Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HI

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM
  • 6 Replies

My husband and I are in our mid-late 50's and have been raising our 22 month old granddaughter since she was 2 months old.  She is the 3rd of 4 children my stepdaughter has birthed. I have to say it that way because she isn't a mom to any of them. The older two are each living with their dads, we have Angel and then there is a 9 month old boy.  They all live in separate homes and we keep in contact via the internet and phone.

Angel, the 22 month old and 2 of the other are drug affected babies.  Mom is currently in jail and until she went to jail she was using meth and cocaine.  Angel was affected by both.  She has developmental delays in every area except her gross motor skills.  They are talking about Autism and we've been given the impression that's what it is.  We just are waiting to get testing done and get an official diagnoses for her. We have her in 2 speech therapies and 2 occupational therapies.  She has a feeding tube, she is a Failure to thrive. She doesn't speak, doesn't respond to her name and doesn't call us anything tho she knows that Ahma and Papa are the ones who love her and meet her needs.  She kisses us and hugs us. She has sleep difficulties also. But she is a TRUE GIFT.  We wouldn't trade her for anything.

I am on here to learn what I can.

So that's about it.

ahma Kathy

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
aakeiser
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Welcome!! I think it is great you want to learn more to help her..I am sorry she has had such a rough start.  Your stepdaughter has her work cut out for her, but I am sure with your love and support she will do just fine.  What do you need to know about autism?  My best advice is to take it a day at a time. My son gets therapy at school and through Children's hospital, and double it has worked for him.  My son is 6, but we have known there was something not right with him.  He has sensory processing disorder, autism due to lead poisoning, and who knows what else..This is a great group, and I am sure they will try to answer all your questions..My name is Amy..

twins0506
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM
Welcome to the group! You came to the right place to find out information. I'm sorry your granddaughter has to go thru so much but it seems like she is in a very good place right now. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Welcome to the group! I'm glad you are here.  :)

odie_driver
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Welcome, and kudos to you for taking your granddaughter in! She's all the better for having your loving care. 

ahma1953
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Thank you very much.  I'm looking forward to learning.

letstalk747
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM

welcome , glad you are here 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)