Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are the best places you've found for your child on the spectrum to enjoy him/herself with their peers?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM
  • 0 Replies

I saw this in The Stir - What other places have you found where your child can really enjoy him/herself?

Broadway Shows for Autistic Kids Are a Step in the Right Direction

Posted by Jeanne Sager on February 8, 2012 

Broadway

The basic pleasures denied kids on the autism spectrum are many. But that doesn't mean they can't have fun. Thanks to some non-profit funding, two of the most popular family shows on Broadway are going autism-friendly.

Disney's The Lion King and Mary Poppins will each have sensory-friendly showings this year with discounted tickets for families. Can I get a woohoo?

The shows are far from the first to go sensory-friendly. There are several national movie chains that have been offering one night of movies just for kids on the spectrum for years. In some towns, the circus will change up its act to allow the nearly 1 in 110 kids diagnosed each year with the disorder to enjoy the show, and kiddie groups like The Wiggles have become popular in the special needs community in part because they go out of their way to make sure these kids have a good time too.

But you know what they say about how every little bit helps? When organizations as big as Disney, as venues as well-known as theaters on the Great White Way make a move like this, it puts the rest of the world on notice that kids with autism are just as important as their peers. They deserve a day out to have fun and enjoy cultural activities just like other kids who don't have their special needs.

Heck, as a mom of a child who isn't on the spectrum, I'm willing to say these kids -- and their parents -- might even need it more. My daughter can go enjoy herself at something like this every day; she's blessed. But these kids already have so much they can't do . . . it's only right that the list of things they CAN is growing.

What are the best places you've found for your child on the spectrum to enjoy him/herself with their peers? 

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)