Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What type of doctor diagnosed your child?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:27 PM
  • 16 Replies

 I took Hunter to his pediatrician today for a physical and his pre k shots. We are already talking with/under the care of the Dept of Special Education psychologist but his pediatrician referred us to a child psychiatrist at a hospital.

 Does he need to see a psychiatrist? I am so confused.


by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Marshall was diagnosed by a psychologist, psychiatrists, neurologist, speech and occupational therapist team for Dallas Medical Centers Crystal Childrens Charity Autism Program

My daughter's ADHD, vocal tics and anxiety were diagnosed by a psychiatrists

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM
My son was diagnosed by a pediatric Neurological dr
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:34 PM

My son was diagnosed by the school specialists.  For several weeks, Eddie was observed while attending kindergarten.  He was only there for 1.5 hours a day. That's all he could handle before the school would call me. (He'd get overwhelmed then cause distractions in the classroom.)  Observations and notes were taken by the school psychologist, kindergarten teacher, school principle, school counselor, and an Autism specialist. The school psychologist lead the observation.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM
I took my son to a psychologist, psychiatrist and a developmental pediatrian. None of them, including his speect therapist, believed he was onnthe spectrum. Finally, a child psychologist at his developmental pediatrician's office adminstered the ADOS and my son was indeed found to have ASD. I suspected it since he was nine minths old, but it was not until 4 years plus one month when he was diagnosed! Even the evaluators at his school district said "no way" to autism, but in my heart, I knew they were wrong.

Anyway, to answer your question- there are many people who can dx- a psychologist or psychiatrist, the school district evaluation team, a neurologist, or a developmental pediatrician, which seems to be the type of doctor many people prefer to have dx their kids. GL!

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:45 PM

My daughter was evaluated and diagnosed by a psychiatrist.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM

2 psychologists. The first one through the school system and early intervention. The second was a private eval.  He has PDD NOS. We are wanting to get some genetic testing done to rule out a few similar conditions, but we need to get a referral from a developmental pedi.

My thinking is, a psycologist cannot prescribe meds, and if your child happens to need meds to help with some of his symptoms, then it would make total sense to see a psychiatrist, neurologist, or developmental pedi.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:21 PM

 Thank you. I really didn't understand, so I was scared that I may have been explaining myself wrong or not as well as I needed to. I feel better now.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I took my daughter to a psychologist first and she administered all the test which showed my daughter was borderline pdd nos and may have add. I took her to a pscyhiatrist for the add and he within in one session and reviewing her records said she is not pdd nos but aspergers. Which i personal felt all along. But girls show aspergers different than boys. But until you feel your child has someone or a team that understand them i would keep trying

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:34 PM
My son was diagnosed at the university by a speech pathologist, a pediatrician, an occupational therapist, and a psychologist. The entire evaluation took five hours.
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM
My sons dx came from a pediatric neurologist and then from the "team" at his school (speech therapist, psychologist, social worker, occupational therapist).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)