Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just starting to seek a diagnosis

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM
  • 13 Replies

My son is 4.5.  He has an appointment next month to get evaluated.  I've had a few people tell me he is just like their kids who have autism.  What do you think?  This is the list of things we find different for the doctor.

• Lines everything up. Likes everything in order. Clothes must be laid out in order on the floor before putting them on. He has piles of books lined up next to his bed that nobody can touch.

• Doesn't let others truly play with toys. They must move things where he says when he says to.

• Doesn't understand personal space.

• Gets along better with older kids than kids his own age.

• Doesn't understand when someone is joking or being sarcastic. Takes everything seriously.

• Cannot have dyes or annatto. If he does he becomes violent, hyperactive, and does not sleep for a week. Dyes are worse than annatto.

• Talks to no end. Wants everybody to answer questions with the exact words he tells them to.

• Doesn't seem to really understand games like tag. Instead he just runs around in circles, screams and pushes everyone.

• Has no volume control. Screaming is a constant battle.

• TV makes him hyper for the rest of the day most of the time.

• Pees 2-6 times per hour. Is always doing the potty dance and has damp underwear from trying to hold it in. Is a heavy nighttime bedwetter.

• Does not like getting dressed. Will sit in his room for hours on end despite missing out on favorite activities to avoid dressing.

• Is terrified of small spaces, even being held too close or tight.

• Is lacking empathy.

• Hard to understand what he says. Doctor and speech therapist say something is a little off but they can't figure out what.

• Does not like to draw or color. He has drawn a stick person once in his life. Other than that he just scribbles.

• Will focus on one thing for hours, even at a really young age.

• Has to put toys in exact locations. No mismatch or disorganization allowed. Despite this he would rather have a large mess all around him.

• Will spend hours matching things.

• Has a hard time choosing which stall to use in public restrooms. To the point he is dancing around almost wetting his pants and still cannot choose.

• Says he feels left out even if the whole day focuses on him.

• Has a wonderful imagination but everything has to be realistic.

• Says he didn't sleep well because someone talked to him and woke him up but I know nobody did.

• Has a hard time with transitions, even transitions to fun activities like playing outside even when warnings are given ahead of time.

• Is mean to animals. Pulling the cat's tail. Throwing the cat. When the chinchilla is in her carrier kicking it across the floor. Hitting the dogs with sticks, etc.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kickinit
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:44 AM

There are lots of cues there, however, its best to wait...and see what they say. 

BeccaGK
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Hi, my son is 5 and we are in the process of getting him a dx of aspergers. There are quite a few things on that list that sound alot like my son. There are some that my son doesnt' do but there is the spectrum and no 2 kids are alike anyway. I think it is definetely good that you are getting an eval. We just had the pre-eval and the actual eval should be within the next month. Good luck

doverainej
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Hello, my name is Erin. My children are 9, 8, and 5...and I think they all have some degree of autism. I am currently getting them evaled at school, and am planning to take them to doctor that works with, and can dx if they are. I have speculated for years, with no help from previous doctors or schools, that they were from the time they recieved their immunizations at 6 mo. My oldest son has a lot of the tell tale signs of Asbergers, while my daughter and younger son are different.

JasonsMom2007
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:04 AM
Yeah I'm not looking for a diagnosis from you ladies for sure! This appointment is taking forever to get to and I just want to help my boy :(

Quoting kickinit:

There are lots of cues there, however, its best to wait...and see what they say. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mallowcup17
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:26 AM
He sounds very similar to some of the things my daughter does. Good luck with the evaluation and welcome to the group
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Waiting for evals is so hard. I have to say this does sound a lot like ASD. Where are you doing your evals? Have you talked to your local school district?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dawncs
by Dawn on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Yeah I'm not looking for a diagnosis from you ladies for sure! This appointment is taking forever to get to and I just want to help my boy :(

Quoting kickinit:

I know it is difficult waiting for the appointment. I waited months for mine, and I was on the list to call if an appointment opened up. Once the diagnosis happens, it will be well worth the wait guaranteed. While you are waiting, I recommend reading http://www.wrightslaw.com/ to learn more about Special Education. There are certain services which come automatically with the Autism diagnosis in the schools.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

northstar_07
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:42 AM

My 5 yr old daughter has this and so does my 11 yr old boy....  The testing that they do is long .............. But I knew it when the tests came back BUT I didn't expect me to be so emotional after knowing it deep inside.  ( with my son I found out a little over 3 yrs ago)  

JasonsMom2007
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Hes not quite old enough for school yet and is homeschooled anyways. He is going to a place called the mind clinic they specialize in these things

Quoting RochelleFS:

Waiting for evals is so hard. I have to say this does sound a lot like ASD. Where are you doing your evals? Have you talked to your local school district?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Preschool begins at 3 for autism dx and for other issues, pretty much if your child is behind on anything from speech, academics to social skills. They also provide ot and speech therapies for home-schoolers through the district. They also can do some evals, just can't give medical dx. Just another resource to keep in mind. Best wishes!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Hes not quite old enough for school yet and is homeschooled anyways. He is going to a place called the mind clinic they specialize in these things

Quoting RochelleFS:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)