Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I just heard on the radio this morning that a school in Louisville has forbidden talking between classes because they noticed that's when the majority of bullying occurred. If kids are even caught saying hi to their friends between classes, they get detention. The incidence of bullying has gone down, but do you think this is too extreme? I can't imagine the silent hallways as kids trudge from class to class...

by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Replies (11-20):
sweet_ashes2209
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM
3 moms liked this

I think thats a lazy way for schools to handle bullying.

mommyoffaith77
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I think thats a little extreme. But I feel as the teachers and school are not taking bullying seriously. They expect the kids to handle it now, which it so wrong. My 13 is getting harrassed by a former friend of hers whose threating her and getting in her face. I let the principle know and it seems as if they dont really care. The funny thing about this is that it was started by a teacher of thiers that pointed out loud that my daughter had a contagious disease, which she doesnt, all the kids started teashing her and her former friend also did too. The teacher then told the class after the fact that i called the school that my daughter didnt have it. But too late the damage was done now my daughter is dealing with bullying brought by a teacher.

SnowMaiden13
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 1:42 AM
1 mom liked this

i went to a catholic elementary school, it was one of the rules there too, it was creepy

Jackie3223
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 2:13 AM
I think that is a little extreme. But I guess if bullying was a real issue there they did what they thought that had to in order to stop it. DJ has been bullied in the past and it breaks my heart.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 2:25 AM
1 mom liked this

That is way too far. 

i believe a certian amount of bullying is needed in a teens life. 

wrapping our teens in a bubble will in NO way prepare them for adulthood. 

Blue_Spiral
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 2:27 AM
5 moms liked this

The cure for bullying happens at home.

There are enough social restrictions within school, and I think they are already too much. It's important for kids to have that time between classes. It's truly inhumane to deny them that.

We need to take a look at our values as a society, and our parenting as a whole, in order to cure the epidemic of bullying.

motherslove82
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 2:55 AM
15 moms liked this

I think that if teachers and faculty can take the time to make sure no one talks in the halls, then they can monitor the halls to prevent bullying.

WhyIstheworld
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 4:57 AM
2 moms liked this

you might as well homeschool if the kids arent allowed interract at school anymore

winterglow
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 5:13 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think it was extreme at all. When I was at school, we were expected to move from one class to another quietly and efficiently. Anyone not doing so would get detention. It was a question of safety (nobody ever fell, got pushed, squashed in the stairs, etc.). I don't think kids NEED to be rowdy in the corridors - after all, that's what break time/playtime,/etc. are for, aren't they? So if it reduces bullying as well then that can only be a good thing in my book.

Amber9764
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 6:23 AM
I think that is a little extreme. But I guess if bullying was a real issue there they did what they thought that had to in order to stop it. DJ has been bullied in the past and it breaks my heart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)