Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What have you learned on your ASD journey?

Posted by   + Show Post

Is there something you learned along your ASD journey that you wish you knew sooner? Now’s your chance to share it!  

Tell us what YOU think every mom with a child on the spectrum needs to know – and you could win a $50 gift card!

jigsaw ribbon

The more times you reply, the better your chances of winning! So be sure to share your best advice – one post at a time – below.

Contest rules:

• The Autism: Support Across the Spectrum contest starts 3/30/12 at 11am (ET) and ends 4/30/2012 at 11:59pm (ET) (the "Contest Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Contest Period. 
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. 
  • One (1) winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive $50 gift card to Target, Walmart or Amazon.com.  
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 4/30/12.

*No Purchase Necessary. Open to US residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.

by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Replies (151-160):
apple612
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I have learned that you need a lot of patience, which I did not have early on.  I would not change anything about my daughter. I love her and accept her the way she is. She is extremely loving, kind, hard working and always willing to help others. God has given her many special gifts.

Crocopooh
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I wish I had learned this earlier.  Just because you know/learn that with an ASD kid  you must explain things in simple terms for them to understand what you want them to do  I wish I had also learned that you must do this REPEATEDLY, OVER AND OVER!!!!  You explain it in simple words or short sentences, they get it and do it.  but 5 minutes later, you MUST explain it simply again if you need it repeated.   REPETITIION is necessary.  I wish I had learned that earlier.  They are not stupid, it just takes a lot of practice to remember the steps to do something.

Crocopooh
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I have learned that it is okay not to be early--or even on time for a lot of things.  Still stresses me out but I am learning.

shell3m
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I've learned that even though I mourn the child Dean used to be, I'm proud of the child he is now and I know I'll be proud of the man he will become.  I love my son through everything life throws at us.

NatureMomof3
by Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Believe it or not, our whole family is getting healthier because of the ASD journy of our little scientist. We decided to try the GFCF diet along with nutritional supplements for him and that the best way to implement it was for us all to do it. We all began to feel better and going this route, we have discovered we all needed help. We are controlling digestive problems, anxiety, and arthritis all through the "autism" diet. Thank you autism diet! We have also become very close to our OT (she rocks!!!) and she helped us identify an ocular motor problem in our daughter that explains all of her reading troubles which the public school (that we no longer attend) told us was ADD. The ASD journey has made us all more attentive to our health and much better informed and it is so surprising to say that after one year of therapy (diet, nutrition, ABA, OT)  we are all in such a better place.

JuliaRobine
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Accept your child the way he/she is and always be patient. Try to put yourself in their world and guide them the best you as a parent can. The best advice I can give is do your research, don't take no for an answer and always get a second opinion. 

DyerMaker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Just when you think all hope is lost, or nothing is working, out of the blue, a small miracle will happen, and then that miracle will turn into another miracle and grow from there. It is so hard when you feel like giving up, but when you have faith in yourself AND in your child, the journey is much easier.

ceci420
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I learned to laugh at the little things 

riri732
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:39 PM
I have learned to look at the world in a whole new light. I have a true appreciation for the fact that all people are different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinandjohnny
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Wow, where to start. First, I was told I couldn't have any kids in my 20s due to a ovary cyst that lead to removal of it. So having my son with only 1 ovary is a blessing in itself.  When he was 1 I kept telling the Dr. somethings wrong but they never listened to me.  He is 3.5 now and just got diag. in January. Deep down I knew so yes it was very hard but I think I was just ready. What I love most about my son is the unconditional love. I can be upset thinking about all of this an I watch him start laughing over nothing. Its not just a laugh its a pee your pants kinda laugh. He seems to do this about everyday which is really what has made this so much easier. His Dad an I live in the same house but have separate rooms so my son can see his daddy. But I get no help from him at all. None. I can't even run to get coffee by myself. I have been a 24/7 mom an I tell him I need a break yet I never get it. Plus he refuses to admit that there is something wrong with our son even when I tried to get him to read the Dr. report about the diag. When I sit an watch my son I thank God everyday because he has brought nothing but love, smiles and happiness to my heart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)