Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

have you ever? (sensory related)

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM
  • 14 Replies
so yesterday my boyfriend and i took all of our kiddos to a place called impact sports, it's a gymnastics place. it was pretty awesome, they have a foam pit, trampolines, a bounce house, all kids of stuff. my nt munchkins had a blast and i was thinking about doing a field trip there this summer for my asd preschoolers. i think they would love it, we have a sensory room set up at school but it's nothing compared to this. i think it might be a little overwhelming at first but as long as my group is the only one in there i think they will really enjoy it and the sensory input would be great. i was wondering if any of you have taken your kids to a place like this and what your experience was like. i talked to the owner and he said that he would love to do the field trip, he said he doesn't know much about autism but had heard that the sensory from his stuff is good for them. i was thinking about printing some information out for him and bringing it when i go book everything. do you think that would be too much? i want him to be informed on our kiddos before we come in so he understands what's going on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twins0506
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:15 AM
That would be awesome! I know my boys would love that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Dd's old therapy center had a gym like that. She loved it. My nephew had a bday party at one of those bounce house places. That was fun too. It can be overwhelming in a large group though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I think you are doing a wonderful job in teaching an owner at the right time with information. It could benefit other kids on the spectrum who have parents who want to sign them up for gymnastics. I did two years of tumbling at the local community center when I was younger. I had loads of fun.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

mallowcup17
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM
We have a place similar to that here and Selena loves it. Definitely a good idea
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justbrittanyb
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:49 AM
thank you ladies, i'm hoping if things go well he will do some sort of program for kiddos with special needs, he mentioned that another place does a summer camp type thing for kids with special needs and he might be interested in doing something similar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
odie_driver
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM

We have an Autism Support group here and we all went on a friend trip to a place like that - they had in the floor trampolines, a foam pit and all kinds of other things - the place was completed matted and the kids all loved it. 

Good luck with it, I'm sure the'll all have loads of fun!

kickinit
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

This is awesome!  Yes take him info.  he will appreciate it!  He will also have a better picture of how to teach your children and what things they will enjoy!  keep us posted how this goes!  god blessrolling on floor

mom2zachy122
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM

DS LOVES the bounce houses. It gets him COMPLETELY wired, though, so unless it's a structured setting, the rules, listening skills, compliance goes completely out the window.  His ADHD kicks in and he can't stop.  When he was younger, it was horrible because he couldn't sense "tired" and would go literally until he collapsed and was very very defiant about leaving or transitioning. Also, the overstim made him aggressive.  As he's gotten older, however, he's gotten better.  Also, he goes to gymnastics which has a lot of the sensory stuff, but in a structured setting and that has helped enormously in getting in the sensory stuff while still reinorcing the direction and rule following, turn-taking, etc.  He still gets wired and impulsive but is almost never aggressive anymore.  So, our overall experience has been very positive, but if this is a first exposure for some, you are going to want to do as much 1:1 (or as close as you can manage) for those first-time kids as you can and be sure you are able to maintain control so it doesn't turn into a bad experience for you, the kids or the owner.  It has he potential to be a great experience, though, I think.

I think the education for the owner is a great idea!

Good luck!

justbrittanyb
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM
right now we have a 2:1 ratio for kids to adults, i'm hoping we can get some parents to come along, that way we can be one on one and help our kiddos out, i have a couple who can get a little out of control and one who can get very aggressive, i'm hoping the sensory will help him settle himself since being outside of school for a field trip can be a little overwhelming. last summer we went on a trip to the zoo and it went surprisingly well, i'm hoping this goes even better because it will be indoors and more confined, a lot less transitions, we do sensory daily in our sensory room at school so they will be familiar with a lot of the stuff there

Quoting mom2zachy122:

DS LOVES the bounce houses. It gets him COMPLETELY wired, though, so unless it's a structured setting, the rules, listening skills, compliance goes completely out the window.  His ADHD kicks in and he can't stop.  When he was younger, it was horrible because he couldn't sense "tired" and would go literally until he collapsed and was very very defiant about leaving or transitioning. Also, the overstim made him aggressive.  As he's gotten older, however, he's gotten better.  Also, he goes to gymnastics which has a lot of the sensory stuff, but in a structured setting and that has helped enormously in getting in the sensory stuff while still reinorcing the direction and rule following, turn-taking, etc.  He still gets wired and impulsive but is almost never aggressive anymore.  So, our overall experience has been very positive, but if this is a first exposure for some, you are going to want to do as much 1:1 (or as close as you can manage) for those first-time kids as you can and be sure you are able to maintain control so it doesn't turn into a bad experience for you, the kids or the owner.  It has he potential to be a great experience, though, I think.

Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2zachy122
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Quoting justbrittanyb:

right now we have a 2:1 ratio for kids to adults, i'm hoping we can get some parents to come along, that way we can be one on one and help our kiddos out, i have a couple who can get a little out of control and one who can get very aggressive, i'm hoping the sensory will help him settle himself since being outside of school for a field trip can be a little overwhelming. last summer we went on a trip to the zoo and it went surprisingly well, i'm hoping this goes even better because it will be indoors and more confined, a lot less transitions, we do sensory daily in our sensory room at school so they will be familiar with a lot of the stuff there

Quoting mom2zachy122:

Good luck!

Sounds awesome and well-thought out :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)