Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At least its not...

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:38 AM
  • 4 Replies
something worse. An ASD dx is devestating yes, but as one dad said in the book Autism's Hidden Blessings (this may not be exact wording) "Thank God its not cancer." His 3 yr old had just been dxd with autism, while a friend of theirs 3 yr old was dxd with cancer which lead him to say that. Or kids could be worse off. They could be dying instead of living in their own world. We should be thankful for every moment we have and remember "Thank God its not cancer." Or a failing liver, or kidneys, or lung disease. They dont need a transplant or be put on life support. Just a reminder to be thankful for the small things. Even a life changing dx cuz it could be a life ending one instead.
Sometimes when I think how hard all the therapy is I think how lucky I am im not watching my kid slowly die a painful death. id rather do twice as much therapy as to go to one round of chemo w him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
steph2884
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I understand where people are coming from when they say that. I see children at hippotherapy each week that have feeding tubes and have cerebral pausy and I know, my son is at least healthy and I am thankful for that. But, in all honesty it really irritates me when someone says "At least it's not cancer!" I've heard that from a few people before, and it just gets on my nerves. As if it down plays the stress and worry and pain that comes along with autism. I do get it though, I see kids and know a family with kid who is slowly dying and it really makes me thankful for a healthy son.

cythina208
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:49 AM
That is true because there is always someone worse off then u
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twins0506
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:38 AM
I agree 100%. My boys are still walking breathing and funtioning on their own and for that I will always be greatful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kittie26
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Thank you for sharing that! It does help to remember that our children are healthy and they are amazing in their uniqueness. I wouldnt take Aly any other way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)