Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

ASD Moms: Click Here for Help with Diagnosis, Treatment, Potty Training, Meltdowns and More!

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Autism: Support Across the Spectrum!

You're in just the right place for support, information, tips, and advice from moms just like you!

Visit the links below to find help with some of the most common issues facing moms with children on the spectrum:

Plus, see what ASD moms are talking about today in Spectrum Support.

You can jump right in by replying to one of the discussions above or start a post of your own.

jigsaw ribbon  We're so glad you've joined us!

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM
Replies (21-30):
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jun. 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM

You might want to check on this site I'm not from your area.  Welcome to the group! Have you got your son enrolled in public school preschool they have therapies?  http://www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/resource-guide

Quoting JenZ718:

Does anyone know about any play groups in the West San Jose/Cupertino area for younger kids with ASD? My son is turning four in April, and he is diagnosed with ASD. I also have a typical-developer daughter who is eight-years-old.

aidensmomma508

No I don't think that's the easy way out it would be helping him.  Have you tried chewy tubes for the biting or gum?  ((hugs)) He may also need behavior therapy?

Quoting SammyBug04:

My son is 8 years old and was diagnosed on the spectrum about 4 years ago. He's been pretty even tempered with the occasional meltdown thrwon in. At the beginning of December he started biting his arms and trying to bite other people. Then last week he tried to choke himself in the bath tub. The neurologist said if his behavior worsened then she would prescribe him medication. I don't want to medicate him!! I don't know what to do with him. If I try the meds am I just giving myself an easy way out of dealing with it?

jmindy
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Hello Out there

I am new just today. Its good to know were not alone. I have a step son with aspergers

and it can be very challengeing.  Hes 18 and sometimes I want to cry, God help!!!!!!

We have come through  alot of hard times.  We have fun with the family and all .

But , finding him a job IS STRESSFUL. Just praying about him working with a friend at this time.

Too long of a story

I would like to be a support ,we can do this together

Jmindy

aidensmomma508

welcome to the group!  I'm glad you joined! can his school help with finding a job?  good luck!

Quoting jmindy:

Hello Out there

I am new just today. Its good to know were not alone. I have a step son with aspergers

and it can be very challengeing.  Hes 18 and sometimes I want to cry, God help!!!!!!

We have come through  alot of hard times.  We have fun with the family and all .

But , finding him a job IS STRESSFUL. Just praying about him working with a friend at this time.

Too long of a story

I would like to be a support ,we can do this together

Jmindy

marisab
by Gold Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM

awesome!!i am glad to hear they are working with you and your son

Quoting horselover66:

at the beachTHE SCHOOL IS NOW ALLOWING HIM TO DO THAT NOW.. AND IT SEEMS TO BE HELPING.. FRIDAY THEY TRIED TO MAKE HIM EAT LUNCH IT THE CAFETERIA AND HE GOT REALLY UP SET.   BUT THEY HAVE STARTED ALLOWING HIM BREAKS...NOW IT SEEMS HE IS MISSING SOME OF THE CLASS ROOM WORK

mac1328

if its rainy try using music you can use the rain as a tool like drums for instance tell him to go with the rhythm you can show him how ask his what kind of instrument should you play or try  playing like your wild animals in the rain Forest

ksmith158

Hi out there!  I've signed up to get support from other parents of ASD kids.  My son is 19 and high functioning autistic.  I find that alot of the people closest to me and our family don't understand our struggles.  People I work with don't understand the time and emotions involved in caring for an adult child with Autism and it frustrates me.  Family who don't live with him and see him everyday think "he's ok and doesn't need that much assistance".  I'm exhausted from caring for him for 19 yrs but also just as exhausted dealing with people who have no idea the toll it takes on the parents. 

momlovey777
I not sure where to go with this question. My 14 yr old son has been recently diagnosed with aspergers. He lives with his dad who wants to put him in a group home to learn how to live with what he has because all his life he was misdiagnosed with adhd. aren't there other forms of education that could help my son learn how to cope with what he has besides a group home. i dont think he should be taken out of the home to do it.
Jackson2224

Hello mom's, my friend has a daughter that is 24,autistic and blind. The daughter just got her period and my friend is beside herself. She is actually the stepmother that has helped raise her. She still has to have her mother bathe her and do certain things for her. She just went and got her the diposable panties but the daughter goes to ARC and she can't send her like this. The daughter gets very upset when she has to miss ARC. The mother is talking about a HYSTERECTOMY. What do ya think?

Jmrgirlsmom

I signed up to just talk to other moms that can understand, I have 3 girls and they are all on the spectrum. Most days I can handle it but there are just some days when they all have troblem and they meltdown at the same time. I am even on speed dial at their schools. How do you deal with it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN