Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Meet CafeMom's Featured Mom: DyerMaker

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM
  • 12 Replies
2 moms liked this

CafeMom is excited to announce a way we're featuring many of our terrific moms. Selected moms will respond to our "Mom of the Day" interview questions, and their interviews will then be posted in the group that they spend the most time in.

Our current featured mom,  DyerMaker, frequents the Autism: Support Across the Spectrum group.

1. How did you first find out your child was on the autism spectrum? 

My son developed normally up until about 13 months of age. At around 15 months of age he "lost" the 10 words he could say. He became very irritable. I just thought it was a phase. At his well check, I mentioned it to his pediatrician who encouraged me to get free speech therapy for my child through early intervention. They came, reviewed my son, played with him, worked with him and Autism was mentioned several times. I fought the diagnosis tooth and nail. I decided to learn a little about autism on my own online just to "prove them wrong". As I did more research, I realized that yes, it was worth it to get an evaluation. 2 weeks after his second birthday, he was evaluated. He was a "textbook case".

2. What has been the most challenging part of the journey? And the most rewarding?

The most challenging so far was getting my DH on board, and then dealing with the depression that came afterwards. We felt like we "lost" a child. The most rewarding has been how freeing the diagnosis ended up being for our family. We no longer focused on my child meeting a specific milestone, or comparing his achievements to his peers. When we stepped back and did just that, we saw how truly brilliant and loving our son is. 

3. What group do you most frequently hang out in on CafeMom? 

Autism: Support Across the Spectrum

4. What do you like most about CafeMom? 

I feel like I have finally found a support system! This works for me and my family since I can come on any time I get a chance to.

5. A mom's spare time is precious (if it exists at all!). How do you spend yours? (Aside from on CafeMom, of course.) 

What spare time? haha! I like to write, cook and window shop.

6. What are your favorites:
Book: No Greater Love by Mother Theresa
Movie : Singing in the Rain
Song : She's Like Texas by Josh Abbott
Food : Homemade Spaghetti
Place to travel to : anywhere where a hammock and drinks in umbrellas are served at. It's been a few years!

7. Which celebrity mom would you most like to hang out with, and why? 

Holly Robinson Peete. She and her husband, Rodney have been very inspirational.

8. If you could give a mom whose child is facing a possible autism diagnosis one bit of advice, what would it be? 

Your child is STILL the same kid he was yesterday. S/He still needs your love, affection, attention, and support.

9. If you had to choose, what single word best sums you up? 

Enthusiastic

10. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? And if you work, what's your job?

I always wanted to be a newscaster. I saw myself as the next host of GMA or the Today show. I wanted to fight for what was right in the world. I am a Stay at home mom, and even though I am NOT a newscaster, I have been given a great gift and opportunity to help right some wrongs in this world when it comes to Autism Spectrum Disorders. Every Person COUNTS!

11. If you could trade places with any one person for a day, who would it be?

I think I would actually trade places with my DH. I would love to know what a normal day for him is like at work. It would help to make our relationship a lot stronger. He would walk in my shoes, and I would walk in his. I think it would help for me to see his challenges and struggles.

Now answer her question for YOU:

Who/what inspires you to be a better mom?

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mallowcup17
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM

great interview!

i guess my kids inspire me the most and also i have a wonderful mother myself so she helps a lot and is able to show me how to parent in situations that i have trouble with...shes awesome

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:23 PM

good interview!!! my MIL inspires me too

angelhart3
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM

My own mom actually. She passed away 9 yrs ago though. Mother had heart full of love and shewas so 'family strong'. She really did 'hold the family' together, love everyone, help everyone...and the word "selfish" was never her. Mom had alot of energy, determination, and sacrifice about her. I truly miss her, we were best friends too, but I'd never be selfish enough to take her away from Heaven. I pray I'm the same with mine.girl giving flower

twins0506
by Holly on Apr. 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM
Great interview :) The people that inspire me to be a better mom are the dead beat parents. Everything I see wrong with them I know I don't want to do with my children. I want my children to have the very best and I will throw myself over a bridge to give it to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Nice to get to know you!  Who or what inspires me to be a better mom?  I have a lot of inspirations because I see so many great kids and moms around in my daily life.  A lot of the moms here on the ASD forum are so patient and well-informed, so nice and creative, that they have inspired me to try to be more understanding and creative myself. 

apple612
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

My children inspire me to be a better mom.  I don't have much support from family.  I wish I did.  They truly do not understand unless they go through it themselves.

DyerMaker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Thank you so much for letting me be a part of this group!! I would like to answer my own question...

I cannot tell you how MUCH you gals in here have meant to me. Just to see that there IS someone out there dealing with similar issues has helped tremendously. Family doesn't seem to understand, and a lot of my friends have fallen to the wayside. Just when I think I cannot deal with things, I will take a break, get on here and log on, to feel empowered, cry with, or simply sit in awe of each and every one of you moms. YOU, (each and every one of you) inspire me to be a better mother. 

Leobaby2007
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:13 PM

The other moms I meet IRL and here inspire me to be a better mother!

Loved your interview.

LOL- I fought tooth and nail too for awhile, to prove a child pyschologist wrong who suspected my son hds PDD when he was 17 months. I knew it was possible, but I just got so mad when she suggested it. I had other doctors tell me they did not think he had ASD at all and I tried to hang on to that hope for awhile, but eventually, I couldn't deny it anymore.

He wasn't just delayed. He wasn't going to catch up by age 2 or 3 or 4. It just wasn't going to happen. Sigh.

Also, I still have been unable to get my DH 100% on board!!! Sheesh! He's a stubborn one...

Congrats on being featured!!!!

DyerMaker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Quoting Leobaby2007:

The other moms I meet IRL and here inspire me to be a better mother!

Loved your interview.

LOL- I fought tooth and nail too for awhile, to prove a child pyschologist wrong who suspected my son hds PDD when he was 17 months. I knew it was possible, but I just got so mad when she suggested it. I had other doctors tell me they did not think he had ASD at all and I tried to hang on to that hope for awhile, but eventually, I couldn't deny it anymore.

He wasn't just delayed. He wasn't going to catch up by age 2 or 3 or 4. It just wasn't going to happen. Sigh.

Also, I still have been unable to get my DH 100% on board!!! Sheesh! He's a stubborn one...

Congrats on being featured!!!!

I have a little unsolicited advice, the book "Not My Boy" by Rodney Peete really seemed to help my DH come to terms with things. It is written by a father, so it give a mens perspective on things. Maybe that would help... other than that, frying pan to the head? lol!

myfirstborn04
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Awesome interview! My boys inspire me to be a better mom. I think everyone growing up says they are going to be the best mom. When I wad a child I remember playing house and having tea parties dreaming of one day being a mom. It never dawn on me how hard being a mother much less a mother of special needs boys would be.You learn to do things differently. They teach me more about patience love and understanding than I could ever teach them. Being a mom is hard but the love I get from them is priceless! I realy liked how you shared about getting your Dh on board. I struggle getting through to mine. He still thinks its just a phase. I hope one day he will understand and then we can truly be on the same page. Thank you for sharing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)