Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When do I do something about toe walking...*edit*.

Posted by   + Show Post
*edit*
Sorry I didn't make it very clear what my question is.... We know my son is autistic. We are just waiting on an evaluation. I'm just wondering how long they can walk on their toes like he does before he starts to develops problems? He toe walks all day long and rarely walks flat footed.

My son does not have a dx yet. He's 25 months & toe walks all the time, even with shoes on. I'm not really sure how long its been going on as I was blind to it until about 2 weeks ago.

When do I worry about how this is negatively affecting his feet, tendons, etc? I was reading about how some kids need surgery to correct problems from this. I just noticed the other day that he has deep splits under each pinky toe from toe walking so much lately. They are still open and I'm washing them and putting peroxide on them but i worry it will get infected if it can't heal.

Should I talk to the Dr about this? Do they have braces to keep him from toe walking?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 1:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
twins0506
by Holly on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM
My boys started therapy at 18 months and are now 3.5. They used to toe walk but don't anymore. The physical therapy has really helped them. Definitely tell them about his toe walking so he can get PT for that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ROGUEM
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:45 AM

If your child sees a PT that is the best place to start.  They will do an evaluation on his strength, walking, pronation, etc.

My son is 8 and is having to wear a brace to help with his pronation and to stretch his heel cords. I hope this will eliminate surgury for the future.

The orthodist told me that about 70% of his patients stop walking on their toes after they wear the braces.  So I hope we are in the 70%.

You can PM me about this if you have questions.  All I can recommend is have it checked out then monitored about once to twice a year.

Christa4924
by Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Quoting suziler:

My child not on the spectrum toe walks and my child on the spectrum does not. How about those apples?

Mine too!  Isn't that weird?

Iksa
by Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 5:14 PM

My son has been toe walking before he was dx and he still does, but sometimes he walks with his feet flat

KickButtMama
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 5:57 PM
My Aspie toe walked until he was about 3, now at 10 he does it a few times a day. To keep from cramping muscles i would have him lay on his back and i would stretch his calf & foot. He loves it!

We also have a BOSU Balance trainer (i am a personal trainer tht specializes in people w/ medical comlications) this s helped him develop alance & encouraged him to remain flat footed. You can et them at Walmart fr like $49

*sorry for typos, stupid ipad*
valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 6:04 PM
My son is 5 we just got a refere to the Nero motor clinic but we go to physio wkly to work on development the back of his legs are tight The neurologist said she thinks he made need Little braces in his shoe to prevent the toe walking.
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM
I'm wondering if my son will need them. He's still young but he really does it all day and he never stops moving. I'm going to try to get rid of yeast first and see if that helps. I swear it got really bad after he took his first antibiotic ever. But I could have just been blind to it before that.

Quoting valleymomma1:

My son is 5 we just got a refere to the Nero motor clinic but we go to physio wkly to work on development the back of his legs are tight The neurologist said she thinks he made need Little braces in his shoe to prevent the toe walking.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Good idea! I'll have to do this! Ill look into that balance trainer. Thanks for the suggestions

Quoting KickButtMama:

My Aspie toe walked until he was about 3, now at 10 he does it a few times a day. To keep from cramping muscles i would have him lay on his back and i would stretch his calf & foot. He loves it!

We also have a BOSU Balance trainer (i am a personal trainer tht specializes in people w/ medical comlications) this s helped him develop alance & encouraged him to remain flat footed. You can et them at Walmart fr like $49

*sorry for typos, stupid ipad*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:04 PM
He doesn't have one yet. We have an EI eval in two weeks

Quoting ROGUEM:

If your child sees a PT that is the best place to start.  They will do an evaluation on his strength, walking, pronation, etc.

My son is 8 and is having to wear a brace to help with his pronation and to stretch his heel cords. I hope this will eliminate surgury for the future.

The orthodist told me that about 70% of his patients stop walking on their toes after they wear the braces.  So I hope we are in the 70%.

You can PM me about this if you have questions.  All I can recommend is have it checked out then monitored about once to twice a year.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Thats a good idea. Hopefully we will be able to do that when he's older. He won't understand now

Quoting odie_driver:

My kids are a little older, at 4 and 7, but are notorious toe walkers and have been for as long as I can remember. The pediatrician watches them to make sure their  tendons don't need special shoes or whatnot, but we also help to curb this (since it is a health issue with their legs and feet) by reminding them, when we notice them toe walking, to use their "walking feet" which is something that we taught them to mean "flat feet and not running". When we were teaching them this, we gave them lots of praise for using their "walking feet". 

It is a very common and signifigant sign of autism though, so defintely keep pushing to have him evaluated. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)