• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM
  • 8 Replies

I just joined today because I am at my wits end trying to figure out how to help my son.  He was just diagnosed with PDD-NOS, most likely Asperger's, last year in kindergarten.  He was "in his own little world", though he was verbal.  He is now in first grade and doing much better...acknowledges people and plays with friends.  He can read and write and does well at math.  He is in a typical classroom but is taken out for two hours a day for resource.  Lately, he has been causing disturbances in class...just blurting out potty words during quiet times or when the teacher is talking.  When the teacher says something to him he usually says something like "okay farthead" and just looks at her (or me) and smiles waiting for a reaction.  When he does this he is sent out of the classroom to the resource room until the next section of class.  He has missed so much class in the last couple weeks because of it.  We know that they are going to be asking us to put him in a self-contained classroom if this persists.  We have tried talking to him, getting him to understand that what he is doing is not acceptable.  We are trying different medications...it's just so slow and difficult to figure out what, if anything is going to work.  My husband is getting more upset at our son everyday.  I go back and forth on trying to determine whether it is something that our son can control or not.  My husband, and part of me, thinks that he is just doing it so he can leave the classroom.  The teachers are convinced that leaving the classroom is a punishment because he begs not to leave.  We have punishments in place at home...he doesn't get to play his new DS if he gets sent out of the classroom.  Nevertheless he got sent out 4 times yesterday.  I just don't know what to do.  My husband is so upset and so am I.  We never imagined that we would be dealing with something like this and the possibility of our son, who two years ago we didn't suspect of having autism, would have to be placed in a self contained education room.  Any thoughts?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bcjmom31
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Its so difficult and my heart aches for you all. The only advice I can give right now is have patience and stay consistent with the discipline. If its behavior he will stop if its not then you will know. Either way make sure you tell the DR. Its a tough road and we all have to stay the course through these really rough times. Welcome to the group and always know you are not alone. We are here for and praying for you as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe AmyS
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Welcome!  You'll find a lot of advice and support here.

JCC31
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I would ask the teacher is he doing this behavior at certain times a day...during a particular subject....is it always "bad" words or is he just being fidgety in class while everyone is supposed to be listening?.......get these answers ...go to the classroom and see if there is a quiet spot in class where he can still stay in class when he disrupts and maybe work on a different activity , so he isn't removed from class and he can still have some time alone from all the activity. See if these things help. Good luck and welcome to the site...I'm new here too..but, I love giving advice:)

fawnie
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group. I understand where you're coming from. My son was diagnosed with Autism just a few months ago.  I, too, had no idea a couple of years ago that this would happen. My other 2 boys were easy to raise compare to Eddie. He's 6 years old now. Before the diagnosis, Eddie was in a regular kindergarten class. He was there for only 1.5 hours a day because he kept causing disruptions. For instance, if another kid looked at him, he would start yelling and kicking doors.  He even tried to run out the doors before. Scary! Now, he's in a special education class for half day and is doing much better. The staff are trained to handle the tantrums, name-calling and other fun behavior Eddie throws at them. (Plus, fewer kids in the classroom and more teachers.) I learned the forms of discipline that was used at school and then tried to use the same methods at home. Consistency is key. I've let him get away with far too much. I'm learning too. I've also looked into the Autism Resource Center in town for extra help. Everyday is a learning process for our whole family.

Hang in there. It does get easier to deal with. You are not alone.

Fawnie

rsclutch86
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:56 PM

First of all .... Welcome to the group! Not so long ago I was new here too and there is alot of support here!

Ok so on to your situation..... I can definately relate to everything you are dealing with. My daughter is in first grade and we are also dealing with the same problems. My daugher disrupts class and wont stay in her seat etc as well. She is also very smart and does great otherwise. We have found that if she is seated by herself then she tends to do better in the class. If her desk or seat is next to so much as one other person ... she acts out, disrupts class, etc. So if you have not tried it already i would talk to your childs teacher and see if they can move his seat just slightly away from others. This may be enough distance to allow him to stay in his "element" and may calm down. I hope this helps! Just hang in there. I totally understand how frustrating this is.

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Welcome to the group!

hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Is the classroom the only time your son blurts out words?  Is it possible he has Tourette's Syndrome?  He's in the right demographic for developing it.  http://www.medicinenet.com/tourette_syndrome/article.htm  (woo-hoo-hoo thanks to the ladies who taught me how to insert a link!)

JKent958
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Your son sounds like my grandson.  He started regular kindergarten and spent most of his time in the principal's office or the resource room.  He wasn't allowed to go to recess with the other children.  He disturbed the class and with the number of children in the room, the teacher couldn't deal with it so the principal intervened daily.  Now he is in a special school with maybe 8 boys in the class.  He gets the individual help he needs and is doing much better.  No matter what happens, the school district owes  your child an education.  GMA Judy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)