Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training 101: Information, Advice, and Support from Moms Like You!

Posted by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 1:48 PM
  • 128 Replies
11 moms liked this

Potty training.  Every mom has to deal with it.  But when your child is ASD, you face unique challenges, and need support from people who really understand.

Moms in this group are here to help!

You can start right here by reading these 8 favorite tips shared by moms just like you, then scroll down for even more information and advice!

• Don’t stress or force it.  Your child will pick up on your stress and resist using the toilet.

• Use routine to your advantage.  For a child who thrives on schedules, add regularly timed potty visits to their daily routine.   For example, sit them on the toilet every 30 minutes or hour (or gradually add in more trips to the bathroom over a few days).

• Pay attention to sensory details and adjust as necessary.   Sometimes changing the lighting, toilet paper, or the location of a potty can help.

• Get a bathroom buddy.  Having another sibling potty train at the same time helps many learn to use the toilet.  And don't forget to let your child know each time you’re going to use the bathroom.

• Celebrate.  Don’t forget to focus on each victory.  Whether it’s staying dry for a few hours or letting you know when they need to go to the bathroom.  It’s not just about going on the toilet, but also the positive reinforcement along the way.

• Use rewards.  This doesn’t work for everyone, but some kids are motivated by sticker charts, toys, or high fives.  Find out what motivates your child and keep a hearty supply handy.

• Be patient.

• Don’t give up!

For more help:

Check out the many potty training posts, loaded with information and advice, already in this group!

Start your own post to tell your story and find support.

Share YOUR best potty training tips in the replies below!  

by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mallowcup17
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 4:12 PM
2 moms liked this

this is a great post! and definitely a different challenge for each individual child!

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Dec. 22, 2011 at 4:31 PM

good tips! I really want next year to be the year my son potty trains more

MamiJackie174
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 12:42 PM

My son is autistic and Im currently trying to potty train him. I was wondering if anyone had any effective ways in doing so. I have talked to someone who has opened my eyes to maybe getting and alarm that hooks up to his underwear so everytime it gets wet it will go off but I am unsure whether it will do the same when he has a bowl movement? If anyone can help me out I would kindly appreciate it =D Thanks!

mommy510512
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 2:20 AM
6 moms liked this

I have an autistic 4 yr old son and im trying to get him to fully use the potty. He uses it for number 1 but to do number 2 he goes on himself. I dont know what to do :(

NightMist
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM
4 moms liked this

Dear lord!

We have been working on potty training for a decade.

He has learned the whole potty routine.  He just does not know what it is for.

Every day at precisely the same times he goes and sits on the potty for 10 minutes give or take, wipes, flushes, gets his clothes back in order, washes his hands, and goes back to whatever he was doing.  It has become part of the day's ritual, but he does not poo or pee while he is there.  The school has him in there as well with about as much success.

We have been trying to pin down his elimination schedule for ages, but it does not seem to be consistant.

I think we are getting closer to a verbal understanding of those bodily functions, and that will probably be the breakthrough on the process.

marisab
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Johny stays dry @ nite and he regulary poos in the pot as long hes not sick or diarrhea an dknows to wash hands etc but he doesnt get pee=ing in the pot yet 

kendra2370
by on Jan. 25, 2012 at 5:55 PM
3 moms liked this

my son is 8 years old and has ADHD/Autism....he knows when he needs to go # 1 and does so in the toilet.... he also knows when he has to do #2 but has a fear of the toilet when it comes to siting down on it. ..... He wears overnight pants at bed time due to him  being a heavey sleeper..even though he doesnt wet much. When he needs to go #2 he will put on  overnight pants and go in it. I wish there was a way I could get him to use the toilet instead of the overnight pants.  the Dr. said not to force him due to his issue. He will do it on hes own time when it comes.  Anyone have advice what I should do or try?

Csweetness
by on Jan. 28, 2012 at 7:11 PM
10 moms liked this

My son is 4 years old, and I am currently trying to potty train him. This is extremely difficult for me because whenever I take him to the potty he will go #1 but he will go #2 in his pull-ups. I find it to be difficult because he has speech problems, but with the help of his speech therapist we have worked out ways to let us know he needs to go potty. I just get so frustrated sometimes, but it is helpful to know I am not alone in having problems potty training.

Screaminge
by Member on Jan. 31, 2012 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh sisters I feel your pain ! I have 2 that we've been training for years. They will be 7 and 5 in July the we one goes pee in pot but poo in pull up and the older sister was trained for all of 4 wks ! ! And now is in pull ups fulltime : ( plus hates to be changed !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jdgrandma
by on Feb. 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

we are trying to get my grandson trained, but we have not found a method that works.  I guess patience is a virtue...so we wait an keep trying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)