Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son's tee ball coach almost made me cry

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is WAY behind the rest of the kids in tee ball.  He has the shortest throw, puts his glove on his wrong hand, and has to be corrected on how to hold the bat each and every time.  

His coach lined the kids up and measured each of their throws on Saturday.  Great, I thought.  Here we go again.  Let's focus on the strong kids and leave my son with a "oh well, maybe next year" only letting him play because you have to.  But that didn't happen.  

He took the kids who could throw the furthest and set them up catching and throwing with one of his other "coaches" (he has named 4 of the dads his assistant coaches).  Did the same all of the way down.  Then he personally took my son aside and spent the ENTIRE 1 1/2 hour practice working one on one with my son!

My son was in a BAD mood.  He was flinging around, not really doing his best.  But he was patient and he kept trying.  They only quit because it started to rain.

Afterwards the coach came to me.  Great, here it comes.  The "maybe next year" "are you sure he wants to do this?" "maybe another sport would suit him better?" Nope, not from him.  He came to me and he said "your son is a very special boy.  He may have the shortest throw and need the most help but I can see a passion in him that can take him to greatness.  The kids who start on top don't always end that way because they've never had to work for it so they continue not to work for it.  But your son, he will have to work for it.  And because of that he will always work for it.  That is what leads you to the top."  Then he showed me exactly how to help him practice at home.

Just thinking about it makes me want to cry all over again.  For someone to finally not just ignore my son as "the incapable one" and just leave him out is amazing.  We are still seeking a diagnosis so they know nothing about his possible autism.  He is teaching my son how to do everything just the right way.  The throw they use in the majors.  The proper way to hold a bat.  Not just the "kid friendly" way that a lot of coaches teach saying they can learn the next step later but the full out step, and while stepping with the other foot (to the point where your feet are even and not beyond) bring your arm forward flicking your wrist as you let go.  And he teaches it in steps the kids can truly understand.

It's so nice to see a coach support my son and treat him like he is part of the team.  I'm so thankful for his coach.

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Replies (31-40):
mightymo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM

should be more like that coach,so many don't take tthe time

Jules4jess
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 8:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Thanks, I needed some of these posts this morning.  Between "pulling the B#$%* card" and this post it makes me realize how I'm meant to work with Autistic children.  I don't have one, I have 9 at school.  I admire you parents you have it 24/7.  I only have it 8 hours a day.  It makes me more aware of my conversations (or should I say tone of voice) with my 12 yo dd.

You all are truly awesome!

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Crying here too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RochelleFS
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:04 AM
That's really amazing! Made me tear up too. That must have been wonderful for you both after the crazy hectic month you've all had. People like that can truly make a difference. I wish there were more!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marisab
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:13 AM

cryingits always good when good people are there angel

AliIzzyMom
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:14 AM
From the mother of a little girl with autism.....you left me in tears this morning. So happy for your little boy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lesliemom2mzjm
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM

awww, how sweet...what an awesome coach!  I would get him something special at the end of the season.  We've had really good coaches a couple of awesome coaches and only one year, bad coaches.  That's wonderful that you got someone so patient and caring.  I hope you guys have an awesome year in t-ball!

JasonsMom2007
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
He has managed to almost double the distance my son can throw a ball!! I'm so proud
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by Jackie on Mar. 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Nice to see a man take a special interest.  But then my funny bone goes off...just be careful.  I am not saying the coach woudl do anything, but just keep an eye. 

JasonsMom2007
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM

He always works with the kids at the bottom it seems.  My son was actually moved up to the better thrower group yesterday!  He said he has the form down, now he just needs to practice and get strength behind it.  He moved one of the kids down who can throw far but his form sucks.

Quoting Hottubgodess:

Nice to see a man take a special interest.  But then my funny bone goes off...just be careful.  I am not saying the coach woudl do anything, but just keep an eye. 

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)