Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

When do I do something about toe walking...*edit*.

Posted by   + Show Post
*edit*
Sorry I didn't make it very clear what my question is.... We know my son is autistic. We are just waiting on an evaluation. I'm just wondering how long they can walk on their toes like he does before he starts to develops problems? He toe walks all day long and rarely walks flat footed.

My son does not have a dx yet. He's 25 months & toe walks all the time, even with shoes on. I'm not really sure how long its been going on as I was blind to it until about 2 weeks ago.

When do I worry about how this is negatively affecting his feet, tendons, etc? I was reading about how some kids need surgery to correct problems from this. I just noticed the other day that he has deep splits under each pinky toe from toe walking so much lately. They are still open and I'm washing them and putting peroxide on them but i worry it will get infected if it can't heal.

Should I talk to the Dr about this? Do they have braces to keep him from toe walking?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 1:54 AM
Replies (21-26):
greenmommo
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM
We see the ortho Tues for my undisgnosed DS for toe walking. She was concerned that his muscles were too tight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MentorMom1
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I'll bet you are really worried.  I know there are excellent healing salves - like calendula and golden seal - at the health food store.  An herbalist would be able to make a recommendation.

Also, now they make inverse gravity soles (I think that's what they call them.) They  put the foot in a more natural position, with the weight in the back of the foot. I have some cute clogs of that type that feel great. Wonder if they'd be helpful.

magickbaby
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Wow I never knew toe walking was common with ASD. My daughter started doing it about a year ago. That is good to know. She doesn't seem to complain of leg cramps or aches, so I guess I will just keep an eye out for any problems and I will bring it up at the next pedi appt. Thanks :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
odie_driver
by Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I would show him a game of you walking on your flat feet and walking on your toes, saying "Flat feet" and "Toes!!" (make sure you're really loud and excited when you play this game and keep yourself really animated). See if he copies you. Just keep doing it and doing it and make it look really fun. 

Once he starts to copy you, keep doing the game - then he will learn what flat feet and toe walking is, and when you say "Flat feet" he'll know how to put his feet. My youngest started learning through methods like these before she was 2. It takes a lot of time and energy though!

Good luck!

Also, I think they do have braces for issues like this. Be sure to ask your pediatrician if its something you'd like to look into. 

Quoting jconney80:

Thats a good idea. Hopefully we will be able to do that when he's older. He won't understand now

Quoting odie_driver:

My kids are a little older, at 4 and 7, but are notorious toe walkers and have been for as long as I can remember. The pediatrician watches them to make sure their  tendons don't need special shoes or whatnot, but we also help to curb this (since it is a health issue with their legs and feet) by reminding them, when we notice them toe walking, to use their "walking feet" which is something that we taught them to mean "flat feet and not running". When we were teaching them this, we gave them lots of praise for using their "walking feet". 

It is a very common and signifigant sign of autism though, so defintely keep pushing to have him evaluated. 

valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:16 PM
I have been looking for the bosu too. here in Canada cheapest I found is 120 plus shipping so even 50 us sounds good . I do a sensory diet with my son my goal is to keep him regulated I find the extreme toe walking & jumping is more when he watches certain tv shows . I offer him a ton of jumping, crashing ect.
mandiNthomas
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Idk about toe walking but my 3 1/2 yr old turns his toes in sometimes when he walks up and down steps mostly ot suggested braces and pt...good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)