• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The need to do things wrong?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM
  • 9 Replies

My 3yr. old is on the mild side of the spectrum,But changes occur daily. He is very intelligent. He reads, does not always comprehend what he is reading but reading none the less.I could go on and on. He has known these things for over a year now. Counts to 30. Counts backwards from 10. Knows off colors like teal, indigo and violet. Shapes pentagon hexagon. You get the picture. Anyway he now has a touch screen monitor for the computer. he plays a lot of educational games. Such as PBS.He played the games the right way when he first started on the computer. Now he deliberately picks the right answers last. I understand to some point why he likes to do that. The wrong answers have funny ways of saying your wrong. He likes those reactions. He thinks they are funny. Much funnier than the reactions you get for the right answer. The thing is there are some games that he plays that doesn't have as funny of a negative reaction and he still does it.you can actually see him go to pick the right answer and suddenly stop and pick the wrong one. We know he knows the right answer because it is always the last to be picked.Would any one have any insight on why he is so obsessed with picking the wrong answers first?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
milfanyway
by Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Probably just to see what will happen...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DyerMaker
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:44 PM

He is studying "Cause and Effect".

odie_driver
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:32 AM

I agree with the other moms. He's learning cause and effect and that SOME things have a different "effect" than others.

Sometimes when he picks the wrong answer, its funny - and other times its not really that funny. In fact, it may even be confusing him a bit, so he'll likely keep doing it until he figures it out for himself. 

ladyeight29
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Thanks ladies. I thought the same thing but wanted to see what others thought as well.

ROGUEM
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is HFA and went through a period where he would answer verbally incorrectly.  He would do it on purpose and think it was the funniest thing ever. He would laugh and say " that is funny".  I had to tell every therapist and teacher he would do this so they would know he was misssing them on purpose.  He did it on and off for  a year.  He still teases sometimes.  He has a very prominent sense of humor so I just go with it.  He is extremely intelligent and does cause and effect all the time. 

I would not let it bother you at all.  As he matures, he will answer correctly when it is important.  My son understands on a test, you can't play around.

ladyeight29
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Thanks for telling me that. We are going through that now as well. ( verbally wrong answers ) His speech teacher noticed it right away we didn't have to explain it to her.She is fascinated with him and his ability to read. But we did have to explain it to his preschool teacher. He just started pre-school right before the holidays in November.Sometimes it seems like when he thinks and I stress HE thinks he has mastered something then he really doesn't want to do it anymore. Looks for a harder challenge.Which is fine most of the time at least he is progressing forward.

ColleenMarie81
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Quoting ROGUEM:

My son is HFA and went through a period where he would answer verbally incorrectly.  He would do it on purpose and think it was the funniest thing ever. He would laugh and say " that is funny".  I had to tell every therapist and teacher he would do this so they would know he was misssing them on purpose.  He did it on and off for  a year.  He still teases sometimes.  He has a very prominent sense of humor so I just go with it.  He is extremely intelligent and does cause and effect all the time. 

I would not let it bother you at all.  As he matures, he will answer correctly when it is important.  My son understands on a test, you can't play around.

my son does this as well and then laugh like it was so funny :)

BeccaGK
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 2:22 AM

My 5 yr old has aspergers and he does that all the time. His 3 yr old sister watchs Dora and Diego and he always answers wrong and just laughs like crazy! He does the same thing on the computer sometimes as well. Like your son, he taught himself to read when he was 3 and knows shapes and colors and can add and subtract so we know he knows the answers. If its something that hes known for a long time, he gets bored with it so he wants to entertain himself somehow. We have realized that he does it less since we have started to ignore it. We started trying that when his sister started giving the wrong answers too cuz she saw her brother doing it. I think its not as funny if they don't get a reaction.

ladyeight29
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Yes I kinda figured it was a boredom thing.Because when first introduced to something new he strives to do it right. Then like I said before if he thinks he's mastered that task he has to see what happens if you get the wrong answer,Then he gets bored with it and moves on to other things.I have also noticed that if I sit with him and kinda make him do it the right way he wants to move on to something else.So I try to have something new already picked out so the transition to a new task is so troublesom to him as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)