Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just an Introduction

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:15 PM
  • 8 Replies

I just wanted to start by introducing myself. My name is Sara and I am a mother of one living in Southern Cali. My son, Tristan is 7 years old. He was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome just a few months ago. It has been quite a journey these last couple of years. He was diagnosed with everything from ODD and Impulse Control Disorder, Bipolar, PDD, and possible Schizoaffective. Last November they finally settled on Asperger's after a battery of tests and hospitalizations. It has been very isolating. This is my way of reaching out and connecting to other mothers who have walked similar paths as I.

The issue my fiance and I are currently facing is that our son is running away at night. It is terrifying. We are unsure how many times he has left the house. But last Monday a neighbor brought him home. What a way to meet your neighbors! We have resorted to barricading the door at night. This doesn't create a very calming and inviting situation. I would like to use CafeMom to network with others and feel more connected.

Thanks for listening,

Sara

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ROGUEM
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Hello and welcome. My name is Michelle and I have 3 boys on the spectrum.  My oldest is 12 and has Aspergers and my twins are 8 with autism.  We are all so glad you joined.  This groups is very supportive and understanding.  I know you will enjoy it.  This is like happy therapy for me :)

May I ask what StarlingExpress means?

kickinit
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:04 AM

welcome to the group!  this has to be a very frightening problem.  I know some mothers use keyed dead bolts to keep their children safe.  they lock and unlock each and every time they go in and out.  very inconvenient...but for peace of mind i could totally understand.  we live rurally and have never had this problem.  we do lock a deadbolt at night...for sleepwalkers, but seriously never lock our doors during the day.  I feel for you!  you will find lots of women with this similar problem.  they will not hesitate to give you suggestions and reinforcement if you need it.  god bless

ROGUEM
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM

We have keyed deadbolts.  Is it inconvenint?  I really don't know because it has just become part of life.  I have a child who is severly speech delayed and does not answer to his name all the time.  I don't ever want to lose him.

Quoting kickinit:

welcome to the group!  this has to be a very frightening problem.  I know some mothers use keyed dead bolts to keep their children safe.  they lock and unlock each and every time they go in and out.  very inconvenient...but for peace of mind i could totally understand.  we live rurally and have never had this problem.  we do lock a deadbolt at night...for sleepwalkers, but seriously never lock our doors during the day.  I feel for you!  you will find lots of women with this similar problem.  they will not hesitate to give you suggestions and reinforcement if you need it.  god bless

millot310
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Nice to meet you.I am Amanda and I have 3 kids- 17 yr old daughter, 3 1/2 yr old son (autistic) and 2 1/2 yr old son (developmental apraxia). We have a keyed deadbolt to our main entrance/exit. I know I am going to have to change the other one soon as well, as he is beginning to notice it more. There are also key locks you can put on the windows so he cant open those either. I wish you luck! I am in So Cal as well. Near the San Fernando Valley- where are you?

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Hi Sara Welcome to the group!  

StarlingExpress
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Starling Express is the name of my business. My fiance's favorite bird is the starling.

StarlingExpress
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I am in the Valley too, in Reseda.

navyjen
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Hi and Welcome to the group!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)