Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Meet CafeMom's Featured Mom: twins0506

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:36 PM
  • 21 Replies

CafeMom is excited to announce a way we're featuring many of our terrific moms. Selected moms will respond to our "Mom of the Day" interview questions, and their interviews will then be posted in the group that they spend the most time in.

Our current featured mom,  twins0506, frequents the Autism: Support Across the Spectrum group.

1. How did you first find out your child was on the autism spectrum?
My pediatrician recommended I get my boys, who were 19 months at the time, evaluated for speech. The speech evaluator was evaluating them and said, "you know I think they have what's called PDD-NOS." So he put in a recommendation for an eval for that. He left the house that day, I went on the computer and Googled PDD-NOS and read it's on the autism spectrum. Being my boys fit basically every criteria, I cried the rest of the day and cried myself to sleep, not even knowing if they had it or not. It all went all downhill from there... Well until now.

2. What has been the most challenging part of the journey? And the most rewarding? 
The most challenging part is seeing all the toddlers their age running on the playground, using the equipment correctly. Running to their mommy telling her they love her and giving her big hugs and kisses. Hearing my brother talk about my niece (only 4 months older) how she was saying the complete alphabet at 2 years old and counting to 100. The most rewarding part is seeing how far the boys have come in such a short amount of time.

3. What group do you most frequently hang out in on CafeMom? 
Autism: Support Across the Spectrum. This is the only group I can come to that everyone understands what I'm going thru and I feel comfortable talking to everyone.

4. What do you like most about CafeMom? 
I love CafeMom and how they have created this place where all different types of moms can come together. You find a group that relates to you and that's it. I don't really have real life friends. It's all online friends. If it weren't for CafeMom I would have no friends!

5. A mom's spare time is precious (if it exists at all!). How do you spend yours? (Aside from on CafeMom, of course.) 
I like to hang out with my family. We don't have to do anything at all. I just like being with them. Going to the park, shopping. Just being with them makes me happy.

6. What are your favorites:
Book: I don't read. I start books but never finish them.
Movie: it always changes. Right now it's the titanic.
Song: I don't have one of those either. I'm a boring person.
Food: I love cheese! Anything cheese I don't care!
Place to travel to: I want and am going to go on a cruise one day. I don't care where but I will.

7. Which celebrity mom would you most like to hang out with, and why? 
I really admire Angelina Jolie. I think it was so wonderful of her to adopt children from other countries.

8. If you could give a mom whose child is facing a possible autism diagnosis one bit of advice, what would it be?
Life isn't over. The dreams you had for them when they got bigger, they can still do. It may be a little harder, but it can still be done.

9. If you had to choose, what single word best sums you up? 
I said it before...boring.

10. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? And if you work, what's your job?
I wanted to be a nurse. I work... I'm a full time mommy.

11. If you could trade places with any one person for a day, who would it be?
I would trade places with my sister. Not because I want to be her but because I want her to see how hard I have it. She thinks my life is so easy.

Now answer her question for YOU: 

What is one thing you would live to see you child accomplish when he/she gets older?

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Id like him to talk

mallowcup17
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM

i want Selena to become a hairdresser because no matter when we ask her from the time she was about 5 that has been her dream and I want to help her get there. 

I want Dakota to live her dreams out, what those are, well some days she says she wants to be a real estate agent(i watch too much house hunters lol) or she wants to be a chef. 

I just want them to be happy :) 

momtoscott
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I want him to be able to live independently, if that's at all possible.

apple612
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I enjoyed reading your response.  Very well said.

smarieljlee
by Sara on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I dont think you are boring at all.

For Bella, I cant wait for her to find her groove. I do not know how her gifts will manifest, but I can not wait to find out!

For Mia, the same. Although I am not sure just yet what hers are. Time will tell!

ceci420
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I want to see him be a top cook, he always has to participate in his own meals, and talk, alot of our problems are communication right now.

greenmommo
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:49 PM
I would like for my DD to live on her own (I may still have to pick out her clothes), have a career and feel comfortable in her skin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hometeaching
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM

We have 3 autistic boys, ages 13 - 17.  The oldest is high functioning, but is also epileptic and struggles with learning and memory.  He is very social and wants to learn to play an instrument so he can be on the youth worship team at church.  It would be a miracle if he could do this, but I would be so blessed if he achieves his dream!

Beej143
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

the one thing i wish for sooo bad is to hear him say 'i love you mommy' ... this will be a huge accomplishment and i do believe i will throw a party on the day it happens... i have faith that my lil man will come out of his shell someday and express at least that part of his feelings... fingers crossed and tons of prayers!!

nicksmom217
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM

i would trade places with my sister for the same reason as you. good interview. to see my son have a  proffesionand quality friends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)