Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Science project of the day: How much surface area can you cover with three cups of birdseed in three minutes?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM
  • 4 Replies

We are snowed in today and as I cleaned the house and the kitchen I noticed the larger birds were having a hard time getting to my small bird feeder in the front yard.  I decided (silly me) that it would be a nice gesture to give the larger birds their own bowl of seed on the front porch - thinking we could watch them from the living room window. 

While I was back in the kitchen, scrubbing pots before they hit the dishwasher, I heard a strange yet familiar tinkling sound coming from the living room.  When I went to investigate I found an open window and DS playing with a pile of birdseed on my sofa - empty bowl on the floor next to him.  Upon closer inspection I see that the floor and the rest of the furniture is evenly scattered with the seed.  I estimate the seed covers about 600 square feed of my 2,500 square foot home.  As I sweep, DS comes along behind me to gather up the piles of seed and re-distribute them around the rest of the house. 

So now I'm wondering what is the best plan of attack - send DS to his room for a timeout while I sweep?  Vacuum?  Or should I just throw open the windows and doors and let the birds have at it?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
RochelleFS
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:24 PM
I would just sweep it up and toss it outside on the snow. The birds will get it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kittie26
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I'd have him help you clean it and distribute it to the birds, and explain to him that the seed is for the birds, not for playing. Just keep repeating it and have him repeat it back to you so you know he understands.

judithalaina
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL.  This is a typical day in my home with my daughter.  The answer for her would be the whole house.  She can scatter things like no other.  I make her leave the area and let her watch me throw away what she scattered.  I do not know how much it helps but she seems to get the point at that moment, until the next time she can get her hands on something to scatter all  over.  Glad is not the right word but it is nice to know someone else deals with this type of thing too.  If I let her she would go behind me and re scatter everything.  She has done that plenty.

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM

LOL sweep it outside LOL OH BOY!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)