Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

More on bullying

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM
  • 374 Replies
5 moms liked this

I just heard on the radio this morning that a school in Louisville has forbidden talking between classes because they noticed that's when the majority of bullying occurred. If kids are even caught saying hi to their friends between classes, they get detention. The incidence of bullying has gone down, but do you think this is too extreme? I can't imagine the silent hallways as kids trudge from class to class...

by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crimsonia
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM
25 moms liked this

There is another school which has banned any sort of student touching during transition between classes. If two friends happen to hug each other they get in trouble.

Supposedly it is intended to cut down on "sexual harrassment".

My personal opinion.... this entire world is just going insane and the schools are just as guilty of bullying as their students are. It's disgusting.

One school forbids talking between classes, another forbids touching, another school inspects their students lunches to make sure Mom is sending federally approved nutrition with her child, another school has suspended one of their janitorial staff for tying up and gagging four 10 y/o students and locking them in a school bathroom.

All 4 of these stories, I've heard or read about in the past 3 days. It's just INSANE!

mallowcup17
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM
5 moms liked this

thats terrible. :( i understand bullying is an issue but this is not a solution what happened to educating kids on these things? we had lots of workshops and programs all through my school years that addressed these issues and i can tell you there weren't a lot of instances of bullying by the time we got past junior high. i dont see this as being the right approach at all

navyjen
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:05 PM
10 moms liked this

I think that is a little extreme.  But I guess if bullying was a real issue there they did what they thought that had to in order to stop it.    DJ has been bullied in the past and it breaks my heart.   

irenesr1
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:49 PM
6 moms liked this

LOL that's funny! keeping kids quiet? yea right

Ultra_
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 12:19 AM
5 moms liked this

That's ridiculous. I wouldn't care if my kids got in trouble for hugging and talking. It goes against our beliefs. That alot of positive relationships can be strengthened by talking and hugging. How will they develop socially? This also doesn't stop them from doing it by txt and FB which is how I think it mostly happens. Sounds a tiny bit like N. Korea.

mlg1989
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 12:29 AM
28 moms liked this
Well better them silent than killing themselves over what a dbag teen said.
happymom629
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM
37 moms liked this

Honestly I think its a good idea if that's what it takes to cut down on bullying. 

If it prevents just one suicide, its worth it

Mom2Addison12
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Most schools don't allow the students to touch each other.

I used to get in trouble for hugging my now DF/DH

I remember going into school after missing a few weeks to clean my locker out, and he picked me up and hugged me. We both got in trouble.

Quoting Crimsonia:

There is another school which has banned any sort of student touching during transition between classes. If two friends happen to hug each other they get in trouble.

Supposedly it is intended to cut down on "sexual harrassment".

My personal opinion.... this entire world is just going insane and the schools are just as guilty of bullying as their students are. It's disgusting.

One school forbids talking between classes, another forbids touching, another school inspects their students lunches to make sure Mom is sending federally approved nutrition with her child, another school has suspended one of their janitorial staff for tying up and gagging four 10 y/o students and locking them in a school bathroom.

All 4 of these stories, I've heard or read about in the past 3 days. It's just INSANE!

Crazy_Daze
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 12:47 AM
11 moms liked this

I think it's just stupid. If a bully wants to be a bully, there are plenty of other ways to communicate this.

Mom2Addison12
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting Ultra_:

That's ridiculous. I wouldn't care if my kids got in trouble for hugging and talking. It goes against our beliefs. That alot of positive relationships can be strengthened by talking and hugging. How will they develop socially? This also doesn't stop them from doing it by txt and FB which is how I think it mostly happens. Sounds a tiny bit like N. Korea.

And they can also get in trouble if they have their phones or anything like it out during school hours.

So they will either A, learn to keep their mouths shut and follow the rules. Or B, learn how to be nice and polite.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN