Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Autism Parent Survey (just for fun)

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:12 PM
  • 81 Replies

Hey Ladies this is a survey just for fun to get to know each other...I actually got the idea in another group... 

A  What does your child with Autism ALWAYS watch/play?

U  Do you USE any special diets/ vitamins/ medications/ supplements with your child? 

T   How much TIME do you make for yourself in a week?

I  In order to fight stress I....

S  Is your child in SCHOOL? What grade and What type of program?

M  MY Favorite show is...

jigsaw ribbon

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Quoting aidensmomma508:

Hey Ladies this is a survey just for fun to get to know each other...I actually got the idea in another group... 

A  What does your child with Autism ALWAYS watch/play? My son likes to play cars and blocks and trains

U  Do you USE any special diets/ vitamins/ medications/ supplements with your child? not really he takes a multi vitamin though

T   How much TIME do you make for yourself in a week? when my son is at school

I  In order to fight stress I.... exercise, talk to friends 

S  Is your child in SCHOOL? What grade and What type of program?  my son is in a special needs pre-k

M  MY Favorite show is...Parenthood

jigsaw ribbon

mallowcup17
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM

A  What does your child with Autism ALWAYS watch/play? she really likes anything tinkerbell or barbie. tangled is her favorite movie at the moment. 

U  Do you USE any special diets/ vitamins/ medications/ supplements with your child? we try to eat as healthy as possible for everyone. 

T   How much TIME do you make for yourself in a week? i try to give myself a few hours a day.

I  In order to fight stress I....read, cook, sleep, write, listen to music

S  Is your child in SCHOOL? What grade and What type of program? yes. 2nd grade in a diversion of mainstream classroom. she spends part of the day in the SN class and the rest of the day in a NT environemnt with breaks for individual therapies and rest throughout the day

M  MY Favorite show is...parenthood and 90210 lol

smarieljlee
by Sara on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Quoting aidensmomma508:

She doesn't watch that much television. When she does she likes Power Rangers and Phineas and Ferb

U  Do you USE any special diets/ vitamins/ medications/ supplements with your child? 

Fish Oil and a high fat/preservitave free diet

I have the mornings, M-Th to my self.

Take a hot shower. Duck out for a breather. Go shopping alone

1st. She was in a reg. ed. setting. I pulled her and put her in an inclusion room.

Um...Ihave many.  I dont have one in particluar. I watch a lot of sci-fi.. walking dead/supernatural/being human.  Ooh I love How I met your mother. FAVE KID SHOW,  Phineas and Ferb

jigsaw ribbon

odie_driver
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:41 PM

My youngest is in love with "Little Einstien" and always has some sort of writing utensil in her hand - she loves to draw! My oldest has discovered that she likes computer games and is always asking/wanting/going on them. They're nice kid friendly games though, and she works her "chores" to earn quarters so she can "level up to a membership". Its actually been a great motivator for her!

No, although we do use methods to try to keep them varied in what they will eat - if not then they both digress to a white/limited diet of chicken nuggets with the batter stripped off them! Its a lot of work to keep them eating relatively in a "typical" fashion. 

"My time" is after 8 am for my morning coffee, after I get the oldest on the school bus, until about 9am if I'm lucky and then every evening after 8:30 or so once the girls are asleep. I almost never get a day where I am not looking after them though, so time officially "alone" is nonexistent. 

Play the Wii - we do Zumba and general fitness (I'd rather jog in my livingroom where people can't see me than out in public, besides that, its cold LOL!) In a particular instance when I'm feeling myself getting overwhelmed... I sing the #12 song from Sesame Street. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZshZp-cxKg

My oldest is in grade 1 in an integrated classroom with an IEP and an aide. My youngest is in preschool part time with an Autism Support Worker/Aide and in our Provincial Autism Intervention program sessions the rest of the time. 

Of all time? Firefly. Right this second? The IT Crowd. Yes. I'm a geek ;) 

aviatioNation
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM

A  What does your child with Autism ALWAYS watch/play? The Wiggles. He'd watch non stop if I let him! He also loves to play on the trampoline and dance. 

U  Do you USE any special diets/ vitamins/ medications/ supplements with your child? Nope.

T   How much TIME do you make for yourself in a week? The couple hours each night after he goes to bed before I do.

I  In order to fight stress I.... Write mostly. Play video games when I have the chance.

S  Is your child in SCHOOL? What grade and What type of program? No, we just moved so I haven't found a school for him yet. And we'll be moving again in July, anyway.

M  MY Favorite show is... House. So sad it's ending. :(

mom2zachy122
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:13 PM

A What does your child with Autism ALWAYS watch/play?

Trains, cars, Nick Jr, DVD of the moment (right now it's Snoopy)

U Do you USE any special diets/ vitamins/ medications/ supplements with your child?

DS currently takes:  multi-vit, Detrol (to control bladder spasms), Flonase, Claritin.  Waiting on surgery to remove tonsils/adenoids to relieve stress from sleep apnea on his heart and lungs, then add meds for neurological impulsivity and ADHD.

T How much TIME do you make for yourself in a week?

The kind of time that refreshes me?  Not much.  Sometimes, I try to take a quick nap when I get home before DH leaves for work.  But most days, DS won't leave me alone and DH doesn't want to get off the couch to keep him from bugging me.  Every 4 or 5 weeks, DH takes DS to visit my MIL.....that's usually "time for me" for a few hours.  Otherwise, it's surfing the web or crochet while I keep an eye on DS.  Well, if I'm not doing emergency laundry, cooking, washing dishes, setting up for tomorrow, work reports/plans, bathing/putting into pjs, etc.... 

I In order to fight stress I....

I really haven't figured that out yet....reading, crochet, a good cry, etc.  The thing that really "fills my tank" is time alone and I get very little of it and DS wears through it pretty quickly even when I do get it.  So, I'm often stressed :)

S Is your child in SCHOOL? What grade and What type of program?

DS is in Kindergarten; he currently receives pull-out special ed services in the a.m. and again in the afternoon.  He gets speech 1x/week.  His IEP is up in May and at that time, I expect they will recommend him for either full time Resource or self-contained. 

M MY Favorite show is

Honestly, I hardly ever watch tv at all anymore.  If I do, it's a few minutes of EWTN.  For DS, he likes mostly Nick Jr shows....that's sort of his functioning level at this point...older kid shows and old-time cartoons (Tom and Jerry, Spiderman, Super Heros, Sponge Bob, etc) don't really interest him.  He's gotten really hooked on Snoopy since Valentine's Day.  Before that, it was Cars 2.  Before that it was Thomas.  Before that it was Jay Jay.  He still really likes Maisy. 

Leobaby2007
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:44 PM

A What does your child with Autism ALWAYS watch/play?

Dora, Cars, Cars 2, Tom and Jerry

U Do you USE any special diets/ vitamins/ medications/ supplements with your child?

Nope.

T How much TIME do you make for yourself in a week?

Not a lot! I will get more time when he attends school for longer hours next school year. I plan to take more Zumba and Cardio Dance classes.

I In order to fight stress I....

Read a good book in my bubble bath! (Also, if I have the chance- a Zumba class)

S Is your child in SCHOOL? What grade and What type of program?

Yes, he is special needs preschool through our school district.

M MY Favorite show is...

Parenthood and The Big Bang Theory!

dandersen
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM

A- dd is always drawing or lining things up

U-we try to avoid artificial anything, but we arent terribly strict, and luckily she really likes healthy foods 

T-i get a 9-3 daycare/preschool day to do house tihngs and time for myself if i decide/remember to take it, lol

I-smoke an electronic cigarette (i had quit smoking 5 years ago, but the stress was really sucking so i tried this, it helps and its not bad for me! yay!) and i try to count to ten, if you can make yourself do it, remember to do it, it can help a lot too.

S-dd goes to a 5 star daycare/preschool program M-F 9-3, where she also recieves speech and OT up to 5 times a week.

M-my favorite show is the back of my eyelids...

DyerMaker
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

He is a HUGE fan of Yo Gabba Gabba, or lately, wheel of fortune. He plays with his electronic keyboard all of the time.

He drinks pedia sure daily, and takes a flinstones multivitamin. We tried a GFCF diet for a while, but the only thing it did for my kid was starve him. :(

HMMM, I can't really say I have any time for myself, but there HAS to be some time somewhere.

Cry. It may sound silly, but a good cry helps me cope. Sometimes I cry for no specific reason, but once I am done, I feel much better.

Currently, he is in Early Intervention and a NT Kids Day Out program. He will start PPCD in August next year.

The Voice right now....I also like Sons of Anarchy.

twins0506
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM
A  What does your child with Autism ALWAYS watch/play? They both like Fresh Beat Band, Yo Gabba Gabba and Blue's Clue's

U-  Do you USE any special diets/ vitamins/ medications/ supplements with your child? Yes, the GFCF diet 

T   How much TIME do you make for yourself in a week? Only when they are in school or asleep

I  In order to fight stress I.... Cry lol

Special needs preschool full time

M  MY Favorite show is...Friends and Big Bang Theory
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)