Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Overwhelmed...where do I even begin

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi everyone. I am a mother of three kids under the age of three (2 1/2 years old, 16 month old, and 5 month old). My 16 month old was just diagnosed with autism. I am so overwhelmed and don't even know where to begin in the process of finding him the therapy he needs. Any guidance or suggestions would be extremely appreciated! Thanks in advance for all your help.

Lisa

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twins0506
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Where did you take him to get diagnosed? Because the place I took my boys was all part of what's called Early Intervention and they helped me get everything I needed. I really didn't have to do much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheabudda
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:32 PM

What state are you in? Most states should have an early intevention program for 1-3 year olds. Your child needs to be assessed further  to determine what areas he needs help in. For example: to see if he needs speech therapy or occupational therapy etc. Through early intervention the therapist can come to you home or it can be center based.

When you got the diagnosis did the psychologist give reccomendations?  If you are in NY, I can give more insight since I am in NY.  There may be nonprofits in your area that can help. Also contact Autism Speaks and see if they can guide you in the right direction. Also look for support groups. Cuz even though you need to find your son help you will need emotional support as well. I am hoping more members respond and between all of our responses, you find the help you need.  Another route to go could be to find a parent advocate. They can be extremely helpful.

Hottubgodess
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:36 PM
The good news is you know now! You can get him the help he needs earlier. ((hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LisaH18
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I originally took him to the Early Intervention program in our area (we are in FL). They told me he had various issues and that he had not faired well on the M-Chat. They said they would refer me to get him evaluated. I followed up with a phone call to which I found out they would not test him for autism until he was 2. I did not find this acceptable since before I became a stay at home mom I was in the field of education and knew the importance of early intervention. There was no way I was going to let my son sit for 6 months with service only 1 hour a week if there was a chance he was autistic. I went and got him privately tested to which we found out he fell in the moderate range. I have already asked for the early intervention program to evaluate their findings but have not heard back from them.

MTK07B10
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Hi. My son is now 18 months old and I have been looking for people that have kids close to his age. It seems there aren't too many. If you would like to get to know each other, ask questions, or compare notes just send me a friend request. I wish you the best of luck!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
j100806
by Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Hi. My name is Elly. I have one son (Jack) who is 5 years old and has autism.  Here is what I have learned-

Jack is autistic,not stupied. Do NOT let anyone tell you that your child will never be able to do certain things (especially doctors). Your child will become manipulative,all children do, try not to "baby" so much. 

If you have ever asked God for patience, this is your lesson.   One therapy does not help all children. ABA seems to be the one most suggested.  Most insurance does not cover anything that is related. Find out what yours does.  Alot of school systems offer what is called "Early On" it helped us alot. It's free.  O, and by the way, if you attach the word autism or special needs to anything-double or triple the price.

Diet was important with Jack, it may or may not help you.  Jack went from screaming in terror at certain noises like plastic bags rustling and severe constipation to having neither as a issue at all within 3 days.

If interested in diet, check out "Special Diets for Special Kids" they had it at my library. Great book, then bought it. (Gluten and dairy free)  Seems like there is one or both in almost all food. Fortunatley they are comin out with more and more options.

I wish I typed well , I could say so much more.  I can only assume that you are married. Autism can tear a marriage apart or make it stronger. Thank God mine is strong. Make time for each other, even if is only for a half an hour at the crack of dawn or late at night each day. It is just as important as helping your child.

By the way, just joined this site looking for help and support as well. Seen your posting, and started typing.

I'am done babling,for now. Good luck.             Elly

daisy730
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM
Hi- I'm in FL too and my son went through the Florida Easter seals Early Steps program. Fl.easterseals.com. They will provide early intervention therapy birth to 3 years . We were receiving speach ot pt and behavior at 17 mos. Once in the program they will provide you with lists of different therapists. Hope this helps
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
j100806
by Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Sorry, Elly again. I don't know where you are in Florida. Check out The Scott Center for autism treatment . It is in Melbourne (about 1 hour south of Orlando, almost directly across the state from Tampa)  the center is on the campus of the Florida Institute of Technology F.I.T..

dawncs
by Dawn on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Welcome to the group! You will find a wonderful assortment of ladies with a variety of different backgrounds. You will find support, advice, and encouragement when you need it most in life. You need to contact your local school district since he now qualifies for free early intervention services. You can find a local support group through your state chapter of the Autism Society. Some local YMCAs have an activity program for children with disabilities. I am including some helpful resources for you.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

marisab
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Welcome you are in the right place.For starters i know exactly how you feel about being overwhelmed and  i want you to know we are here for you

LOOK UP YPOUR LOCAL BIRTH TO 3 OFFICE THEY WELL GET HIM ALL THE SERVICES AND EVEN IN HOME TEHRAPY TIL HE IS 3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)