Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

heart broken .

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM
  • 9 Replies
i live in Ireland and there was a recent debate that advised that the parent is a cold mother issue that have given their children no affection from birth u have no.idea how hurtful this is especially after a bad day
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mtothe5th
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM

:( sounds like the debate was grasping for straws.  I know in our instance, with my own kids, they recieve a ton of affection, are rarely put down as young infants, never left to "cry it out", co-sleeping (till between 2-3 years old) and not left with others for the 1st year of their life.  I have been told I have "spoiled" them.

mallowcup17
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM
((Hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leobaby2007
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM
That "refridgerator mother" theory was debunked so many years ago! I cannot believe anyone still even "debates" it because it is 100% BS! I am so sorry you had to even hear about that issue. It's NOT TRUE. Just keep remembering that! (((HUGS)))
rsclutch86
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Definately keep in mind that this is not true. Whoever said that is cruel and anyone who would say that obviously doesnt know what it is like to have special needs kid. (((hugs)))

mom2zachy122
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:05 PM

This is a throwback from the 1940s and 50s when they were completely ignorant of complex brain physiology and were trying to understand autism.  It was a ridiculous theory and debunked even then.  Because so many of us have the "I should have/could have done more/better" we are easy prey for those who need a theory but haven't got a clue.

Don't give it a second thought.  Even if you WERE a "refrigerator mother"(stupid term), emotionally cold parents don't cause autism.....BRAIN DYSFUNCTION causes autism.

Leobaby2007
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM

^^^ YEP. This. Back in the 50's, they just couldn't WAIT to PIN autism on us moms, calling us "refridgerator mothers", and that's WHY our kids had autism. It's such a ridiculous notion it makes me want to laugh, but at one time, doctors (male doctors) believed there was merit to this lunacy. Can you imagine?

ROGUEM
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM

The "cold refrigerator Mom" theory was very prevalent in the 1950-60's.  They have no completely proven that this is a myth and completely false.  Whoever spouted that drivel to you is completely behind the times.  I think most Moms with an autistic child are over-loving to try to make our children show more emotion and affection.

I am sorry that you had that happen to you>

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:59 AM

((hugs))

misty5363
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM
thank you so much for the support:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)