Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Write a letter to your ASD kid in honor of Autism Awareness Month

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM
  • 52 Replies
8 moms liked this

It's not always easy to express our feelings in spoken words -- so we're writing letters to our ASD kids!

writing

When your child is on the spectrum, life can be a rollercoaster. Hop off the ride for a moment and take some time to share how you feel.

This letter doesn’t have to go any further than the safety of CafeMom’s walls, so feel free to let all your emotions flow -- the joys AND the frustrations. Or, if you’d prefer, sit down and read it to your child, or share it on Facebook -- or other groups on CafeMom -- to help spread awareness.

jigsaw ribbon

Not sure how to start? Why not take a minute to reflect on the lessons your ASD child has taught you, then start your letter by thanking them?

by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marisab
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM
3 moms liked this

Dear Johny,

i love that you are mine all mine.and sometimes i get frustrated when you cant do things like the other kids as simple as asking for what you wanta nd other days you can.this journey with you has benn an ever changing rollercoaster of events that i wish had been easier but i wouldnt change for all the tea in china and all the crumpets in england.

I love your ways!i love the smart thing you do with cars and computers and how loving you are with your sissy!!never change dear johny!!

mama and palpa well always love you

love mama

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Dear Hayden,
I know it can be very frustrating not being able to communicate which makes u want to hit pple. u cant do that. u need to get ur PECs and sign and if u talk at school u need to talk here.
i love u very much regardless of whether u hit or not. tho id love it if u didnt. i have great dreams for u and hope u can accomplish them all. i dont believe in any restrictions for u. u can do it all.
love,
mommy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saltycoqui
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

That's an awesome idea. I have often thought of writting letters to my kids in the (God forbid) event that something should happend to me. My kids can read pretty well. So I think I'll do this, but I will actually give it to them personally. One just had a bday and the other will soon. What better way to tell them how proud I am of them! Thanks!

Krystal.Ingalls
by Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 6:02 PM
13 moms liked this

Dear Brandon,

I am proud of the young man you are becoming.  You are only 4 years old, but you have overcome challenges most adults can't even imagine.  You are an amazing son and an amazing big brother.  I'm so proud you have ventured out of your comfort zone and you are trying new things little by little.  The 1st time you spoke a complete sentence, the 1st time you climbed all the way up the swing set with no help, and the 1st time you hugged your little sister with no prompting I cried.  Not because I was sad, but because I was so happy you could prove the doctors wrong.  The doctor who said you may never be able to talk was wrong.  The therapist who said you would have to endure hours of therapy to be able to climb was wrong...you graduated out of that therapy after only a couple months.  All the people who say autistic people are not affectionate are wrong.  Don't let anyone ever tell you "You can't."  Because you have proved you can.

Love, 

Mommy

christibearb
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 6:45 PM
2 moms liked this

My dearest Josie,

I am so amazed at how far you have come in the last seven years. From the time when a caring teacher at your daycare expressed her concerns, to all the failures in therapy, I knew a day like today would come. It hasn't been easy being your mommy, but I wouldn't change anything. Now, when you go anywhere and meet people, not a single one of them notices anything different about you. You have worked so hard for so long to get to this point and I am very proud of you. The only people who know you have Asperger's are your family, close family friends and your wonderful teacher. You have challenged me to be a better person and you have help your sisters rise above caring for themselves and learn how to care for someone as special as you.

For all the joy and love you have brought into my life, I love and thank you.

Love always,

Mommy

maciymommieof3
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I love you my Dominic-

I think to myself everyday, just how lucky I am to have you. You know there are times mommie gets mad at you....and I am sorry...there are times I just can't handle "all of it"  and when you and Carly get going....it gets mommie going...I just want to tell you that I love you....

Your mommie

angie

eliptica24
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I love my son who is on the spectrum, very much. I am grateful that he is high functioning with very little behavioral issues that any five year old would have. I am lucky to see how quickly he has progressed since he was diagnosed before the age of 2. It is hard to wonder about the future and to wonder if he will be "normal" like other kids at some point where he drives, lives alone, does "normal" social activities. I worry about him making friends and becoming too dependant on us as he grows up. I want as smooth a ride for him as possible. I love him regardless.

shell3m
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 11:27 PM
7 moms liked this

Dear Dean,

Our journey together has not be easy, nor fair at times but you will always amaze me everyday.  When you were younger things were different, you were different and then at 2 our lives changed forever.  You were effected the most.  Gone were your words, and your attention.  Instead a lost child stood in front of me and I had no idea what to do with you.  Autism?  what's that?  what do I do with that?  but I looked at you staring off into space and knew that I had to find answers for you, for you to have a future.  What a road that took us on in the most delightful way. 

How we were in the beginning is light years away from how you are now and I'm so proud of you.  You went from not talking at all to knowing English AND Spanish.  TWO languages!  How amazing my son is.  :)  I remember when we made that poster board for you and taught you how to point to what you wanted and you were so excited to be-able to communicate that you flapped your arms and I cried because FINALLY we would understand each other.  We did this for what Dora DVD you wanted to watch too and I ran to put in it. 

Then it was time for school.  How would you act?  would the other kids like you?  would you learn?  would you learn enough to be on your own?  Would you like school?  Would it be too much?  Would this help in you becoming your own man?  I had tons of questions out of love and now answers yet but I took a deep breath and enrolled you. 

Paperwork, my son, was my life for YEARS and at times I felt like I was back in school taking tests...lol   :)   but it was to help you, to help you get the program you needed so I sat for hour after hour, week after week, YEAR after year filling in those bubbles they asked and talking to everyone who needed me to. :)

You have just amazed me with what you have learned from school.  I went from having so many questions to seeing how much good it did for you.  I'm so proud of you. You live in your own world still but you know we are there, I love you more than words could ever say and I'm so proud of my baby boy.  My firstborn son,  my Dean.

This is what I'm most proud of:

You life in a world that is your own mind but you make yourself heard in a world that doesn't like different, they are afraid of what they don't understand.  We force you to live to what we think is "normal" and you do your best.  You have ALWAYS done your best to do what others' wanted you do, even when it wasn't easier.  I know you would rather have no rules and have no one pulling you out of your world, I know you would love to stay in your own head BUT you don't.  You do what we ask and you are doing it better than most kids your age.  You're intelligence is amazing to me.  You amaze me at whatever you do.  Brushing teeth, dressing yourself, putting on shoes, telling me what you want to eat.  Things I would have NEVER thought possible when you were younger and now look at you!  :)  AMAZING!   I could type all night long and still never be able to express how proud of you I am.  

I love you Dean.  Mommy is so very proud and HONORED to say my son's name is Dean and kicking butt and taking names.......not only in just the Autistic world but in OUR "normal" world too.  I love you more than words can ever say.  The day you were born was a blessing to me.  I love you Dean Allan Mount.  You will always be a part of me and you will always live inside of my heart.  Even when you are 50 and have grand kids of your own, you will always be my little boy that, everyday, shakes the world  up.

I LOVE YOU DEAN!  ((hugs)) 

MyLoveForEvan
by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 4:25 AM
4 moms liked this

Dear Evan,

Thank you for picking me to be your mommy because I couldn't imagine my life without you in it.  I thought I really knew what it meant to love someone but when you were born, you proved me wrong.  You've made a better person just because I am your mom.  The world may not be able to understand what you are saying but I do, and I promise to always be your voice. 

I wish I could see the world the way you did because you are always so happy and pleased with whatever you have.  Even when you are upset, it's usually only because you can't tell people what you want.  Your sweet energy and quirky humor put a smile on my face every day.  I love sharing happy moments with you because your laughter is so genuine and contagious.  And when I am sad or lonely, you are always there to ask me if I am okay. 

I don't care if other people stare at us when you do strange things in public because I know that it is normal for you.  You don't ever have to explain yourself because I know you are being the best person you know how to be.  Just remember that I am not trying to be mean to you when you DON'T think you are getting your way because I am just doing what is best for you.  Like the other day when you wanted to go to Chuck-E-Cheese and I had to stop off at home first.  I know you only threw a fit because you were confused when we pulled up in the driveway at home and not the parking lot of Chuck-E-Cheese.  Please be patient with me and you will always get to go to fun places, just like you did that day.

I love how your obsession with drawing Blue's Clues paw prints has evolved into a love for art.  Always do what you love and never let anyone convince you that you are weird or different.  I know that in time, you will surprise everyone with your progress.  I can't wait until you can talk more because I know you will have a lot of interesting things to say.  And knowing that you are your Dad's son, you will have a lot of funny jokes.   

The dreams I had for you when you were born are still the same as they ever will be...and that is that you live a happy and fufilled life. I am the luckiest mommy in the world and I wake up happy every morning knowing that I get to spend my day with you.  I love you, Baba!

Hugs and Kisses,

Mommy    

BaBeezandMe
by Member on Mar. 31, 2012 at 11:28 AM
3 moms liked this

Dear CJ,

I can not begin to express my graditude that GOD chose me to be your Mother!  I am very proud of you and everything you are.  Your Autism is a small part of what makes you who you are and that is perfectly ok.  You have Autism but it doesn't have you my son!!  I have tried to teach you that Autism is NOT a curse but rather a gift!!  It is your power....your super power!  Let your Autism empower you always and you WILL change this world as we know it like everyone that has ever had the pleasure of meeting you tells me!!

The reason you had to see Daddy suffer from cancer and die is because that was to be your inspiration to do what you want to do...Cure Cancer!!  I have the deep belief that if anyone can or will do it...it will be YOU!

You see things that no one else can, you think differently than anyone I have ever known in my entire life and I appreciate and ADORE you for YOU!!!  Your creativity is completely off the hook.  You always have a smile on your face and you simply love people for who they are NOT what you can get from them!!

I have always called you an old soul and I am positive that you are far beyond your young 7 years.

I absolutely adore and love you with every single fiber of my body and I always will!!

Love,

Mommy!

xoxoxoxo

People need to understand that children with special needs are not sick. They are not searching for a cure, just acceptance.   Admin Around 40ish Dungeon Divas.  Come join the fun in the Dungeon @ http://www.cafemom.com/group/115524    Check out my blog at http://www.pitacancercare.blogspot.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN