Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Potty Training 101: Information, Advice, and Support from Moms Like You!

Posted by   + Show Post

Potty training.  Every mom has to deal with it.  But when your child is ASD, you face unique challenges, and need support from people who really understand.

Moms in this group are here to help!

You can start right here by reading these 8 favorite tips shared by moms just like you, then scroll down for even more information and advice!

• Don’t stress or force it.  Your child will pick up on your stress and resist using the toilet.

• Use routine to your advantage.  For a child who thrives on schedules, add regularly timed potty visits to their daily routine.   For example, sit them on the toilet every 30 minutes or hour (or gradually add in more trips to the bathroom over a few days).

• Pay attention to sensory details and adjust as necessary.   Sometimes changing the lighting, toilet paper, or the location of a potty can help.

• Get a bathroom buddy.  Having another sibling potty train at the same time helps many learn to use the toilet.  And don't forget to let your child know each time you’re going to use the bathroom.

• Celebrate.  Don’t forget to focus on each victory.  Whether it’s staying dry for a few hours or letting you know when they need to go to the bathroom.  It’s not just about going on the toilet, but also the positive reinforcement along the way.

• Use rewards.  This doesn’t work for everyone, but some kids are motivated by sticker charts, toys, or high fives.  Find out what motivates your child and keep a hearty supply handy.

• Be patient.

• Don’t give up!

For more help:

Check out the many potty training posts, loaded with information and advice, already in this group!

Start your own post to tell your story and find support.

Share YOUR best potty training tips in the replies below!  

by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 1:48 PM
Replies (51-60):
lovecj
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Hi my name is Linda and my Grandson has Autisum he has a little sister who is two and half they are the

love of my life  and I want to help thier mommy and daddy potty train theme

badgermom2012
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Shouldn't this post be made sticky? 

Blue231
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow! I honestly thought maybe what we were going through was rare. I don't want my son to see that I am writing this, because he would be mad, but he is eleven and we have had so much trouble for all these years. We have found a lot of things that work, but his issues are still a big problem. I'm so relieved to have someone to share this with. I have felt so alone!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stephanie621
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM

My son is 6 and pees in the potty but will not go number 2 in the potty. Reading all of these is so encouraging. I was not sure if it was something I was doing wrong with Luke. But now i see that there are so many parents going through the same thing. The one thing that I have found to help me and my son the most is prayer! And lots of it! I now find myself praying specifically for God to help Luke poop in the toilet...Question? Do you recommend putting pull ups on your children if they have already conquered peeing in the toilet but not pooping. He has been in underwear since 3 but we go through a lot of them!

mycoditodd
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 10:35 PM

My son is 4 yr. old, soon to be 5 in October- he is finally fully potty trained- he had to be wheened off of his pullups. At first, he went through a lot of anxiety by not having his pullups on, so I would put it on when the anxiety led to tantrums. it took lots of habitual routine in order for him to get the hang of it, then finally I got rid of the pullups all together. I think he would actually be mad now if I tried to put one on him.

TwinswithAUTISM
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:35 PM

*Newbie* Hey ladies... this is my first time on cafe mom and im just looking for some advice and encouragement. I have twin 3 year girls who have BOTH been diagnosed with autism last year.... I cry almost everyday... Im trying to potty train but its a little hard. Im getting extremely desperate at this point because one of my daughters now plays withs her poo (yuck) do any of you have any tips on getting her to understand that she shouldn't play with her poop???

TwinswithAUTISM
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM

BUMP!

leelandmom
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 9:43 AM

My son was potty trained during the day but not at night, so I use pullups during the night.  He has started kindergarden and now every day he has had a accident in his pants at least once to three times a day now. I do not know what to do. Any advice would be welcomed.

nanardo
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM

We have just started about a week ago, trying to potty train my 3yr. old grandson.  I use a potty chair that has the little lift out pot.  He is fascinated with it!  He is usually dry in the morning, and we sit on the potty chair and he pees-YAY!! Then he loves to take the lift out pot and dump it himself (with my help), then we take it to the bathroom sink and wash it out and he washes his hands.  Now comes the hard part--he likes this little ritual so much, he will sit back on it and pee MAYBE a drop, so we have to repeat the whole process again.  This goes on 6 or 7 times.  Then the hard part is getting him to put on pants- hates pullups, doesn't want a diaper.  We do finally settle on training pants, but then he is constantly taking them off and starting this whole thing over & over.  Anyone else had this experience, and if so, how do I curb his enthusiasm without risking a major setback?

Po3
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 12:01 AM

My youngest is 8 and has autism. He just got over his fear of going on the toilet but still is having trouble doing so. He does well with lots of reminders at times. He still wears pull ups due to sensory issues. You have to let them do in their time. Accepting them where they are and still trying to help them reach their fullest potential can be tricky.  I just try to be thankful & grateful for each day i have with him & his brother no matter what happens. I'm sure you all doto. Thanks for this forum to support each other and be reassured we are not alone:) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN