Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Meet CafeMom's Featured Mom: RockinMama0608

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM
  • 16 Replies

CafeMom is excited to announce a way we're featuring many of our terrific moms. Selected moms will respond to our "Mom of the Day" interview questions, and their interviews will then be posted in the group that they spend the most time in.

Our current featured mom,  RockinMama0608, frequents the Autism: Support Across the Spectrum group.

1. How did you first find out your child was on the autism spectrum? 

When Will was born, he had profound hearing loss that eventually turned into deafness by age 2.  Because of his deafness, he was receiving Early Intervention services as a toddler.  He was not picking up any sign language and was regressing steadily.  One of his therapists recommended that I take him to a developmental pediatrician to check for delays.  She did not mention Autism but I had considered the possibility.   

Right after his third birthday, we received an "unofficial" diagnosis of autism.  The doctor did not want to label him to early because he was also deaf.  He planned on evaluating him more with an audiologist to get a more reliable diagnosis.  However, the military decided to move us so we did not get any of those appointments.  After waiting 17 months (with several unpleasant phone calls), we got him in an appointment at the child evaluation center in Louisville.  He was officially diagnosed before his 5th birthday last April. 

2. What has been the most challenging part of the journey? And the most rewarding? 

The most challenging part of the journey is the fact that he is both deaf and autistic.  As we all know, autistic children often struggle with communication.  When you add hearing loss into the mix, it becomes even more complicated.  Between his teachers and myself, we have worked hard teaching Will ASL and using picture cues. Within the past year, he has started using some signs and communicating via PECS.  His progress has been AMAZING and I am very proud of him! 

One of the most rewarding things is seeing him do something that has taken him longer to achieve.  Seeing how happy his personal achievements make him is very rewarding!  I am very proud of him :)

3. What group do you most frequently hang out in on CafeMom? 

Autism:  Support Across the Spectrum

4. What do you like most about CafeMom? 

Getting the change to meet wonderful moms who understand the joys and struggles of raising a child with special needs.  Receiving support from these women has helped me keep my sanity and learn new ways to improve my son's life.  The journey can be overwhelming at times and CafeMom has given us the chance to interact with other moms who share similar experiences.

5. A mom's spare time is precious (if it exists at all!). How do you spend yours? (Aside from on CafeMom, of course.) 

I enjoy spending time outdoors.  My son loves to explore and play outside so it gives me the opportunity to read, relax, and have some "me" time.  However, a lot of times I join in on the fun the kids are having!

One of my guilty pleasures is tanning (I know, so bad for you!).  DH will watch the boys for me and I will go tanning.

6. What are your favorites:
Book:   Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Movie:  Don't laugh, but the Wedding Singer with Adam Sandler
Song:   Hanging by a Moment by Lifehouse
Food:    Boneless Buffalo Wings with Ranch Dressing.. yum! 
Place to travel to:  Anywhere really, I love traveling!  However, I always love going home to North Carolina when I get the chance  :)

7. Which celebrity mom would you most like to hang out with, and why? 

Reese Witherspoon.  I have always enjoyed watching her movies and doesn't seem to let fame get in the way of spending time with her kids.  

8. If you could give a mom whose child is facing a possible autism diagnosis one bit of advice, what would it be?

To take a deep breath.  The journey of facing a possible autism diagnosis can be long and overwhelming, but do not let it consume your life.  Take time out for yourself and to always remember the love you have for your child(ren). 

9. If you had to choose, what single word best sums you up? 

Optimistic

10. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? And if you work, what's your job?

As a kid, I wanted to be a radiologist.  I always wanted a career in health care and it varied from time to time.  Right now I am a SAHM but going to college for health care administration and management. 

11. If you could trade places with any one person for a day, who would it be?

I wouldn't want to trade places with anyone, even for just a day.  I love my family and my life just the way it is.  :)

Now answer her question for YOU:

This is always a tough one!  But, I would like to know what summer activities do you enjoy the most?

by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mallowcup17
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 6:32 PM

great interview! 

my favorite things to do during the summer are going to the beach, having cookouts, being with friends and eating all the fresh veggies and fish that are abundant that time of year..

tmcris
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Swimming, reading programs for the kids through our local library, going to parks to play, finding free activities to do in the community (i.e. our Bass Pro has free weekly arts and crafts and other fun activities for our kids), going to the farmers market, etc.  Anything that we can do as a family that is fun and inexpensive...

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM

hello there , nice interview ,

im a beach person in the summer , and kids to the park

nicksmom217
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM

i enjoyed reading your story. the best thing for me at summer time, is the ocean and taking walks. thanks for sharing.

momtoscott
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Going to the seaside--harbor or beach.  Going on driving vacations.  And just being able to sit on the patio in the evening and enjoy being outside.   

greenmommo
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Favorite activities would be swimming, cooking out, gardening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ROGUEM
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I love the Wedding Singer too...lol

Great getting to know more about you!

My favorie thing to do in the summer is to sit ouside on my covered patio in the evenings and watch the breeze blow through the trees.

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM

great interview! Going to the beach is fun

VintageWife
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Thanks for the interview. Nice to get to know you. I'm from IN too (north central). There are several places around here great for summer fun :)

DIAMONDDOGRUFF
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 3:28 AM

FRIST OF ALL I LOVE THAT MOVIE THE WEDDING SINGER TOO ITS ONE OF MY FAVORATES   WELL I LOVE TO WORK IN MY YARD GROWING PLANTS  FLOWERS,TREES ITS FUN TO GET SEEDS AND HAVE THE FAMILY JOIN IN AND SEE WHOS PLANT POPS UP FRIRST WHOS FLOWERS FIRST WITCH  PLANT IS THE HEALTHIEST AND WHEN THERE READY TO BE ADDED TO THE YARD ITS ALWAYS FUN TO GET THE HOSES AND HAVE A WATER FIGHT ALLSO I LOVE CRAFTS SO I INVOLVE WHO EVER WANTS TO JOIN ME AT TIME WE  DO CRAFTS OUTSIDE AT THE PICNIC TABLE  ALSO  WE LOVE  GOING TO DIFFERENT PLACES LIKE ZOO, PARKS ,BEACH WATER PARKS AND PACKING UP APICNIC BASKET OF GOODIES ANOTHER GREAT THING WE LIKE TO DO IS CAMPING ENJOYING ALL GODS BEAUTIFUL NATURE SO I HOPE SOME OF THESE IDEAS WE  DO WILL HELP  PLUS MY GIRLFRIEND HAS A BEATIFUL BOY WHO IS AUTISTIC VERY LOVING  AND SPECIAL IN SO MANY WAYS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)