Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anxiety disorders

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM
  • 22 Replies

Hi everyone.  As many of you know, my 10 year old boy has Aspergers.  This past weekend he was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder.  (something I always knew in my heart)  This makes me sad and worried but I just want to make the right choices to help him.  DO any of you have experience with this?  I am wondering of we should medicate, or just keep trying therapy.  I want him to learn strategies, but he is suffering and I want that to stop.  I would appreciate any advice.  Thanks!

simple frown

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe AmyS
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

hugs

hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids are not medicated for anxiety, but my daughter is medicated for mood disorder.  My experience with the mood disorder is that we couldn't work on behaviors until she had medication that put her in a frame of mind that she could be reasoned with.  Depending on the severity of the anxiety, I would imagine that it's the same thing.  If you are SOOOO anxious that you can't work on strategies, then you made need medication before you can work on implementing strategies to overcome anxiety.  If his anxiety isn't completely overwhelming, then you may be able to work on behaviors without medication.  (My dog is on anxiety meds.  Although she still has anxieties, the meds bring her down to a level that we can work with her.  I swear my dog has Asperger's -- she has severe anxiety, she's a picky eater, she misreads social cues, she's ADHD, etc.  At least the kids understand her!)

jenwit2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Thanks for the hug Cafe Amy!  and hwifeandmom thanks for making me laugh (about your dog not your children!)  Your advice was almost reading my mind by the way.  I just got through doing some reading and realized that we have been going to treatment for his Asperger's but have not done an specific treatments for anxiety yet.  I feel the Dr. may be jumping the gun on the meds.  I will be looking into treatments and maybe a natural calming herb? (anyone know about KO-kiddie calmer?)   His anxiety is always there but isn't out of control.  Unless we are getting on a plane or a ride or something like that.

Thanks for the support!  I'm no longer crying about this.

Homeschoolmom99
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM

we did not medicate for years now as a pre-teen we have started him on attivin (sp) and calm child which is sold at vitamin shoope

jenwit2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:28 PM

First of all I hope that the meds. bring some relief for your pre-teen.  (those are tough years)  Please let me know sometime how you think it works if you don't mind.  Also I will look for calm child tomorrow. I was looking for something like that.

Thanks!

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

we did not medicate for years now as a pre-teen we have started him on attivin (sp) and calm child which is sold at vitamin shoope

nicksmom217
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

i can tell you my son's story. because of anxiety, my son had a very serious depression, when he was 10 years old, it was so bad, he lost  a lot of weight, he didn't play  or watch tv. we had to put him on meds, my hands where shaking first time i gave him meds, it helped with depression, he was on meds for 3 years. he is 13 now, he has very hard time with changes, school, kids, social situations, it can be from meltdown, to sweaty palms, headaches, stomach paints, he has dx of social anxiety.  it is very hard, it took him full hour to calm done, so we  could take him first time for social skills group. we do breathing exercises, me reassuring him, holding him, but, it is a struggle, if the therapy will help your son, try that, try meds. a lot of times anxiety comes with being on spectrum. good luck to you and your son.

mallowcup17
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
((Hugs)) we use a combination of therapy and medication. Its what works in or case but every child is different
Best of luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HealthWriter
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I am just learning about autism. My niece and nephew have a variety of it--the nephew has been diagnosed as Asperger's; the niece's problem  I don't think has been given a definite name. I joined this blog to learn about the condition(s) from those directly impacted by it. My heart goes out to all of you. You are brave and strong and loving I can tell.

Homeschoolmom99
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Here is what we use. In november just before he turned 12 Ant had a huge meltdown and wound up on a 51/50 hold he just could not handle the stress the ativan works as well. We have watched him speak better and act better.

He gets a shake in the morning with yogurt and fruit and milk and knows he is getting it! He gets 1 mil of ativan and two droppers of calm child. My wife busy one day just plain forgot (first week with him I was in school) and we saw him melt like butter in a pan of just one day no shake!

Quot

Planetary Formulations

Calm Child Herbal Syrup (2 Fluid Ounces Liquid , $0.62/serving )

List Price: $14.50
Your Price: $14.29
Save: $0.21 (1%)
Qty:

ing jenwit2:

First of all I hope that the meds. bring some relief for your pre-teen.  (those are tough years)  Please let me know sometime how you think it works if you don't mind.  Also I will look for calm child tomorrow. I was looking for something like that.

Thanks!

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

ROGUEM
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I oldest son is 12 and has Aspergers.  He suffers from situational anxiety and it is sever.  He is afraid of thunderstorms and will become so panicked that he vomits and feels faint.  I started him on Zoloft because his anxiety continued to escalate over the years.  He is doing so well now on the medication.  He still has anxiety but it is manageable.  He no longer vomits and is able to regulate himself through it.  Medication is a personal choice but if it makes your child stand out and create scenes at school then it might be the right solution.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)