Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok so what am I missing? Please help.

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM
  • 10 Replies

This weekend I made a nice area in my dining room for my son and I to homeschool. He is 6. So far I purchased the following -

Pencils

Erasers

Eraser tops for the pencils

Markers

Chore Board - He was working in school with a smiley face system do something small get a smiley face after a few get a break so I thought keep to that system

Crayons

Safety scissors

Construction paper

Drawing paper

Large lined paper for practicing letters numbers etc

Stickers that say good job etc

paper cutter

Lots of dollar store workbooks starting with prek and k, some 1st grade stuff

oragami paper

oragami books to learn how to make things with the paper

Some homeschool books used they are only 3 yrs old

a map of the US poster

A poster that says be kind to your neighbors

A poster that says think before you talk

A crayola dry erase board with tons of plastic sheets you put inside and can do letters, numbers, games, etc

A potty book (he is potty trained, but he forgets to wipe all the time)

Curious George's box of curiousity comes with large puzzle, with large pieces 2 posters, 1 opposites/colors 1 numbers counting, + counting book + colors book + opposites book

2 poster boards

wall boarder with numbers on cars 1 through 6

large desk big enough for us to sit at together

1 book about having children understand what they read/reading comprehension ideas for parents

Glue sticks

Window clings A through Z - (first thing is going to be a project where we find the letters and paste them to a poster board

Plus we have an IPAD with lots of apps, for letters, numbers, thinking skills, Mr Rogers Neighborhood make a journal the electric company feelings app, expected unexpected, etc.

Also for gym time - I got him a bike and a new helmet

A pair of skate shoes to learn to skate

And a pair of old fashioned stilts someone was selling on craigslist the ones that are like yellow cups with ropes you hold and walk on? I know this is going to be difficult but I think they could help him a lot.

Tomorrow I am going to call around and find out if we can get physical therapy and speech therapy in the home.

And tomorrow I will be looking for any homeschooling autistic groups we can join

What am I missing?

I know I must be missing a lot. This is all I got so far.... Excited, and terrified! LOL. HELP?!

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twins0506
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM
I don't know because I don't homeschool but it sounds like you're off to a great start! Great job and good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoiseyGirl_78
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:17 PM

thanks hon

justbrittanyb
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
i would suggest a big exercise ball, i know it sounds a little off the wall but it works great for sensory when your little guy it having trouble sitting or focusing. i don't know much about home schooling but i work in a preschool for autistic kiddos and we use the ball a lot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoiseyGirl_78
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Okay sounds good thank you just brittanyb.

kickinit
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM

you have a great start!  I homeschool my kids and you have much more that i do not have...congrats!  maybe sit down and figure out what you are going to start with first second third.  dont push too hard the first week or so.  do lots of fun things and movement.  cook for science class or math class one or two days..they love that!  give lots of breaks and you can use sesame street...wiggles..etc as curriculum too...especially if mom needs a break!  ha ha!  i so hope this works good for you!  we love it and was a must for our son with adhd.  you can always add things or take things away later.  our curriculum has reading books they read and book we read orallly to them...make sure you incoorportae that also...national geographic kids is an awsome magazine with cool pictures and activites..check into some of those things for different things to do...you don't want monotony tto ruin your homechool experience.  great homechooling and god bless..keep me posted on your days, k?reading

mels712
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:00 AM

sanity and patience in excess? lol just thinking that if I homeschooled mine id go crazy. I wish you all the luck

gogetem
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:24 AM
1 mom liked this
We have a US flag in our school room and we say the pledge every day. My son
Loves his weather chart, too.
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I would make like a lesson plan so you can follow it or schedual 

KickButtMama
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Relax, sounds like you are off to a great start! I'd say, ease in to it. You have a ton of exciting stuff, but don't be surprised if at first your DS gets a little overwhelmed. I say, start w/ an hour a day for a week or so. Pose a clearly defined schedule & what you'll be working on (if your DS is not yet a reader, use pics) that way DS knows what the expectations are.
Hottubgodess
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Look into homeschooling groups in your area (thru public schools).  You can get plans that way.  I think you are doing well! 

I'm not crazy....I have two boys.....roflmbo....

I love my Sensational DS1 and my Boysterous DS2...both born preemie, full term breastfed, until they self weaned.  I am a Lactivist, a CubScout Den Leader, Self employed, and still take the time to be my Children's Attachment Parenting Mom and my DH's Girlfriend.  My DH is my best friend. :)

Medications and Mother's Milk Group - Group Owner

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)