Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi! Mom w/ Aspergers, kids w/ Aspergers

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hi! I'm new to Cafemom. It's a little confusing still, so please bear with me while I get used to it. :)

My name is Carrie. I have Asperger's Syndrome. My oldest son is diagnosed with it, as well, and my daughter is borderline. (Not enough markers for a dx.) My youngest son is not on the spectrum and only shows sensory processing disorder. My husband is also not on the spectrum. We have a housemate who also has Aspergers.

I blog about my Asperger's and how I navigate life with a differently wired brain. Link is in my sig. :)

~ Carrie :)
http://parentingwithaspergers.blogspot.com/
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Welcome to the group! We are a wonderful bunch of ladies. You can find support and suggestions when you need it most in your life. You might want to check out http://www.wrightslaw.com/ to learn more about I.E.P.s.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

mallowcup17
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Welcome to the group!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe AmyS
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM

welcome

AspieCarrie
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Thanks, ladies!

busyboys4
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 3:03 AM

HI!

hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Out of curiousity, do you think that YOUR having Aspeger's makes you understand your kids better or make it harder to deal with their issues?  My husband has Asperger's, and he really struggles when the kids have difficult moments. So, if the kids are having a meltdown, it puts my husband in a tailspin, where he starts to meltdown and can't deal with them.  He'll yell at them to be quiet, without knowing why they're upset, which makes the child more upset and meltdown more, which in turn makes hubby meltdown more.  I wondered whether that was a result of two Asperger's people butting heads, whether it's a male vs female thing, or whether that's just my hubby's individual personality.

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Welcome to the group!

AspieCarrie
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hwifeandmom:

Out of curiousity, do you think that YOUR having Aspeger's makes you understand your kids better or make it harder to deal with their issues?  My husband has Asperger's, and he really struggles when the kids have difficult moments. So, if the kids are having a meltdown, it puts my husband in a tailspin, where he starts to meltdown and can't deal with them.  He'll yell at them to be quiet, without knowing why they're upset, which makes the child more upset and meltdown more, which in turn makes hubby meltdown more.  I wondered whether that was a result of two Asperger's people butting heads, whether it's a male vs female thing, or whether that's just my hubby's individual personality.

It helps me understand my son better, but I struggle with understanding my daughter and I'm not really sure why. If she has a meltdown, my husband deals with her. If my son is having a meltdown, I deal with it.  If I'm forced to deal w/ Rachel's meltdown, I get like your husband and go into a meltdown of my own and, ultimately, shut down. It's not pretty.

Recognizing this makes it easier for me to cope if I'm forced to deal w/ Rachel's meltdowns (like if Tim isn't home), but I still will shut down later, when I can finally walk away from it.

~ Carrie :)
http://parentingwithaspergers.blogspot.com/
culinaryqueen
by Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Welcome

OceanGoddess
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Welcome! I have a 5 year old with autism as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)