Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Potty Training 101: Information, Advice, and Support from Moms Like You!

Posted by   + Show Post

Potty training.  Every mom has to deal with it.  But when your child is ASD, you face unique challenges, and need support from people who really understand.

Moms in this group are here to help!

You can start right here by reading these 8 favorite tips shared by moms just like you, then scroll down for even more information and advice!

• Don’t stress or force it.  Your child will pick up on your stress and resist using the toilet.

• Use routine to your advantage.  For a child who thrives on schedules, add regularly timed potty visits to their daily routine.   For example, sit them on the toilet every 30 minutes or hour (or gradually add in more trips to the bathroom over a few days).

• Pay attention to sensory details and adjust as necessary.   Sometimes changing the lighting, toilet paper, or the location of a potty can help.

• Get a bathroom buddy.  Having another sibling potty train at the same time helps many learn to use the toilet.  And don't forget to let your child know each time you’re going to use the bathroom.

• Celebrate.  Don’t forget to focus on each victory.  Whether it’s staying dry for a few hours or letting you know when they need to go to the bathroom.  It’s not just about going on the toilet, but also the positive reinforcement along the way.

• Use rewards.  This doesn’t work for everyone, but some kids are motivated by sticker charts, toys, or high fives.  Find out what motivates your child and keep a hearty supply handy.

• Be patient.

• Don’t give up!

For more help:

Check out the many potty training posts, loaded with information and advice, already in this group!

Start your own post to tell your story and find support.

Share YOUR best potty training tips in the replies below!  

by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 1:48 PM
Replies (121-130):
heaven71410
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:05 PM
My son is three yrs old is not yet potty trained and he will go pee in the toilet sometimes and will use the pull-up lot of the rest of the time and he will squat symbolizing he needs to go to the toliet but we we go to the bathroom he has already gone in the pull-up anybody have any advice for that problem
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jan. 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a little late, have you found a solutions?  You might consider putting him in regular undies instead of pull-ups so that he can feel when he's wet/dirty.

Quoting heaven71410: My son is three yrs old is not yet potty trained and he will go pee in the toilet sometimes and will use the pull-up lot of the rest of the time and he will squat symbolizing he needs to go to the toliet but we we go to the bathroom he has already gone in the pull-up anybody have any advice for that problem

Sha0
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I am encouraged by reading the other comments about potty training. My 6 year old goes #1 in toilet, most of the time, but #2 in his pants always. He will go to a quiet corner when he wants to go #2, and he will walk right past the bathroom. He verbalizes what he did wrong, afterwards, and even tells me what he should have done. We have spent long days sitting him on the toilet at intervals, feeding him lots of fruit, hoping he will go "accidentally" in the toilet! Nothing. I am tired from spending whole days doing this routine. Is exhausting and discouraging. Now I just accept the fact he will go in pants about 2 or 3 times a day, and then keep supplies handy. No reward system works so far, and even losing toys temporarily, or tv privileges, does not change his going in his pants. Stinky pants dont seem to bother him and he will sit in it for a long time, if I let him. I thought maybe he would not like the smell, or feeling. But he doesnt seem to care. I feel like we have tried everything. 

Sha0
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Quoting heaven71410: My son is three yrs old is not yet potty trained and he will go pee in the toilet sometimes and will use the pull-up lot of the rest of the time and he will squat symbolizing he needs to go to the toliet but we we go to the bathroom he has already gone in the pull-up anybody have any advice for that problem

I also had success putting regular underwear on my 6 year old, even though he is not potty trained for #2. It seems that when I got him out of a pull up, he began going #1 in toilet all the time. That was progress for us, so we put up with the issue of him going #2 in his underwear everyday. We bought underwear in bulk, and often threw them away like a used pullup. We fiigured the cost was about the same as using pullups. But, it was way more messy without underwear. It did however, make us more apt to watch his body language and keep an eye on when he might need to use the toilet. It worked for over a year for us. However, he regressed over Christmas break, due to a change in his routine, and now we are back to pull ups all the time. I will try to move forward again, soon.

jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 11:02 AM

i have a 4 year old son with asd and we have him day pee trained. but cant seem to get him to poop inthe toilet for us. he has aked to poop and went one time. but wont do it on a regular basis. 

and we are out of ideas without having to use medical intervention.

Nicole157
by Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:40 PM
So my son uses the potty fine but only if he is already naked. I can't get him to wear underwear of any kind or he freaks out. On top of which I don't know how to get daycare on helping to train him.
ftania32
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:27 AM

awesome tips.. thank u

ilovethebeach88
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM

HI,

I'm knew to this website.  My son is potty trained during the day but still has issues at night.  He just turned 6 in Feb and is still wearing a diaper to bed. 

We tried a few times going without the diaper and it was a disaster.  alot of people suggest waking him up before we go to bed and make him go ;however, my husband and I fear that once we wake him he will not go back to sleep.  that could be a real nightmare for him in school and everything.

Any suggestions??  We really haven't been pushing it on him. 

thanks

Val

Kalic0
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 12:14 PM
I just wanted to say, reading everyone's stories make me feel a bit better about the potty training struggles we have gone/are going through. My son is 7 and still not completely potty trained. However he will sit on the potty and pee, and he will poop in the potty some of the time. He has speech delay and still has lots of difficulty communicating his wants and needs. A potty training schedule was instrumental in getting him to make the connection between elimination and the potty. You have to understand though, he was on a pottying schedule for almost 1.5 years before he started making the connection and it was 3 months more before he was actually able to communicate his need at all. It took another few months of practice and direction (bringing communication device to the potty and having him choose the appropriate option)before he was able to commicate his need consistently. I could not have done this alone. I had the help of his teacher, attendent, or therapists when they were supervising him.
Also, to get him to sit on the potty, we had to provide a stable potty seat, a stool to rest his feet on and a distraction while seated.
Another tip I read but did not apply to our siuation : a potty chair outside of the bathroom. Like the earlier comment where the child passes the bathroom and "goes to a quiet cornor". If you can limit his options to one location, you might get him to sit on the potty chair. Even if he won't pull doen his pants at first, it is still progress. The "quiet cornor" may be chosen to avoid sensory interference.
grannydee456
by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:15 PM

my grandson has started to take the feces out of his diaper and spreads it all over the walls  they make him sit in a chair  he spends alot of time i n his bedroom  please help me  I AM TRYING TO POTTY TRAIN HIM BUT THE MOTHER AND HER BOYFRIEND DO NOT SEEM TO FOLLOW THRU   PLEASE i beg of you to help him   he has never done it at my house

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)