Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What have you learned on your ASD journey?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 192 Replies
2 moms liked this

Is there something you learned along your ASD journey that you wish you knew sooner? Now’s your chance to share it!  

Tell us what YOU think every mom with a child on the spectrum needs to know – and you could win a $50 gift card!

jigsaw ribbon

The more times you reply, the better your chances of winning! So be sure to share your best advice – one post at a time – below.

Contest rules:

• The Autism: Support Across the Spectrum contest starts 3/30/12 at 11am (ET) and ends 4/30/2012 at 11:59pm (ET) (the "Contest Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Contest Period. 
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. 
  • One (1) winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive $50 gift card to Target, Walmart or Amazon.com.  
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 4/30/12.

*No Purchase Necessary. Open to US residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.

by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marisab
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM

THE BIGGEST THING I LEARNED SO FAR WAS TO BE PATIENT EVERY KID IS DIFFERENT AND THEY ALL LERARN DIFFERENT!

culinaryqueen
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM

First and foremost that if a child receives the dx of Autism THAT IT IS OK,  DO NOT FEAR IT, once a child receives the dx based on the individual needs as a parent we learn how to educate ourselves on our child's needs we watch and we are more observant of numerous things that our child may or may not do, I also say as Mothers we have a mother's instinct that if we take the time to listen it will not steer us in the wrong direction..  As a parent of a child with Autism I have learned that the process of helping our child does not come over night it is a long and ongoing journey but thru my journey when I see progress it can  be small or somewhat big then I know that I am on the right track.

mom2baq
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I didn't think I could love my son any more than I already did.  I learned that him having special needs made me love him a thousand times more.

mom2baq
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I learned how much patience I have.  And I learned that no matter how much patience I have it never seems to be enough but when my DS smiles at me I realize it's plenty.

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Ive learned to enjoy the small things in life. every little thing is a big deal to celebrate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apple1
by Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM

To take risks, no matter what the cost, because it may be what your child needs to have the best life he or she can...sure it may be scary trying a new medicine,supplement, or new diet.... but it may be something that changes your child's life forever....for the better. 

nicksmom217
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

when your child is little and you  see, his development is behind other kids, the pediatrician, says, nothing wrong, listen to your instinct. to have child with dx, you need to be very patient, to forget about your expectations, not to worry what other people think. use your imagination, about raising your child and to try anything, out side  of your believes or what some professional tells you. that a child with autism, at least my son, is very observant and good judge of people and to listen to him. when some one tells you, your child is spoiled, that is there ignorance talking. to believe, that our child 'can', instate of limiting his abilities. to explore his interests, they will develop there skills with that and hopefully have a job.to never lose hope. to try hard not to lose your self, because with dx, life will never be the same and to have support.

mallowcup17
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

that not everything will be easy but to keep up the good fight. in the end you are the only advocate for your child...

huggable35
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:19 PM

What I have learned so far is life is not about you anymore and many people take for granted that there child is healthy until you find yourself with a secial needs child, I have learned so much and at times it breaks you I ask myself why my son what did he do to deserve this but then I say this is his path in life and I was chosen t be his mom for a reason so it has been my number one priority to make sure my sone get everything therapy out there he needs to fight this . I have learned that family is very important in this fight it is not easy and family plays a big support in this experience. I learned dont let one persons answer be the only answer get all the opinions you can 1,2,3 so forth, Ive learned to love harder then i could ever imagine and I am his everything and he needs me to make everything right so I fight everyday for him to make sure he will live a long healthy normal life. Ive learned so much in this 7 month journey and will only continue to learn from this but you gotta keep your head up even when you feel like you cant becaue these children need us to not give up and I wont....

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Mar. 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I've learned alot from my son but most of all I've learned to have patience! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)