Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Need some advice ASAP.....

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hubby and i are really needing some help......

My 3 1/2 yr old needs some major dental work.  he went for his 1st visit Tues, and all they could do was a visual.  DS has big meltdowns at any DR visits.  He has seen lots of DR's in his short life.  It like tramatizes him.  So Dentist suggested oral sedation then then they will do xrays and begin work.  He has 7 cavities and his 4 front teeth are badly decayed, they are hoping to be able to cap them.  I know it sounds bad, but all that damage was caused by Dr wanting him on straight Nector juice when he was 2, to make him gain weight.  Dentist says its so common, Dr perscribe it, but dont think about the damage its going to cause later.  Anyways we are reading over paperwork and are realizing that it will not knock him out, it only relaxes him, it says they will strap him down and not to be alarmed if there is bruising on arms and legs .  Parents are not allowed in back, I'm afraid if he doesnt see us he will have a meltdown and we wont b there to console him.  There is another option, and that is that they will send him to UCLA and have him totally knocked out through IV.  What do you guys think?  We have to make a decision by Monday morning, really need some imput on this.......Thanks

by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ROGUEM
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 9:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I probably would have my child totally knocked out mainly because the other option sounds awful.  I personally would want myself knocked out in that situation because it sounds lengthy.  I have 3 boys on the spectrum and medication works differently on them. I would be afraid that the oral sedation/relaxation medication wouldn't work well enough and my children won't be able to express that it was not working. 

Just my opinion.  I don't like my children to suffer when they can't understand why it is happening.

tinatyty2011
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Knock him out. :) No really, its best for everybody. Desmond needed major work done at that age and was (probly still is) extremely strong and hard to restrain. Even though I was hesitant, we had to do it. Bad thing for me though in the end, was the $1500 out of pocket that the insurance would not cover. Ugh. Good thing I had it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mammybee
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM

My son had to have a tooth worked on (ended up being pulled) when he was 5 and we had him admitted to the hospital, completely knocked out.  He took a silly drink to make him groggy and then they put in an IV and it was done within 15 minutes..  quick and painless and very stress free (for him, I was a nervous wreck).  It was the only way our dentist (who's been ranked #1 in our state for the last 10 years) would do it.  He said he didn't want to do it any other way because he didn't want to bring anything negative into the office to scare my son from having regular check-ups nor did he want any anxiety for my son, as they are aware of things going on around them.

Good luck with your decision, to your little guy and big hugs to you!!!

-Heather

Apollos82
by on Feb. 11, 2012 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have him fully sedated. I do not have a child diagnosed as on the spectrum (I am here because I nannied an autistic child and read for advice.)

But from my own experience with a colonoscopy, which you are sedated for but not "out"...it was horrible. I remember most of it. I felt violated, really. It was awful. I would never want that for a child.

I think full sedation is best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:10 AM
I agree with the other ladies here. I'm not big on meds but I think it would be for the best. It will be less stressful for him. Dd was had to be put under because she pushed a bead deep into her ear at school. We tried the ER and they sedated her and strapped her down. It was traumatizing for her and she fought the whole time. They ended up only pushing it deeper. We ended up having to go to an ENT and have it removed through out-patient surgery. I was a nervous wreck of course but it was much easier for dd. Best wishes and hugs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Anesthesia can be just as dangerous as major surgery itself. I would just explain due to his autism, that I would prefer to be in the room with him throughout the procedure
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2zachy122
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Quote:

I would just explain due to his autism, that I would prefer to be in the room with him throughout the procedure

That might work, but there's usually more than just "parents are a PIA" behind it.  I think it may be something recommended by the ADA, which means they are flirting with litigation if they allow a parent to be present, especially if anything happens.

Honestly, if DS has been traumatized prior, then knocking him out is the way to go, IMO.  Further trauma could be harmful for him and slow down him working through the trauma.  I'd go with knocking him out and do what I have to to pay the bill. 

((HUGS)) Wish I was a gazillionaire and could just pay mine and everyone else's bills!

snowfairys
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM
my kids had to go through the same thing when they where younger. we have had work done both ways. straped down, and knocked out. {i was able to be with them for both}
they are still able to remember the fear of being straped down, and they still fight even with the "calming meds" !! they where not able to finish everything because of them having such a hard time. they took all day to recover from the trama, and where not back to normal for like a week !!!
but, when we had them put to sleep, they where able to get all of work done !! they had no issues that day with extra behaviors !! if i could go back in time, i would for sure only put them to sleep, it was much easier on them !!
good luck on finding what's best for your little one !!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shell3m
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:59 PM

We said hell no to that for Dean.  Instead we looked around and we go to a place that's far away that lets Daddy back there with him and they make it into a game.  Dean's superman kind of thing and so far every visit has been amazing!  :)

Reina67
by Lisa on Feb. 14, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Thank you everyone! !! You helped us make a very informed decision. We are definitely having him put under. I know its the best for him
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN