Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did your child have a hearing test?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM
  • 23 Replies

Did your kids have a hearing test at an Audiologist?  

My sons DR recommends it, even though I know he can hear, I feel pressured to go.  Just wondering what it is like?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
princess_1983
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM
My son had one when he was a baby. He has good hearing. He just ignores us sometimes. He was supposed to have one for his 4 yr check up but didn't understand it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ROGUEM
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM

All three of my children go to a private speech therapist.  The center requires a hearing test during the evalutation to rule it out. 

I think it is a good idea because some of the  children have  mild hearing loss problems come up.  It was a two part test for my boys.  They held  a ear device in their ears for a few seconds and it read if their ear was formed correctly. I though this was very cool because even if your child was a baby or nonverbal they could tell if something is wrong.

Then based on the functioning and verbal ability of your child, they do another test.  This test will involve your child raising his hand when he hears a beep.  He will wear earphones.  If your child is not up to doing that kind of  testing,  your child will go in a room (he can sit on your lap if he needs to)  and sounds will be played and they will gage if he turns his head towards it. The have little stuffed animal type things that the sounds come out of.  The sounds are different done at varying levels of volume and tones. 

Wendy there are several children in the center who appeared to be able to hear but were only getting part of the sounds or couldn't certain tones.  These children got hearing aids and were able to really improve to almost if not completely normal speech in a very short amount of time.  While I never wanted anything to be wrong with my children, I have to admit I am a little jealous of the quick fix.  I wish I could just buy a hearing aid and Stephen would be able to talk.  Instead I know there is a long road of speech therapy ahead for him.

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I asked about it and they did say about the test with the speaker and the puppet pops up

ROGUEM
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM

You can request to go into the room with him and he can sit on your lap.  They just monitor his reactions to the sounds. They don't require him to follow any requests or anything stressful at all.  From Aiden's point of view he is just sitting in a interesting room that makes sounds.

Leobaby2007
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Yes. It was the first things they suggested when he had not had any real words by 15 months. I had to take him to the Children's hospital, but I knew he could hear just fine.

RockinMama0608
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Well, Will had to visit an audiologist frequently because of his hearing loss.  Now that he is completely deaf, we don't have to see one as often. 

The audiologists Will has seen have been great.  We went to ones that specialized in pediatrics so they were very kid-friendly.  He has been through several different tests so if you have any specific questions I can try to help  :)

Hephner
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM
My son did. He passed the hearing screening that they do when he was younger. After his dx of autisum at Childrens Mercy they recommended not just a hearing assesment but also vision assessment too. So he started wearing glasses at the age of three. Shortly after that was the hearing testing and to my surprise he we found he had hearing loss in one ear.

As for the actual hearing assessment, I thought it was pretty neat. One part of the test the was listening to the different decibels he had to drop toy cookies In a bowl if he heard the tone. Another part of the test was repeating spoken words.
And a toy would light up and make noise if he got it right.
My son has nearul hearing loss. I can't remember the exact wording. It affects the midtones.

We were refered to the Ear, nose and throat or ENT for hearing aid approval. He approved the hearing aid,then he told me it wouldn't help right there in front of my son.
I had told him I wanted the approval
anyway.

They made the assessment very fun.

We got him a hearing aid and two weeks after getting the hearing aid we could tell a difference in his hearing. All that to say this even though he hears ok he still could have a hearing loss.

I really hope I made sence I'm using my phone and can't edit it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3_dll
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM

My son had one done at the Children's hospital not that long ago actually.  He had to have one done from having chronic ear infections and two sets of PE tubes.  His neurologist wanted to be sure his hearing was fine.  My son did pretty well, he was 4 when he had this done.   The audiologist knew ahead of time that he has autism, so she was really prepared for anything and any creative tactics to use. 

RochelleFS
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM
This is how Rhiannon's test was. We also had to have a hearing test done prior to speech eval and therapy.

Quoting ROGUEM:

All three of my children go to a private speech therapist.  The center requires a hearing test during the evalutation to rule it out. 

I think it is a good idea because some of the  children have  mild hearing loss problems come up.  It was a two part test for my boys.  They held  a ear device in their ears for a few seconds and it read if their ear was formed correctly. I though this was very cool because even if your child was a baby or nonverbal they could tell if something is wrong.

Then based on the functioning and verbal ability of your child, they do another test.  This test will involve your child raising his hand when he hears a beep.  He will wear earphones.  If your child is not up to doing that kind of  testing,  your child will go in a room (he can sit on your lap if he needs to)  and sounds will be played and they will gage if he turns his head towards it. The have little stuffed animal type things that the sounds come out of.  The sounds are different done at varying levels of volume and tones. 

Wendy there are several children in the center who appeared to be able to hear but were only getting part of the sounds or couldn't certain tones.  These children got hearing aids and were able to really improve to almost if not completely normal speech in a very short amount of time.  While I never wanted anything to be wrong with my children, I have to admit I am a little jealous of the quick fix.  I wish I could just buy a hearing aid and Stephen would be able to talk.  Instead I know there is a long road of speech therapy ahead for him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Thanks everyone it doesn't sound as bad as I have imagined I'm sure. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)