Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medications.... Ideas for a poor appetite

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son is almost 8 and has been on meds since he was 5.  Ever since he started on the meds his appetite is gone.  He's become the pickiest eater ever.  He barely eats his "home packed" lunch.  I've taken him to the market with me to pick out his lunch items.  He does very well choosing and then doesn't touch it.  He weighs about 40 lbs and is in the 1% for his size ( all around ).  Any ideas?

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Kat940
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ROGUEM
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

If he is on a stimulant and it is negatively affecting his appetite, then you may want to talk to the dr. about intuitiv or tenex.  My oldest son will not hardely eat between the times of 9-4 because his adderall kills his appetite, but I just give him a large breakfast and let him eat alot in the evenings. He hasn't lost weight because of it, but if he starts to then I will switch him to tenex or intuitiv.

My middle son ability to metabolize food is affected by his autism. No matter how many calories he ate his brain won't signal his body to store the fat.  He has been put on a medication to cause him to gain weight.  It is an low dose of anti-depressant.  He is also on Risperdone for his anxiety but the dr purposely chose this medication to ramp up his appetite.  Both of these are working together and he is gaining. He was always underweight and at times just too dang skinny.  This combo has helped his body to store fat.  He is now looking so healthy. His bird chest has filled in and I don't have to pin his pants in the back.

I think if the problem is medications then you should start there, but if it a medical problem then you might need a dr. to help you find a solution.

kickinit
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:07 PM

If these meds aren't an option, there is a med they use for elderly called meg ace...its not really for appetite, but works wonders.  It must be farely safe if they will give it to them.  Just ask your doc when going over all this and he can check into it.eating

cythina208
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:43 PM
I like my med it has not effect his appetite. It is concerta.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Amy on Feb. 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM

My 14 year old daughter (adhd) is on medication that causes lack of appetite as well.  I usually make sure she eats a good breakfast, before the meds kick in and I allow her to eat at night when I wouldn't normally allow the others to eat.  She also drinks Boost type drinks at least once, sometimes twice a day, since she doesn't feel all that hungry but needs the calories.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)