Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Now obesity increases the risk for autism? Thoughts?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 9:50 AM
  • 156 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am sure you all heard about the study that came out yesterday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/10/us-obesity-autism-idUSBRE83900B20120410

I just wonder how this is helping. Yes we need good sound research but we also need help accessing services. So you found the cause, now what? What are your thoughts on the results of this study? Just last week they were linking autism to the age of the father. I can't keep up.

I had a personal trainer during my pregnancy. I signed up before I found out I was pregnant and decided to continue but with modified workouts. So what is the cause for mothers like me?

Follow me on twitter @AutisitcSeas

by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ROGUEM
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM
90 moms liked this

Wait I thought it was vaccines....or was it advanced paternal/maternal age?  I did hear it was anti-depressants, or what about the milk theory? I am sure a study said radio waves and Wi-fi was causing it.

So in other words ------ Fat, old, depressed, milk drinking, computer savvy parents are at risk to have autistic children especially if they choose to vaccinate them.

Glad they got that all cleared up! Now can they go solve our economic crisis!

HFBMOM
by Julie on Apr. 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM
3 moms liked this

I saw the headline for the article, but didn't even want to read it. I don't need the guilt that going there is sure to inflict. 

hrfroggie
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM
17 moms liked this

Personally I am obese and I have 6 children with one on the way and none of my children are autistic. I think that they are trying to blame anything and anyone and personally I do believe that it had more to do with vaccines and our food than anything else... I have as I said had six beautiful healthy children and none of them are autistic. I do not believe that obesity can contribute to autism... I also believe that genetics is a factor. 

Bleu_Fairy
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM
8 moms liked this
When I hear obesity I think of processed food and what they are laced with, little nutrients and lots of chemicals. Besides health issues I am sure the lack of proper nutrition and highly processed diet would impede physical and mental development of the embryo.
AmericanDream
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM
12 moms liked this

They are not saying that obesity during pregnancy CAUSES autism... just that it could be a contributing factor.

Much the same as maternal age and downs syndrome.  That's not to say that EVERY women over 35 has a children with downs syndrome or that nobody under 35 does.  Just that having kids over a certain age increases the risk.

I'm not sure what the big deal is. Autism is on the rise.  It's not about guilt-- It's about trying to figure out why.

aritoyh
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree with you.

Quoting AmericanDream:

They are not saying that obesity during pregnancy CAUSES autism... just that it could be a contributing factor.

Much the same as maternal age and downs syndrome.  That's not to say that EVERY women over 35 has a children with downs syndrome or that nobody under 35 does.  Just that having kids over a certain age increases the risk.

I'm not sure what the big deal is. Autism is on the rise.  It's not about guilt-- It's about trying to figure out why.

marisab
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:44 PM
2 moms liked this

i believe this is anoyther loose tie i also was not obese and my autism actyuually is heraditary on my sons father side so i dont agree with this one at all

Honeybunches26
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM
4 moms liked this

our society loves finding new scary things to attack and scare people with... the only theory that I have heard and can see it being true is diet... and animal products including dairy and meats all meats... if any of you have read or seen any of the fact based novers/ movies on meat and the dieseases it causes than you will probably know this.. we live in a world where the board members of the fda are also members of drug companies and own meat stock... this is not illegal here... therefore advising the masses to indulge in foods that are "good in moderation" but toxic in large quanaties keeps them sick and taking medications.. such as autism.. I do not aim to blame anyone because in reality the main resources of health information is innacuarate...  but i have heard of a family called the Gersons and am currently reading their book.. and they have been able to help cure/improve the lives of autistic children.. through very strick but healthy diets.. of raw veggies and fruits.. the properties found inside of veggies and fruits promote the abilty to heal... most doctors do not support vegans/ vegaterians because in school doctors do not have decent trainning in nutrition or prevention only in treatment!  

marisab
by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting ROGUEM:

Wait I thought it was vaccines....or was it advanced paternal/maternal age?  I did hear it was anti-depressants, or what about the milk theory? I am sure a study said radio waves and Wi-fi was causing it.

So in other words ------ Fat, old, depressed, milk drinking, computer savvy parents are at risk to have autistic children especially if they choose to vaccinate them.

Glad they got that all cleared up! Now can they go solve our economic crisis!

hahahahha so right and also inflation,cancer and hmmmm where is that magicla foutain of youth?i alsway love your answers!!

Poisongirl98
by Member on Apr. 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't think there is any one cause, there are several possible risk factors. This study is not saying if a woman is obese that her child will have autism, but that it could possibly increase the risk.   With all the various research saying there are various possible risk factors makes it difficult to actually prevent or lessen the severity, but I don't think it means scientists should stop researching possible risk factors.  Doesn't mean by avoiding the risk factors it'll actually prevent it though, because i think genetics still plays a huge part. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)