Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I'm a young mother to a 5 year old autistic boy and I would love some advice as far as school is concerned

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm having a hard time in deciding whether or not i should put my son in kindergarten next school year, i'm kind of skeptical because he's behind on a lot and they want to put him in a regular classroom for  4hrs a day. I don't feel comfortable with him being in a regular class but i don't know what to do, so can someone  who's been through this problem please help me

by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM
Replies (21-24):
mamajoie
by Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 3:12 PM

My son has a Sept birthday and we waited the extra year. I homeschooled him from the middle of 2nd grade when it was so apparent that public school was not a good fit. We placed him back in school for social reasons toward the end of 3rd grade. I wish I had home schooled longer. As for advice, follow youown heart. What works for one doesn't work for another. Find out what services your son qualifies for, and if their placement does not feel appropropriate to you, you have the right to get it changed. The schools believe that the least restrictive environment is the regular classroom, but my son did not do well in that setting, he was more comfortable in special day classes but that too was not ideal, as the teachers did not always "get" autism. He was the "least restricted" in the autistic classroom, because he was understood and able to be himself, so he would blossem in those situations. Good luck to you. Ask questions, speak up, and know his rights.

easytolove
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I have choosen to Homeschool my son for the past 2 years and yes it takes a little more work to get him involved with other people, but those people are chosen by me. He gets to socialize with kids his age, kids older and younger then him. Not to mention how to get along with his little sister every day. I chose to Homeschool because I am a stay at home mom and I did not feel it is a teachers job to support my son and his quarks while trying to teach an oversized classroom. Ultimatly you have to do what works for you and your child, but please don't send him to public school because everyone else does. Give yourself and your child the opportunity to do things differently because your life will be different.

gogetem
by Mama Duck on Apr. 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Ive been there. Honestly, he regressed a LOT. I went in to aid one day and i was shocked at what i saw and in tears for weeks until i made the best decision of my life and took him out to homeschool him.
Marcy_182
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM

They do better and they catch up a lot faster in a typical setting with typical children in my experience, i refuse to put our son in special ed program; you will be surprise how good it can be for your child those 4 hours a day on a regular classroom.

Good luck

Hope it all goes well for you keep posting

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)