnopsed aspergers He's 4 real smart and sweet .....We cant find many resources or educational tools for him   

Penguin_ar
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Do you mind me asking if you intend to mainstream?  My son is in a small church based playschool but his ASD/ SPD is getting more pronounced and the treacher is having difficulty with him.  We are considering the local SN pre-school, but are afraid to "type cast" him so early (he turns 4 this month, so another year before kindergarten, or two if we keep him back), and not sure how much a SN pre-school would prepare him for mainstreaming or would the system then automatically try to push him into a SN school/ classroom.

Fairytale36
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Hi

Try:

www.myaspergerschild.com 

www.aspergersnet.org

www.autism-resources.com

www.havedreams.org 

Good Luck,

K

cindydharrell
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 2:42 PM

My son, Logan is 4 1/2 years old.   We were denied services when he was 2. They said he had great eye contact, so he did not have autism.  I feel it's definitely Asperger's.  All the classic text book symptoms, from  what I have read.  We are in the process of referral to Far Northern Regional in Chico, CA.  We had the public school system here do some evals and he does not qualifiy for an IEP because he tested too high.  Of course his motor skills and social skills were all 0, but the rest were very high.  The public school is rushing us for a diagnosis; which is NOT going to happen.  The Far Northern Regional Center wants me to insist that the public school system start OT immediately.  We are in a catch 22...  I am 100% willing to do ALL I can to help my son!!!  ANY SUGGESTIONS????

Selenne
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Heey girls

I have a problem I'm a single mom of my beautiful autistic child, but I get layoff of my work this last september, and I having a real hard time to find a new job, specially for the  schedule, (I mention that all my family is in mexico and we/re here in San Antonio Texas alone?)

Is there somewhere some resources for parents (or single parents) with kids with autism, to find jobs or something, .. please I'm desperate. Thanks

mommuffins
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Hi there! , I'm mommuffins and new to the cafe mom. I would like to know if anyone in the Dallas area knows of a private schoolfor our son, he will be starting high school this coming fall. We move to the area three years ago tring to find a school but the school he is in really isn't helping him. we are will to move again if we have too. Need help of any kind.

Thanks,mommuffins

ROGUEM
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 1:01 AM

These are great links.  Thanks for posting

Quoting Fairytale36:

Hi

Try:

www.myaspergerschild.com 

www.aspergersnet.org

www.autism-resources.com

www.havedreams.org 

Good Luck,

K

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN