Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

whats the best...

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM
  • 9 Replies
tablet to get an asd kid? A few pple are talking the xoom is good. I want to get Hayden some tablet of some kind. I was going to go with the ipad cuz thats what he uses at school. But now im undecided. What ones do u ladies have? anyone have anything not by apple? the pple that have the xoom and someothers, i dont remembed what they called them, say w any apple products u cant get as many free apps. all i want is one that i can get apps for speech for him. ive been given good lists of apps to get free or cheap. now i need to know whats the best thing to put these on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Feb. 17, 2012 at 8:53 PM
did u hear the rumor that next month apples releasing the ipad3? i may hold off and get him that one or get his thru his school or insurance then use the money i woulda used for the ipad on the apps if they are as pricey as some pple were saying. tho ive seen quite a few that are free or 99ยข or $1.99.

Quoting steph2884:

We have an iPad for my son. The only reason we have it is because our family members came together and bought one for us. I honestly love it. There are so many learning apps that have helped my son learn different things. It is pricey. I'm not sure what kinds of apps are available to other tablets. I also like the large screen of the iPad. My sil has a kindle fire, and it is just so much smaller! It could also be because I'm so used to the iPad. There are rumors going around that apple is going to make a smaller, more affordable version of the iPad. I personally think the iPad is awesome because there are endless apps and tons of accessories that you might not get with another tablet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kickinit
by on Feb. 18, 2012 at 1:17 AM

this is awesome and something i need to look into for my nephew.  He does not communicate very clearly and his writing will never be a very good form of communication. I'm excited about these apps, imust look into them!

isotoner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2012 at 7:25 AM

We bought our son the ipad 2 for Christmas, birthday, etc.  He's a hfa 9 yo, so we don't need it for speech.  I like the fact that it has a large screen.  He's so forgetful, that the large screen is easy to find when he doesn't remember where he left it.  We're working on that issue, but until then, I'm glad it's a large screen.  I don't know about the other brands, but I'm sure they are a lot like the ipad, so I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go with a different one.  I totally understand the price issue.  DH and I talked extensively about it.

Quoting steph2884:

We have an iPad for my son. The only reason we have it is because our family members came together and bought one for us. I honestly love it. There are so many learning apps that have helped my son learn different things. It is pricey. I'm not sure what kinds of apps are available to other tablets. I also like the large screen of the iPad. My sil has a kindle fire, and it is just so much smaller! It could also be because I'm so used to the iPad. There are rumors going around that apple is going to make a smaller, more affordable version of the iPad. I personally think the iPad is awesome because there are endless apps and tons of accessories that you might not get with another tablet.

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Feb. 18, 2012 at 3:08 PM
lemme find my post about apps that i was given a website to go to about asd apps and bump it up for u.

Quoting kickinit:

this is awesome and something i need to look into for my nephew.  He does not communicate very clearly and his writing will never be a very good form of communication. I'm excited about these apps, imust look into them!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saltycoqui
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I've been looking at prices for tablets. I can't afford an ipad (not all tablets are ipads, but all ipads are tablets- some folks forget).
I have been a Barnes and Noble member for many years. So I am looking into a pre -owned Nook tablet, 16 gig with about 1gig processor speed for about $200. I already have a Nook simple touch ebook reader which I love. The kids have been reading more and I would like them to have access to kid friendly books on a tablet.
One big thing I have noticed on the Nook tablet, that I have not seen in other tablets, is the odd little loop at one of the corners. I can totally use that to add a wrist strap (just like some cameras and the wii remote) so that they won't drop it so often.
I can maybe budget getting one a month, depending on our other back to school expenses.

Leobaby2007
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM
We got pur son an IPAD 1- pre-owned from Amazon, I think. (My husband got it for him). It was $250, I believe. It has worked out great. Eventually we will get him a newer generation, but he uses the heck out of this one! Carries it everywhere!!!!
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:33 PM
I ended up getting him the ipad2 w tax return money. That post may be here somewhere. lol. he loves it.

Quoting saltycoqui:

I've been looking at prices for tablets. I can't afford an ipad (not all tablets are ipads, but all ipads are tablets- some folks forget).
I have been a Barnes and Noble member for many years. So I am looking into a pre -owned Nook tablet, 16 gig with about 1gig processor speed for about $200. I already have a Nook simple touch ebook reader which I love. The kids have been reading more and I would like them to have access to kid friendly books on a tablet.
One big thing I have noticed on the Nook tablet, that I have not seen in other tablets, is the odd little loop at one of the corners. I can totally use that to add a wrist strap (just like some cameras and the wii remote) so that they won't drop it so often.
I can maybe budget getting one a month, depending on our other back to school expenses.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shell3m
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I have no idea...lol  too pricey for me.  :)

magickbaby
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Anything with an I in front of it is too pricey and way to breakable for little miss destruction..LOL

We got her an pink Vtech Innutab with fairies and princess games. There's reading and coloring, music and apps to download from the internet( none specific for asd, but she loves it, it entertains her, so I'm happy. She only uses it every now and then but is happy when she does. And if we did get an ipad ...it would be MINE ! *evil laugh*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)