Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Lost and unsure, PLEASE HELP!!!

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:14 PM
  • 20 Replies

Ok, where to start? Mikey my son is 7yrs old. It all started when he was a baby. He would sleep all the time I would have to wake him to get him to eat. He is also a very very picky eater. More so then most kids I see. btw I also have a 10yr old son brad with adhd, and a step daughter with adhd. But back to Mikey. I always felt something was just not right, but did not know what. he never really cared to play with other kids. All he ever needed was hotwheels cars and that stnd true today. In pre-k they sent me to get his hearing checked but it was all fine. They said he is smart but wont do his work. In kindergarden the teacher trid timeouts taking play time away making him sit by himself at lunch. Finally when that stuff did not work I made them stop. btw he is also a thumb sucker and still wets the bed at night. The Dr said he had sleep apne (spelling wrong sorry) so they did surgery The said it woud fix him sleeping all the time and not wanting to do any thing. but that did not help they put him on adhd med but still dont work. he is now in kindergarden for the 2nd year and still dont know what is going on. He is on a IEP at school but they dont seem to do much. I cant even get him to take a bath by him self b/c he hates water. ask if need more info please what do u think??

by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicksmom217
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

i am sorry to hear this. i think you need a good dr, physiatrist, to give you right dx. my son was dx at 9 with HFA. he only played with racing cars, did purley in school. but, your son seams to have some issues, i am not sure about, that is why, get  a good professional help, even in school, they can do testing, evaluation, because he has IEP. good luck to you.

ColleenMarie81
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:23 PM

welcome to the group where are you at do you have an advocate for the school also sounds like you need a psychologist and psychiatrists good luck

mommycoon
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Thank u both to ur replys. How do you get an advocate?? I feel like the Dr. just want to give him med and is blowing off the REAL issues.

mommycoon
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM

What is HFA?

Momma2JandK
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Have you thought about a neurologist to see if there is any brain functions that are causing the sleep disturbances and such?  That might be a route to look at as well. 

Haha_ma
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mommycoon:

What is HFA?

high functioning autism.

mommycoon
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I have been trying to get a referal but having no luck so far. the Dr said maybe in 3 week if meds dont work

mommycoon
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

thank u for telling me what HFA is

nicksmom217
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

HFA, is when a child speech is normal, more, less, can do things themselves, but everything else is the same, like  sensory issues, obsessive behavior, social problems, repetitive behavior, , picky about food, cloth that they wear, some of them. advocate,  there are free once to. you can call your district , there is department, where, you can find advocate.

mommycoon
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:52 PM
How do u get an advocate? I thought I was his advocate? I just can't seem to get any where but they all agree something need to be done
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN