Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Discipline 101: Find Help and Share What Works for Your Family!

Posted by   + Show Post

Are you looking for help disciplining your ASD child?  You've come to the right place!  Our moms have "been there, done that" and have shared some great advice.  

Here are just a few helpful tips shared by moms just like you:

1. Base your discipline style on their level of understanding 

~ Higher functioning children can understand rewards and punishments while low functioning children may respond better to redirection rather than consequences.

2. Make sure they know why they're being disciplined

~ Put an "If/Then" chart on the fridge so they know what's expected and what will happen if they don't obey.

~ Get down on their level and make sure you have their attention before you speak.

~ Discuss with your child what they did wrong then make them repeat it back to you.

~ For lower functioning children, repeat short sentences they might understand.  Example: If he turns the TV up too loud -  say "Too loud, too loud, too loud" while turning down the TV. 

3. Use rewards along with consequences

~ Take away a privilege for bad behavior (TV, video games, computer) but be sure to reward GOOD behavior as well.  

4. Redirect

~ Replace "bad" behavior (throwing a ball in the house) with "good" behavior (take your child outside to throw instead).

~ Engage them in a calming activity.

~ Remove them from the situation and offer an alternate, positive activity.

5. Be consistent and firm

~ Don't threaten a consequence without following through.

~ Be sure you discipline for the same behavior (good and bad) with consistency.

~ Don't back down from a consequence.

~ ASD children can be very literal.  Make sure you are telling them to stop a behavior rather than asking.

6. Allow room for change

~ Be prepared to adjust your discipline style as your child ages and develops.

For more details on how moms implement these ideas visit one of these helpful discussions or share questions and ideas in the replies below!

by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Replies (61-67):
Dee319
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

What do you do with a 14 year old who is showing anger and being mean to his brothers and always talking about beating people up. He even put his fist up like he was going to hit me. He is a good sized kid and could really hurt someone.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Aug. 17, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Is he in any sort of therapy?

Quoting Dee319:

What do you do with a 14 year old who is showing anger and being mean to his brothers and always talking about beating people up. He even put his fist up like he was going to hit me. He is a good sized kid and could really hurt someone.

alyssarc
by New Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 4:23 AM
1 mom liked this
My 13 year old won't stop getting up in the middle of the night and eating everything he can find. I have to lock everything up, the rest of my family are basicly living in jail. I'm at my wits end and have no idea what to do.
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jan. 12, 2014 at 3:26 PM

My 2 younger kids have gone through this as well.  One thing I've found helpful is giving them the ok to eat a certain snack if they get hungry in the night.  Typically I'll leave out some raisins or some other fruit that is easy for them to get and that has helped with the sneaking issues.

Quoting alyssarc: My 13 year old won't stop getting up in the middle of the night and eating everything he can find. I have to lock everything up, the rest of my family are basicly living in jail. I'm at my wits end and have no idea what to do.

tiggermomma10
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:46 PM
Hi there, I have a 3 1/2 year old that I'm dealing with a lot of the same. Still trying to figure everything out also. You're not alone! Only advice so far is try a timeout or time to allow the tantrum out. Wish I had more, but we've been struggling as well. Hugs and good luck.

Quoting D.mommyof3:

i am having a very difficult time controlling my 2 1/2 year old Autistic son.... it is EXTREAMLY difficult to get him to concertrate on a task or to listen, play properly, not kick, hit, pich, bite, or punch!!  I really need some advice on what i can do to get him to listen!!  He really doesn't comprehend much of what is being said/asked of him!  I am desperate!!  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

friedsushi
by New Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 8:10 AM
Thanks so much this was very helpful!
retriever
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I am a grandmother of a almost 10 year old HF autistic boy.  He is very bright and loves computers.  For years my exposure to him and his brother was withheld from me and the rest of the family.  When the children did see us, they didn't know our association.  After their parent's recent divorce, I am in the position of interacting extensively with the children.  I am new to this situation and have tried to be patient and understanding and seek out ways to help and deal with my grandson.  I suspect there is a lack of consistency.  What is my first step in handling this matter?  I have spoken to a mother of an autistic child and she gave me a few hints on vitamins and foods.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)