Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Does Your Child Struggle With in School?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM
  • 21 Replies

My son is 10 with Aperger's. He does well in reading, math, science, and social studies. He does terrible in writing. There is no thought and no imagination in his writing. He cannot explain anything in writing. He really can't explain anything verbally either. He cannot think abstractly. I'm sure as he gets older school will get harder for him because of his lack of being able to think abstractly. He is not good at art because he has low muscle tone, and his fine motor skills are bad. Just looking to see if there are any similarities among strenghts and weaknesses in autistic kids in particular those with Asperger's.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Have you considered requesting Occupational Therapy in his Individual Education Plan also known as the I.E.P.? It works on fine motor skill issues.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

3mx2mom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM

He doesn't have an IEP yet. I've found that it is almost impossible to get OT services in the public schools unless you can't write. The OT doesn't care that he is 10 and can't tie shoes, button shirts or pants, or open chip bags himself. I guess when he asks his teacher to button his pants at 16, maybe just maybe, they will look at giving him some OT.

smarieljlee
by Sara on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM

My DD gets OT. Writing is very hard for her. she uses assistive technology for most of her work. Her other fine motor skills have improved some. Reading is also hard for her. She (6) was at the bottom of her class a few months ago. She may still bevery behind, but she is making huge strides. It takes a LOT of work though. She went from not reading, to reading in a few months. Math seems easy...so far. Everything else she is doing well. She needs a lot of redirection to stay on task with anything.

mustbeGRACE
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I would google "expressive language disorder" or "receptive language disorder" or "mixed expressive receptive language disorder".

This may help explain his verbal problems.

smarieljlee
by Sara on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I really worry how hard school will get for her in the years to come. It takes so much out of her. The social aspects as well as the academics. We are finally having a good spell and I HOPE it continues! She struggles with keeping focused, but many of the social things are bound to catch up with her. Kids love her and yet she cant interact well. We are just trying to stay positive and keep working with her!

ROGUEM
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:16 PM

My son is 12 with Aspergers and he struggles with paying attention, knowing what his assignments are, and finishing  testing in an appropriate amount of time (due to poor handwriting - it takes longer).  This year, I made his IEP address these problems with accommodations.  He is doing much, much better now with these in place.  My son does excel in reading, science, social studies, language  BUT MATH IS LIKE HIS NEMESIS!  He struggles because he can't do things that require more than 3 steps and now in 5th grade he is having to do long division and algebra and he can't get passed the 3-4th step.  Last year he didn't struggle in math because it wasn't as complicated.  I am not looking forward to geometry next year..ugghhh.

ROGUEM
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:19 PM

All three of my children get OT in school.  But they all had diagnoses privately first and then I had the school test them.  If your son can't tie his shoes, button pants, write, etc  he is deficient enought to get OT.  You really need to fight this.  That is not right and they are cheating your son of services he is deserving of. I am so sorry.

Quoting 3mx2mom:

He doesn't have an IEP yet. I've found that it is almost impossible to get OT services in the public schools unless you can't write. The OT doesn't care that he is 10 and can't tie shoes, button shirts or pants, or open chip bags himself. I guess when he asks his teacher to button his pants at 16, maybe just maybe, they will look at giving him some OT.

BeccaGK
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:56 AM

My son is 5 and he is really smart. The school has him reading at a 5th grade level. He does addition and subtraction and has a huge vocabulary. He is also really good with anything electronic. That being said, he has a really hard time with the fine motor skills. He tries to write but it's really big and loopy and hard to read. The school is actually teaching him to type so he can use a computer in school if he has to. He also has a strange run and is pretty clumsy and uncoordinated. And of course, the poor social skills. He also gets overwhelmed and has pretty severe meltdowns.

mallowcup17
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:45 AM
Writing is a struggle for Selena. She excels in math and reading
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:55 AM

My son is 5, does great at gym and playground time, matching, puzzles, cars, he has a hard time when other kids cry then he can't do his work and he gets upset and has meltdowns too.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)