Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Need Advice On Sensory Integration

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 11:58 AM
  • 17 Replies

Well I know my son has this he was diagnosed Autistic with Sensory Integration Disorder and Behavioral Issues a month ago... He smells things in unusual ways and doesn't seem to have a sense of distance or closeness a friend came to visit with her daughter and he was trying to get her attention a lil too close *facetoface*  among other things...  Does anyone have a small description that would explain this a lil simpler than wikepedia?

by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gina3057
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:04 PM

He doesnt get things the way we do. Its an input output confussion of information due to the brain not functioning properly Example. A small touch can feel like a slap. Usually these kids need firm handling like bear hugs. Hearing smell touch sound fine motor skills sometimes speech all affected. I had OT for my son at two. It helped. He is now 15 still deals with the sensory and has ASD. There is a good book called the out of sync child. You should read it lots of info. Wikpedia is not the place to be Thats just a definition. So much info available on the web in great detail. It takes time to understand. Research and get early intervention. This dosent just go away.

Good Luck

Hottubgodess
by Jackie on Jan. 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My son has SPD.  Clothes rub/itch.  Sock seams are bad.  Jeans can be too tight.  Things are too loud, too bright, stink too  bad.  :)  I know what you speak of.  :)

Check out this page .  It explains alot.  My son's sensitivities change from day to day.  He might not be able to wear a pair of underwear today (too tight)  but tomorrow they might be ok.  :)  Look into OT (Occupational Therapy).  We learned lots of ways to help him with his sensitivities.  :)  Also check out the book "The Out of Sync Child".  It is awesome! 

Behaviour issues can go hand in hand.  An SPD child becomes overstimulated, they will react with aggression or want to run.  Fight or flight.  I have a hard time getting his teachers to get this.  They see him as defiant.  I see him overstim. 

Good luck.  It will explain alot and open some doors for you. 

Hottubgodess
by Jackie on Jan. 17, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Ok - simple explaination:

Your child feels things different than we do.  A smell is very intense to your child.  Think of it like "pregnancy nose'.  Remember how you could smell poop a mile away.  That is how it is for your child.  :) With my son - someone touches him unexpectedly - he responds as tho he is being attacked (fight or flight response).  His brain does not read the signals correctly. 

I'm not crazy....I have two boys.....roflmbo....

I love my Sensational DS1 and my Boysterous DS2...both born preemie, full term breastfed, until they self weaned.  I am a Lactivist, a CubScout Den Leader, Self employed, and still take the time to be my Children's Attachment Parenting Mom and my DH's Girlfriend.  My DH is my best friend. :)

Medications and Mother's Milk Group - Group Owner

2puzzlepieces
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Read the Out of Synch Child.  It will help a lot!  The explanation she gives about sensory issues is very easy to understand and helps so much to see things from my kids eyes.  What I remember most is that to the person with appropriately working senses their brain has catalogued what to do with the information they receive from their senses.  They know what they can ignore (being cold if it is a mild discomfort), what is immediately important(that they are so cold they are in danger and must take action to get warm now), how to respond to stimuli without a great deal of thought (the drink is making my hand uncomfortably cold so I put it on a table while continuing to focus on whatever I was/am doing without interruption), and are able to assess incoming information without inducing flight or fight response unless the incoming stimuli warrants such immediate and extreme action.  

The book will go into much greater detail and help you understand your child better as well as how to deal with their issues.  I happen to have sensory issues myself so it not only helped me with my child but with myself too.  In addition to reading the book you can look into occupational therapy.  Even if you only go for an evaluation and to get some ideas on how your child would best be helped.  

Alma4Mom
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you ladies so much this helps a bunch I have a hard time knowing like is this just him or is this his autism or his sensory issues I guess they go together either way its cute in a way but when hes older it might be a lil awkward the whole thing of him being sensitive to one thing one day and not the other was really throwing me off but I guess its the norm....

2puzzlepieces
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Absolutely it's normal to change from one day to the next.  Heck, it's normal to change from one hour to the next or depending upon situation.  I can't handle the sound of a human eating or drinking but it's soothing to hear my horses eat.  My son must have lukewarm bathwater, I darn near have to break out a thermometer to get it just right for him or he shrieks like i'm trying to kill him, but he'll jump in any standing body of water hot or cold to swim and not bat an eye at the temperature.  Some days the buzzing of flourescent lights gives me a migraine, some days I barely notice.  The best way I can think of to describe it is some days you wake up on the ball and ready to get to work, are productive and you are able to roll with the day.  Other days you wake up and are groggy, out of sorts and feel like you should just go back to bed and try again tomorrow.  Got the same night's sleep in the same bed in the usual way but for whatever reason your system functions differently from one day to the next.  It's the same for those of us with sensory issues.  Some days our senses are synched better than others.  

One thing you'll read in the Out of Synch book is that there are things that can be done to deal with the incorrect sensory stimuli as well as things we can do to fine tune our sensory systems.  An occupational therapist will help you sort all that out with your child.  They'll do therapies and probably teach you therapies to do at home that will help improve your kid's sensory system.  They'll also help you learn what you can do to recognize and help your child when he's being over or under stimulated.  You'll read about a lot of that stuff in the book too.  

I'm glad you think some of the things your boy does are cute.  Sometimes the toughest part (for me at least) is remembering to recognize the cute, fun things they do as well as deal with the not so cute.  

AleysMom9
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Thank you all . I am going threw this same thing with my daughter. the  SPD has gotten so bad with her, from throwing things to not wanting to no anything around here u can NOT rush her it just makes it worse

aakeiser
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is six and has sensory processing disorder which is close.  He does have trouble with personal space, its like he doesn't understand it.  He has issues with food, nothing smooth, has to be crunchy.  He only eats a handful of things. I know that both processing and intergration was under the same thing, you can try doing sensory processing disorder.  there is a sensory processing disorder main web site,  I can't remember off hand, since we found he had autism I haven't been on the site in a while..I know they talk about intergration disorder, and if you get some books they tie both together in most cases. I can try to answer any questions you have..

opal31
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM
3 moms liked this

Along with everyone else has posted, you can also try the "brushing technique." This has helped my nine yr old son with his sensitivity to touch. Ask the OT about it.

nancychef1
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 4:05 PM

All I can say is for sensory integration disorder - two of my children were diagnosed with it (both also are very anxious children, but not autistic; nor did we have serious behavior issues).

Kids with sensory integration disorder can't figure out where they are in space.    They get close to the top of the slide and it feels like they are 100 feet from the ground and they panic.   Both kids had a hard tiime jumping rope, swimming, bouncing balls, etc.   Julie didn't walk until she was 16 months old,and that was after physical therapy.    We learned about a program at Univ. of North Carolina-Charlotte.    Each child had TWO neat college students to work with, 2x a week, and the whole semester was $150 (back in 1987).     They learned to jump rope, bounce balls, and actually became pretty good at those things.   Then they went on to swimming and did very well.  

If you get your child in music - avoid the string family and the flute - my children still had tonic neck reflex issues, and that didn't work.  The clarinet was great because it was right down the midline of the body.  

We had TONS of manipulative type toys at home.   (Once a week I had to sort them all because they'd get all mixed up!)    They also went to special "dance" (body movement) classes through the physical therapist.

Also, as was noted in comments - they feel uncomfortable in certain clothes.

Hope this helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN