Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Picture Therapy...

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 8:44 AM
  • 8 Replies

Ok so my son's therapist (she is not a communication therapist) came to me and suggested that I started doing something called pecks or specks am not sure. But its basically sitting behind the child and someone sitting in front of him and then holding an object that the child wants, but the child needs to give you the picture, at first is automatic, basically the person behind the child just grabs the childs hand and makes him pick up the pic and give it to the other person in front.... Its a source of communication with pics but its automatic until the child learns to identify the pic with the object...

My son has a source of communication, if he needs or wants something he will let you know by grabbing your hand and taking you to the object, or I show him an object and he already knows what to do or what it means. I don't like the picture therapy she suggested, to me is like going 3 steps back. I can get him to give me the pics and learn the pics but to give it to me automatically like a robot no, i can't get him to do that. My son KNOWS and recognizes pictures and objects, i just got an evaluation from his pre-k class confirming that he does put one and two together... so why would I go back and MAKE him do this things when he is already doing it in his own time and naturally??? 

Just this morning I turned off the air conditioner because it was cold, and I took of his tank top (he pees on the bed) and I was going to put a long sleve shirt, and he did not want to so he picked up the tank top and gave it to me... meaning... he wanted a tank top not another shirt. So he does communicate but you have to pay attention.

My worry, this is the first time I am refusing one of her suggestions and I don't want to come on as a negative parent or a parent who is resistant, I just don't agree with that.

"Don't underestimate persons with autism, try to understand"

http://ariasautism-livingwithautism.blogspot.com/

by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
GetTheDuctTape
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 8:51 AM

My guess is she is concerned about him being able to communicate with others? As moms we know our kids' language, but park of daily living schools is being able to adapt in the community.

PECS is actually pretty neat and has other uses. My son is verbal, but we use PECS to make visual schedules, chore charts, etc.

Alma4Mom
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM

The developmental therapist suggested the pecs program when he was diagnosed with autism at almost 2 1/2 yrs old.  My son's speech therapist did not want to do it.  Recently I put a post about these 2 guys that went to my son's program here is a part of my post I know it is hard to try new things and does my son remember the word yes he babbled ball yesterday but eventually as i continue he will do better and hopefully become verbal.  I as yourself follow him around and we can kinda guess what he wants he also pushes us to do things for him or hands me a boot  so i can put it on nobody says they are dumb they are just different in how they express themselves but they need our help if anything since learning that word his selfesteem seems so much better yes from one second to the next he seems happier and so much more affectionate as if he connects better with me and has hope and this with only one word.... If you have any issues feel free to message me!

I am so thankful because the speech therapist has been hesitant to try the PECS Program suggested by the Developmental Pediatrician.  But God sent these 2 awesome dudes dressed in their St. Patty's gear =) to help out my son. In 1 hour he learned the word ball :'') I am so blessed and excited the meltdown tears and heartache had me on the verge of a breakdown myself even the student admitted it was hard to see him in that state but "HE LEARNED A WORD IN AN HOUR AND RECOGNIZED THE PICTURE" it sorta reminded me of the book Helen Keller but he did it.
Cubanmom84
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 9:20 AM

You know before the therapist and doctors I had to find a way to communicate with my son, so did it with objects, not pictures. I show him an object and what to do with it and he knows, he shows me an object and I know. Its pretty clear, his previous pre-k teacher did agree with me, Alex doesn't learn with pics he learns with objects, its easier for him and a lot more efficient and straight to the point I think. They totally want to set him back two years, and I think his progressing just fine.

Quoting Alma4Mom:

The developmental therapist suggested the pecs program when he was diagnosed with autism at almost 2 1/2 yrs old.  My son's speech therapist did not want to do it.  Recently I put a post about these 2 guys that went to my son's program here is a part of my post I know it is hard to try new things and does my son remember the word yes he babbled ball yesterday but eventually as i continue he will do better and hopefully become verbal.  I as yourself follow him around and we can kinda guess what he wants he also pushes us to do things for him or hands me a boot  so i can put it on nobody says they are dumb they are just different in how they express themselves but they need our help if anything since learning that word his selfesteem seems so much better yes from one second to the next he seems happier and so much more affectionate as if he connects better with me and has hope and this with only one word.... If you have any issues feel free to message me!

I am so thankful because the speech therapist has been hesitant to try the PECS Program suggested by the Developmental Pediatrician.  But God sent these 2 awesome dudes dressed in their St. Patty's gear =) to help out my son. In 1 hour he learned the word ball :'') I am so blessed and excited the meltdown tears and heartache had me on the verge of a breakdown myself even the student admitted it was hard to see him in that state but "HE LEARNED A WORD IN AN HOUR AND RECOGNIZED THE PICTURE" it sorta reminded me of the book Helen Keller but he did it.

"Don't underestimate persons with autism, try to understand"

http://ariasautism-livingwithautism.blogspot.com/

marisab
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM

but does he communicate this way with others this way !!my sioon also communicates well with me this way but not school and this is the best way for school to teach because someone else may not understand like you and pecs is the easiest most uniform waya nd its not really being a robot tho it seems that way

twins0506
by Holly on Mar. 20, 2012 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I see what you're saying. But the pecs is good for other things. Like if he wants juice in the fridge or when he has to go to the bathroom he gives you the picture of the toilet. TECHICALLY, him grabbing your hand is not an official way of communicating ALTHOUGH it is a very very great step! Also, the pecs leads to words. Because the part that someone sits behind him is phase 1. Then it turns into just 1 person which is phase 2. Then you try to get him to hand you the picture of say juice. And he says juice as he's handing you the picture. So in the long run it will help him talk. Its helping my son. He's doing it right now and he's starting to say a few words.

However, you are the mother and you have the right to tell her you don't want to do it. Nothing wrong with that :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alma4Mom
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM

At this point I will try anything because he will be in school soon and well I really need him to be able to communicate to me what he needs I have other kids that are missing out on my attention. My son does not call me Mom yet and the fact that he learned the word ball in one day is huge for me we can probably get thru life with him just showing me objects however i am not sure how this will help him if he ever comes across a not so patient teacher mentor etc... i am Mommy but one day Mommy will not be here and it is a step forward for me not back and the concept of the picture makes sense to me as a side by side tool both are balls if he wants the ball he either give you the pic of the ball or says ball and eventually saying ball should be easier then handing the picture either way i hope it all works out for our babies/kids...

Quoting Cubanmom84:

You know before the therapist and doctors I had to find a way to communicate with my son, so did it with objects, not pictures. I show him an object and what to do with it and he knows, he shows me an object and I know. Its pretty clear, his previous pre-k teacher did agree with me, Alex doesn't learn with pics he learns with objects, its easier for him and a lot more efficient and straight to the point I think. They totally want to set him back two years, and I think his progressing just fine.

Quoting Alma4Mom:

Alma4Mom
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Your doing the pecs program also yaya sorry I just started and am too excited it has given me extra hope =) all our kids rock! Woohoo! Okay I am a bit excited lol!

Quoting twins0506:

I see what you're saying. But the pecs is good for other things. Like if he wants juice in the fridge or when he has to go to the bathroom he gives you the picture of the toilet. TECHICALLY, him grabbing your hand is not an official way of communicating ALTHOUGH it is a very very great step! Also, the pecs leads to words. Because the part that someone sits behind him is phase 1. Then it turns into just 1 person which is phase 2. Then you try to get him to hand you the picture of say juice. And he says juice as he's handing you the picture. So in the long run it will help him talk. Its helping my son. He's doing it right now and he's starting to say a few words.

However, you are the mother and you have the right to tell her you don't want to do it. Nothing wrong with that :)

momtoscott
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I think you should try the picture therapy.  It is a way for your son to start to learn to communicate using abstractions--pictures or words--rather than just concrete gestures.  It is great that your son has learned to use touch to gain attention and to bring you to objects or objects to you.  That is a great first step.  But the ability to associate a want or need with a picture is actually a step closer to communicating the same thing using words, and that's why people do this therapy.  It may not work for your child, but it is really worthwhile to try. 

I remember in Early Intervention, it would frustrate me when my son would clearly want, say, cookies for his snack, and he would reach for them or point at them, but the teacher wouldn't give them to him until he asked for them using sign, pictures, or eventually words.  However, this kind of training was very helpful in making my son understand how to communicate with people in general, not just me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)